grim22

Secret Life of Pets 2 | June 7 2019 | Illumination | Dropped more than half from the first movie. Also 14th most profitable movie of 2019

I think I found the plot for this.

Max’s owner buys Haddish shih tzu. Max wants to smash the Tiffany Haddish shih tzu, but the owner finds out and doesn’t want puppies (yet for some reason she got an apartment with three dogs) and Max is sent to the vet to be neutered and the rest of pets must save Max.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DAJK said:

Why the hell is Universal marketing this more heavily than Grinch? :lol: 

Like, trailers every month... we're 8 months out and it already feels like we won't be seeing the end of this marketing campaign. And The Grinch had... billboards. 

The Grinch's billboards are actually pretty dope, though :rofl: 

Also, I imagine they're just following the pattern that worked for Pets 1 marketing-wise, which is to start marketing reeeeeeeeally far out in advance. And this time they have to especially worry about a fuckton of family competition..... hell, it even comes out two weeks after Aladdin, one week after Godzilla 2 and Rocketman. in the same weekend as Dark Phoenix, and only two weeks before Toy Story 4. If I were Universal, I'd consider moving this movie to outside of Summer. Which would be a risk, granted, since kids are in school and all, but these Pets movies are pretty four-quadrant appealing so it wouldn't rely just on kids, and the Hotel Transylvania films prove that you can be a successful animated film in the fall season. No one expects this to outgross the first one anyway, so maybe a September opening would be a good idea. Yeah, Spies In Disguise and Abominable are already there, but I'm sure they'd run away to find another spot elsewhere. Hell, Abominable is basically Smallfoot 2.0 - only difference is that the humans find a yeti rather than the opposite - so I don't see it doing that great over there (or in general) anyway.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

3 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

The Grinch's billboards are actually pretty dope, though :rofl: 

Also, I imagine they're just following the pattern that worked for Pets 1 marketing-wise, which is to start marketing reeeeeeeeally far out in advance. And this time they have to especially worry about a fuckton of family competition..... hell, it even comes out two weeks after Aladdin, one week after Godzilla 2 and Rocketman. in the same weekend as Dark Phoenix, and only two weeks before Toy Story 4. If I were Universal, I'd consider moving this movie to outside of Summer. Which would be a risk, granted, since kids are in school and all, but these Pets movies are pretty four-quadrant appealing so it wouldn't rely just on kids, and the Hotel Transylvania films prove that you can be a successful animated film in the fall season. No one expects this to outgross the first one anyway, so maybe a September opening would be a good idea. Yeah, Spies In Disguise and Abominable are already there, but I'm sure they'd run away to find another spot elsewhere. Hell, Abominable is basically Smallfoot 2.0 - only difference is that the humans find a yeti rather than the opposite - so I don't see it doing that great over there (or in general) anyway.

If it weren’t for the schedule I could see this pulling a DM2. That being said I expect a decrease but more along the lines of Madagascar 2 than KFP2. TS4, Aladdin and Pets 2 are going to kill each other’s potential but that’s the 2019 schedule and Disney’s greed for you.

Although I doubt they’d move things but a September release could work mainly since Universal can easily push Abominable back to 2020 or November even cause outside of Frozen 2 nothing is a threat and with Fox not officially saying the release date for Spies In Disguise (despite the slot being claimed) it can easily go to the Disney streaming service.

Actually if I were Universal I’d push this to November 1st, as Charlie’s Angels and Terminator are no threats, and Sonic would easily move elsewhere. It still have three weeks until Frozen 2, hell it may even scare Disney to put it back at Thanksgiving.

• Like 1

TBH, I think Pets' release date is fine. Yeah its direct competition is stronger and closer to the film than the first one, but it still has summer weekdays, and it's a sequel to a popular movie audiences really liked from an animation studio with Pixar levels of credibility and trust amongst audiences. I also don't think Toy Story will open on the level of even Finding Dory, so it really won't be that tough competition, even with there only being a two-week gap between movies. Plus there's a new trailer each month which will help boost awareness and hype for the film. It definitely won't reach the first movie's levels (I never thought it could do that), but somewhere in the $290M-310M range seems about right, which I'm pretty sure Uni would be satisfied with.

• Like 1

I have some concerns about this sequel. I think this has the potential to be regarded as much better than the first, and in order to do that, the team needs to capitalize on, well, the secret life of pets.

Here's what I mean: when the trailer for the first film came out, I don't think it was all the shenanigans about getting the dogs back to their owner that interested the parents enough to take their kids en masse. I think it was the footage from the beginning montage, where all of the pets were going about their secret lives; those small gags, which had the relatable commentary about the pets, were the ones that had the appeal that actually got the people in the theater in the first place.

I'm not gonna raise my hopes too high, because I'm not sure if Illumination can go back to the roots of the first Despicable Me in order to pull it off, but I believe this film would be better off if it presented itself in a much more reserved sort of way. And I'll say, the first two trailers we've had so far are a pretty nice display of what I'm looking for from this project.

The fact that they're presenting the film by the way of character trailers is really promising, actually; this is a great cast of performers and a potentially memorable set of characters, and it would be a smart decision to have them play off of each other in more ways than just simply servicing the film's plot.

It's wrong of me to completely write off a film, so I'm going to keep a close eye on this. Illumination has an opportunity to surprise a lot of people and expand on their vision for the film; I can only hope they take it.

I just saw Spider-Verse, and I got the Snowball trailer there. It's not up online though (guess poor timing with the Kevin Hart controversy?), but it's definitely the weakest of the three trailers so far. They also don't mention who the next character will be.

Edited by CoolEric258