grim22

Secret Life of Pets 2 | June 7 2019 | Illumination | Dropped more than half from the first movie. Also 14th most profitable movie of 2019

I saw the first on opening weekend (I think or maybe it was the week after. P. sure it was the week) to a packed house.

Now, the theater I saw it in is condemned and AMC isn't fixing it again, the other theater is out of commission (& who knows if Regal will fix it, but it has a lot less damage), and the one we have left can only fit about 70 people instead of about 120.

/csb

• Like 1

The UK performance is actually not as bad as first thought, it’s second weekend was down only -16% (despite opening the same day as Aladdin and Rocketman). 

It reduced the drop from the first film from 49% to 29% over the holiday week. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jim Shorts said:

Can someone explain why this is projected to drop 50% from the first film? How does a follow up to a $350m movie drop so much?

I think it could be the same way IT2 and Jumanji 3 could drop from their previous movies.  They were a fluke, a one-time loophole that has been plugged.

18 hours ago, Jim Shorts said:

Can someone explain why this is projected to drop 50% from the first film? How does a follow up to a $350m movie drop so much?

The first one looked unique and fun. This one looks like more of the same with no hook.

I took 3 of my kids to see this movie tonight, ages 3, 10 and 16. We also saw a second movie. I took the 3 year old to see KotM and the two older ones (both girls) opted to see Aladdin. Out of the four of us, I was the only one who liked SLOP2 more than the other movie they saw. Yeah, my little guy enjoyed KotM more than he did SLOP2... I did not see that coming!

The biggest problem for me is there is not much of a story here. I could write a plot summary in about three sentences and not miss anything of consequence. I feel this is a common affliction with animated sequels, like the Minion Movie. The studios must think "well, the previous one did great so we'll just make a second and throw in enough jokes and everyone will eat it up", except it never works out. There are actually a lot of parallels with Madagascar 3, which put the brakes on that franchise.

Anyway, despite the lack of a plot I still liked SLOP2 more than I did the Incredibles 2, so maybe I'm crazy.

Edited by doublejack
  • Like 1

https://deadline.com/2020/04/the-secret-life-of-pets-2-movie-profit-2019-illumination-1202911645/

THE BOTTOM LINE

Despite Pets 2 falling short of the first movie, the good news is that it turned a profit, in large part due to the thrifty production cost associated with Illumination movies — this one at $80M. Participations are typically lower on animated movies versus live-action event movies, and here they were at $20M. Revenue including global home entertainment and TV rang up $393M, and against total costs of $275M, The Secret Life of Pets 2 becomes the first title in our tournament to net over $100M with $118M in profit.

• Astonished 1

On 1/31/2019 at 1:20 PM, James said:

omg the trailers for this are so good. this is making 1b:rofl:

On 4/12/2019 at 12:21 PM, Gabriel Sales said:

To the despair of Illumination 'haters': Pets 2 will make more than $ 1 billion worldwide! 🤑🤑

🤔