grim22

Secret Life of Pets 2 | June 7 2019 | Illumination | Dropped more than half from the first movie. Also 14th most profitable movie of 2019

I've seen nearly all the trailers and I'm still not sure what the plot is supposed to be. The synopsis only points to one plotline out of apparently five.

Edited by cookie

1 hour ago, NCsoft said:

What exactly happened to this?

You would think a follow up to an Illumination original that did like $875M back in 2016 would be more anticipated than this.

Yeah, but it was pure cotton candy. Even the first Despicable Me had more substance.

I think the novelty has completely worn off. It was cute for the GA the first time but maybe for many one time was enough. Though it's Illumination I would never underestimate them at this point and their budgets are so low that its gonna be profitable at the end of the day. If this does underperform might send some warning signs for Sing 2 though.

I might be on board with this after the full trailer that finally showed what the heck this is supposed to be about. The stuff with Max and Harrison Ford's character looks like it could be promising. No idea how the rest of the characters and city parts tie into the countryside Max part though, seems like two separate movies. 

On an aside, why haven't trailers jumped on using The Killers "All These Things That I've Done" before now? Could lead to some epic trailers. 

Edited by MovieMan89

14 hours ago, DAJK said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here.

60M OW

170M domestic

515M WW

It’s gonna make more overseas. I think this will drop a lot domestically but maybe even increase internationally from the first movie. Could be like the Ice Age movies. 

Edited by Godzilla

50 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Begins in one minute and my showing for this is dead.  Only 5 other people.  Even Hotel Transylvania 3’s sneak peeks had about 30 other people in it

Just to give a contra example, outside of one of the lowest performing theaters in the region, it's doing very well here in Sacramento.

Don't have anything to gauge it against, but at the moment 68% of all tickets locally were sold, two hours before showtimes, with some sellouts on the horizon.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DAJK said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here.

60M OW

170M domestic

515M WW

The first adjusts to 400m. Can't see how it's possible for an admissions drop off that extreme, even if audiences hate it. Especially since the first was well liked by the target audience and it's only a first sequel.

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

The first adjusts to 400m. Can't see how it's possible for an admissions drop off that extreme, even if audiences hate it. Especially since the first was well liked by the target audience and it's only a first sequel.

Look at Kung Fu Panda 2. Or How to Train Your Dragon 2.

Edited by cannastop