grim22

Secret Life of Pets 2 | June 7 2019 | Illumination | Dropped more than half from the first movie. Also 14th most profitable movie of 2019

I'm honestly not sure if Illumination has gotten worse at marketing or if I've gotten better at tuning out of their bullshit.  Probably a mix of both because I was inundated with ads for the first Secret Life of Pets and the most I've gotten for this is trailers before kids movies

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

I'm honestly not sure if Illumination has gotten worse at marketing or if I've gotten better at tuning out of their bullshit.  Probably a mix of both because I was inundated with ads for the first Secret Life of Pets and the most I've gotten for this is trailers before kids movies

Let’s hope they’ve gotten worse. They milk the shit out of their franchises till there’s nothing but dry bones. 

The plot is: 

Douche Woody dog gets anxiety issues, chick dog takes care of dwd’s toy and has it stolen by cats and try’s to become one and Kevin Hart Bunny tries to free a tiger for Haddish Dog. I guess they all intersect as Max tries to fight two wolves.

• Like 1

All I hope out of this is that it's funny. I haven't found Illumination all that funny since Sing. I liked the 1st trailer. But then again, the teaser trailer for the 1st movie might be the best trailer ever for an animated movie, and the film was a giant letdown in comparison (it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't good either).

It’s getting great audience reviews on RT. Not saying their new system is totally valid, but those who’ve watched it seem to like it. 

94%/93% though it’s still early and with only 600 reviews. Plus I think those who choose to see movies early tend to give more favorable reviews.

On 5/24/2019 at 9:55 PM, DAJK said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here.

60M OW

170M domestic

515M WW

Should I bump this after the UK opening? Also I do have that club of Dark Phoenix over SLOP2 weekend

4 hours ago, Deja23 said:

It’s getting great audience reviews on RT. Not saying their new system is totally valid, but those who’ve watched it seem to like it. 

94%/93% though it’s still early and with only 600 reviews. Plus I think those who choose to see movies early tend to give more favorable reviews.

Seems like early critic reviews are on the strong end for Illumination as well, several already saying better than the first. The fact that Aladdin, SLOP2, and TS4 all have a chance to be very well received by audiences makes me even more annoyed they all got sandwiched together on the schedule. A nice chunk of change is gonna likely be left on the table for all three. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, filmlover said:

There were Fandango exclusive screenings held around the country yesterday afternoon.

Speaking of which, any numbers reported for that?  Haven't found any at a quick glance.

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Speaking of which, any numbers reported for that?  Haven't found any at a quick glance.

Not yet. It usually takes a few days for Fandango to report that stuff. I'm still waiting for those Rocketman numbers.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Godzilla said:

Let’s hope they’ve gotten worse. They milk the shit out of their franchises till there’s nothing but dry bones. 

Which franchises are you talking about? 

On 11/21/2018 at 7:49 AM, Slambros said:

I have some concerns about this sequel. I think this has the potential to be regarded as much better than the first, and in order to do that, the team needs to capitalize on, well, the secret life of pets.

Here's what I mean: when the trailer for the first film came out, I don't think it was all the shenanigans about getting the dogs back to their owner that interested the parents enough to take their kids en masse. I think it was the footage from the beginning montage, where all of the pets were going about their secret lives; those small gags, which had the relatable commentary about the pets, were the ones that had the appeal that actually got the people in the theater in the first place.

I'm not gonna raise my hopes too high, because I'm not sure if Illumination can go back to the roots of the first Despicable Me in order to pull it off, but I believe this film would be better off if it presented itself in a much more reserved sort of way. And I'll say, the first two trailers we've had so far are a pretty nice display of what I'm looking for from this project.

The fact that they're presenting the film by the way of character trailers is really promising, actually; this is a great cast of performers and a potentially memorable set of characters, and it would be a smart decision to have them play off of each other in more ways than just simply servicing the film's plot.

It's wrong of me to completely write off a film, so I'm going to keep a close eye on this. Illumination has an opportunity to surprise a lot of people and expand on their vision for the film; I can only hope they take it.

Now, I know full well that there's only 19 scores compiled in that RT so far, but a percentage as high as 74% has me questioning whether I was onto something or not. I'll be watching the progression of the RT like a hawk.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

The plot is: 

Douche Woody dog gets anxiety issues, chick dog takes care of dwd’s toy and has it stolen by cats and try’s to become one and Kevin Hart Bunny tries to free a tiger for Haddish Dog. I guess they all intersect as Max tries to fight two wolves.

That's what I figured from the final trailer. That's worrying. Illumination diluted the fairly interesting plot of Gru finding his twin brother and dipping his toes into the water with villainy again with the pointless side plots in Despicable Me 3. Hopefully the same thing doesn't happen with SLoP 2.

Edited by stealthyfrog
  • Like 1

I know it sounds cliche at this point but you wonder if there are just so many tickets that people can buy. Could SLOP2 decrease from SLOP on opening weekend by as much as 50%??? I don't think so, but the drop is still looking sizeable.

As many have said, this is just too many tentpole family films bunched together.