zerbs

Stranger Things (Netflix)

This show is just utterly attention-grabbing with both its dialogue and its dynamic visual aesthetic. I didn't really care how long each episode was since there are like five plot threads to follow and I just moved onto the next one. 

The Russia storyline seems to be getting the most negative feedback but I actually really enjoyed it. The new supporting Russian characters are both solid, and I fully expect it'll tie in with the US storylines by the end.

Edited by AniNate

Got to admit, I was cynical about this season after feeling burned by the lacklustre second and third seasons, but I’m on episode 4 and really enjoying it so far. Best season for me, and for all the fuss about the budget, you can definitely see they’ve put all that money up on the screen, it looks fantastic, particularly Vecna. It’s heavily influenced by A Nightmare in Elm Street, but since we haven’t had a good NOES film since the 90’s (I’ve got a soft spot for New Nightmare), I’ll let it slide, plus that extended cameo by a certain actor brought a smile to my face.

The episode lengths haven’t bothered me either, the first episode felt a bit bloated, but after that it felt like each episode earned its length.

2 hours ago, AniNate said:

This show is just utterly attention-grabbing with both its dialogue and its dynamic visual aesthetic. I didn't really care how long each episode was since there are like five plot threads to follow and I just moved onto the next one. 

The Russia storyline seems to be getting the most negative feedback but I actually really enjoyed it. The new supporting Russian characters are both solid, and I fully expect it'll tie in with the US storylines by the end.

Annoying thing is we still dont know about how Russia even got involved. 

Spoiler

obviously hopper was captured by Russians in upside down from one of their gates? But that was not explained at all. hopefully those threads are closed in the final episodes. 

Also the whole thing about Joyce/Murray pulling a MI like rescue from Russian prisons seems too farfetched. So I can concur with negative sentiments. Though Joyce/Murray chemistry is very good. But I wish that was leveraged elsewhere. 

I agree that it's a weak link, questionable move to put the three least interesting characters in the series together but 

Spoiler

thought their storyline picked up w/ the Suzie detour (very broad and silly but a nice bit of levity to the proceedings). Hopefully Argyle and his possible new mormon-defect goth gf add some spice to it

Edited by AniNate

Honestly binging this season right after Kenobi makes the latter look like a student movie. There's that big of a leap in filmmaking aptitude between the two. This is how you make actual premium TV. 

Best season of this show so far. Can't wait for part 2. Episode 4 was indeed quite the nail-biter. 

• Like 3