Grade It  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Won't repeat what's already been said because I agree with it. You get the sense half of these actors deserve better. Even Ben Affleck, who has a minute of screentime and still looks like he's reading his lines from an offcamera card. 

Yet I'm disgusted by the sexism in this movie. It's not like BvS where they failed to give its women something interesting to do but they clearly tried. This film is filled with characters whose only real badness seems to be treating women poorly. And poor Margot Robbie... how the script and the leery camera treats her character...

• Like 7

It was bad. Not Fantastic Four level bad, but it was worse than the Green Lantern for me. The Green Lantern at least had a damn story. This film had nothing. I felt like I was watching a music video or something. Any dialogue was over powered by that obnoxious music. Little to no character development. Like why should I should care whats happening to these people? Terrible editing. No plot. No real story. Like I said its just there. Like WB/DC thought they could just throw the characters on the screen and that would be enough. Also the villain? Cara Delevigne should never act in another film ever again after that nonsense. Was she a villain or a fucking hula dancer sashaying her way throughout the film? The villain and the acting of the villain were the worst aspects of the film. 

I do not recommend this film. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AJG said:

I need to talk about the shit I just saw.

I just don't know what to say. The first 20 minutes play out like a puzzle where none of the pieces fit together, just random. The rest of movie is pretty much the characters walking about the city and shooting monsters, it was as engaging as somebody else play Call of Duty. The last half hour was SHOCKING. A guy just transformed into a monster out of nowhere and starts fighting with this other thing in a scene ripped straight out of God's of Egypt, horrible CGI and all. The final battle was clearly reshot, it takes place on one cheap set I wouldn't be surprised was borrowed from a TV show. The budget seemed to have disappeared too because that scene was COVERED in smog. You couldn't see shit. Shit looked like this in 144p:

The characters just seemed to be... there. The villain is horrible. She's just evil for the sake of being evil with an evil plan to destroy the world blah blah blah. You really don't care, she stands in the same spot doing a funny dance for most of the movie. Her dialogue seemed to be ripped out of something like Flash Gordon. Joker is the worst Joker I've seen outside of a comic book. He's just a thug with mental condition, that's pretty much it. The mystery is gone. He's covered in tat's that are full of personality, has a fashion sense that shows he actually cares about his fashion, drives a custom-made purple lambo which I wouldn't be surprised to find out he paid for instead of stole. Leto wasn't the problem, the Joker 'wannabe' characterization was. Diablo was cool as hell but they didn't spend enough time with him, and by time they do it feels like the movie is doing one of those TV talent show sob stories, and by the end of the movie he feels wasted because his character showed so much potential. I'd seriously watch a movie about him. Harley is just the annoying girl at Uni that everyone eventually has to tell is annoying when she finally goes too far: she's fun at the occasional party on a night out, but you don't want to deal with her shit during the day (the kind of girl that's gonna dress up like Harley Quinn on halloween). Deadshot was the best but the movie kept hammering on and on about his daughter, we fucking get it. I've pretty much forgotten who else was there. 

The film gets more and more jumbled, there's a part where the characters get angry at Rick Flag and I still don't know why. Their job was to stop some evil shit and they were ok with it, I don't know why they just decided to be upset. They got some info about how the villain got loose and started getting angry and i'm sitting there like "WHY DO YOU EVEN CARE?!?!" The music seemed to have been stolen from a 13 year old's Spotify playlist and is poorly implemented into scenes that I imagine were much darker and tense originally (the Kehlani song during Harley's 'birth', the Action Bronson song during Deadshot's flashback, the Eminem song comes out of fucking nowhere).

This is an appalling movie. It's just horribly put together. However I would love to have seen Ayer's original vision. There's so much stuff here that's on the cusp of working and the tampering is incredibly obvious.

I did not enjoy this movie. Frankly you're better off watching Assault on Arkham, an animated movie that's 10x more grounded than this tried to be and 10x less forced than this thing felt.

I give it :sadben::sadben::sadben::sadben:/ 10.

It also ranks on my list of the worst movies I've paid to see in a cinema

1) Transformers 2

2) POTC 3

3) Sucker Punch

4) Fant4stic

5) XO: Wolverine

6) Johnny English 2

7) Warcraft

8) 50 Shades of Grey

9) Suicide Squad

10) SharkBoy and Lava Girl.

THIS. I walked out shocked at how bad this was. The entire drive home, I was like man how could anyone think this wasn't a complete disaster?!

I couldn't believe the last 30 minutes were that horrible. I compared it to Gods Of Egypt too when Diablo transformed to face her brother. The Enchantress voice...oh I was trying so hard to contain my laughter. Not even the reviews prepared me.

I'm in the group that thought the 2nd act was the best but it was nothing special. At least that part felt sort of coherent? Like you said it felt like characters walking down a street and bashing in clay monsters for....reasons? Will Smith had this thing with Rick Flag that I didn't care about.

Yeah I remember that scene where they get angry at him and then I think go to the bar? I don't even know man. The editing was atrocious. It should have been an easy concept and they seriously screwed it up so badly.

This was by far the biggest letdown of the year for me.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Nova said:

It was bad. Not Fantastic Four level bad, but it was worse than the Green Lantern for me. The Green Lantern at least had a damn story. This film had nothing. I felt like I was watching a music video or something. Any dialogue was over powered by that obnoxious music. Little to no character development. Like why should I should care whats happening to these people? Terrible editing. No plot. No real story. Like I said its just there. Like WB/DC thought they could just throw the characters on the screen and that would be enough. Also the villain? Cara Delevigne should never act in another film ever again after that nonsense. Was she a villain or a fucking hula dancer sashaying her way throughout the film? The villain and the acting of the villain were the worst aspects of the film. 

I do not recommend this film. 

And this. Pretty much how I felt. 

Like seriously what the hell were you thinking WB?

You should watch Double Toasteds review. It's really funny. Korey goes OFF on those last 30 minutes.

• Like 1

This is the worst tentpole studio film I've seen in a long long time. I'm trying to find reasons to not give it an F because it seems quite harsh, but it honestly deserves it, mostly because it fails on every level as a piece of filmmaking. The direction is clumsy, the acting is bad and gets gradually worse as the film goes (a lot of it is the script's fault), the editing is HORRIBLE, the dialogue is cringe-inducing. I'm not sure if there was even a score to comment on because all I can recall is the movie desperately trying to manipulate me into thinking its creating a specific mood by playing music over nearly every scene. It feels like a twelve year old made most of the decisions in the editing room. Most of its attempts at humour aren't funny at all and you can tell Margot Robbie tries really hard to distract you from how awful the script is. Such a shame they messed up her character, along with every other character in the movie.

The more I think about Suicide Squad the angrier it makes me. I don't know why Warner Bros. didn't step in and force them to reshoot/rewrite a lot of this even it meant a delay. I wouldn't be surprised if this tarnishes the box office potential for future DC adaptations it's that bad. This is going to suffer big drops in the coming weeks. 
F

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AJG said:

I need to talk about the shit I just saw.

I just don't know what to say. The first 20 minutes play out like a puzzle where none of the pieces fit together, just random. The rest of movie is pretty much the characters walking about the city and shooting monsters, it was as engaging as somebody else play Call of Duty. The last half hour was SHOCKING. A guy just transformed into a monster out of nowhere and starts fighting with this other thing in a scene ripped straight out of God's of Egypt, horrible CGI and all. The final battle was clearly reshot, it takes place on one cheap set I wouldn't be surprised was borrowed from a TV show. The budget seemed to have disappeared too because that scene was COVERED in smog. You couldn't see shit. Shit looked like this in 144p:

The characters just seemed to be... there. The villain is horrible. She's just evil for the sake of being evil with an evil plan to destroy the world blah blah blah. You really don't care, she stands in the same spot doing a funny dance for most of the movie. Her dialogue seemed to be ripped out of something like Flash Gordon. Joker is the worst Joker I've seen outside of a comic book. He's just a thug with mental condition, that's pretty much it. The mystery is gone. He's covered in tat's that are full of personality, has a fashion sense that shows he actually cares about his fashion, drives a custom-made purple lambo which I wouldn't be surprised to find out he paid for instead of stole. Leto wasn't the problem, the Joker 'wannabe' characterization was. Diablo was cool as hell but they didn't spend enough time with him, and by time they do it feels like the movie is doing one of those TV talent show sob stories, and by the end of the movie he feels wasted because his character showed so much potential. I'd seriously watch a movie about him. Harley is just the annoying girl at Uni that everyone eventually has to tell is annoying when she finally goes too far: she's fun at the occasional party on a night out, but you don't want to deal with her shit during the day (the kind of girl that's gonna dress up like Harley Quinn on halloween). Deadshot was the best but the movie kept hammering on and on about his daughter, we fucking get it. I've pretty much forgotten who else was there. 

The film gets more and more jumbled, there's a part where the characters get angry at Rick Flag and I still don't know why. Their job was to stop some evil shit and they were ok with it, I don't know why they just decided to be upset. They got some info about how the villain got loose and started getting angry and i'm sitting there like "WHY DO YOU EVEN CARE?!?!" The music seemed to have been stolen from a 13 year old's Spotify playlist and is poorly implemented into scenes that I imagine were much darker and tense originally (the Kehlani song during Harley's 'birth', the Action Bronson song during Deadshot's flashback, the Eminem song comes out of fucking nowhere).

This is an appalling movie. It's just horribly put together. However I would love to have seen Ayer's original vision. There's so much stuff here that's on the cusp of working and the tampering is incredibly obvious.

I did not enjoy this movie. Frankly you're better off watching Assault on Arkham, an animated movie that's 10x more grounded than this tried to be and 10x less forced than this thing felt.

I give it :sadben::sadben::sadben::sadben:/ 10.

It also ranks on my list of the worst movies I've paid to see in cinemas

1) Transformers 2

2) POTC 3

3) Sucker Punch

4) Fant4stic

5) XO: Wolverine

6) Johnny English 2

7) Warcraft

8) 50 Shades of Grey

9) Suicide Squad

10) SharkBoy and Lava Girl.

Lol. 50 Shades of Grey is too low on the list :lol:

• Like 1

I drove 30 minutes to see this movie. Here's a reason it sucks for every minute of the drive.

1. There is not one interesting or empathetic character in this. Yes, they're bad guys, but they aren't even fun to watch.
  2. It borrows shamelessly from every other superhero and/or action movie in the past five years.
  3. Jared Leto's Joker is repulsive in all the wrong ways. He's basically a metaphor for the movie itself: Utterly meaningless, pointlessly edgy, and only there to drag time out of your life.
  4. Harley Quinn is ruined by the movie. Margot Robbie does what she can with the script, but it's almost ridiculously sexist and pathetic in handling her. She gets tormented THREE TIMES (and sexually assaulted once) before the 20 minute mark. Are you fucking kidding me?!
  5. Katana's also basically a walking, talking stereotype who gets no development.
  6. The color palette was shockingly bland for most of the movie - a few title cards at the beginning were cool, but nothing else.
  7. And when it isn't bland and unsaturated, it's unbearably obnoxious. There's no such thing as middle ground for this movie.
  8. Half of these characters have sad family/SO plots. Laziest emotional ploy in the book.
  9. Deadshot's daughter makes no real impact in the movie. The flashback to her in the climax is thematically pointless.
  10. The comedy is horrendous - Deadpool had more maturity than this. It's blatantly childish, lazy, and plenty sexist. If they did reshoots for comedy, god help whoever had the first cut.
  11. The soundtrack is at times utterly ridiculous in its awfulness.
  12. What the fuck is with Diablo's transformation at the ending? It accomplishes nothing.
  13. By the way, this movie seems to ADORE Deus Ex Machinas, down to June somehow being saved at the end.
  14. By the way, the CGI is AWFUL. Considering this had a $175m budget, there is literally no excuse.
  15. Bland villian, complete with a Disney Death. She gets NO development beyond what anyone would reasonably infer.
  16. Oh, and the Enchantress's Brother is another lousy CGI creation.
  17. Viola Davis gets nothing fun to do here, and she's another stereotype. Notice a pattern with the female characters in this drek?
  18. Jai Courntney - if you've seen the trailer, you've seen everything fun he gets to do in the movie.
  19. There is NO compelling chemistry between the team. With their paper thin backgrounds there's nothing there.
  20. This COULD have worked better with an R rating, if only for the movie to have any edge that isn't phony and blatantly commericalized.
  21. Will Smith is the heart of the movie, but they try to squeeze in everything else. Making him a more leader-esque character could have gone really far.
  22. The action sequences aren't even interesting. They're shot in the most vanilla fashion without anything unique - a terrible crime for a movie like this. This should not be BORING.
  23. David Ayer simply was a bad choice to direct this. Choose someone with a sharper sense of comedy or style - Ayer can work with smaller scales, like End of Watch, but he was just the wrong choice here.
  24. The inclusion of elements from the rest of the DCU are incredibly forced and serve no purpose to the plot.
  25. If I had a penny for every character or scene that added nothing but runtime...
  26. Rick Flag is incredibly boring as a character and as a performance. He leaves no impression.
  27. If the actual city conquest is gonna take the entire movie, either stay with it and give more with and development during the fight (making it 90 minutes) or save it to the very end. The story progress here is baffling.
  28. The overall feel is completely pandersome and edgy for edgy sake - without any actual bite.
  29. Hell, EVERYTHING about this feels like a cynical cash in on comedic action and desperation to correct from BvS.
  30. I hate that everyone else hates this movie too - I feel late to the bandwagon.

I'll let Roger Ebert explain:

D- (The cool character introduction graphics save this from an F)

• Like 13

While I wasn't nearly as disappointed with this film as I was with Batman v Superman, I can't help but feel kind of saddened. The trailers honestly gave me hope for the state of this cinematic universe DC is trying to build but it just did not deliver. There are some fun sequences in the film but this was just a huge letdown. Another generic comic-book movie with a stupid fucking beam of light shooting into the sky (Just like The Avengers, The Amazing Spider-Man, TMNT, TMNT 2, Fant4stic, X-men: Apocalypse) Honestly, why did they go that route?! I expected much more from a film like this. It honestly doesn't matter though. It seems the audience I was with ate it up like it was the next Guardians of the Galaxy or whatever. Idk. It seems I'm not alone in my distain though based on the responses from you guys. I just feel kinda hung-dry right now. 

C+ (Help us Ms. Gadot. You're our only hope)

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

I drove 30 minutes to see this movie. Here's a reason it sucks for every minute of the drive.

1. There is not one interesting or empathetic character in this. Yes, they're bad guys, but they aren't even fun to watch.
  2. It borrows shamelessly from every other superhero and/or action movie in the past five years.
  3. Jared Leto's Joker is repulsive in all the wrong ways. He's basically a metaphor for the movie itself: Utterly meaningless, pointlessly edgy, and only there to drag time out of your life.
  4. Harley Quinn is ruined by the movie. Margot Robbie does what she can with the script, but it's almost ridiculously sexist and pathetic in handling her. She gets tormented THREE TIMES (and sexually assaulted once) before the 20 minute mark. Are you fucking kidding me?!
  5. Katana's also basically a walking, talking stereotype who gets no development.
  6. The color palette was shockingly bland for most of the movie - a few title cards at the beginning were cool, but nothing else.
  7. And when it isn't bland and unsaturated, it's unbearably obnoxious. There's no such thing as middle ground for this movie.
  8. Half of these characters have sad family/SO plots. Laziest emotional ploy in the book.
  9. Deadshot's daughter makes no real impact in the movie. The flashback to her in the climax is thematically pointless.
  10. The comedy is horrendous - Deadpool had more maturity than this. It's blatantly childish, lazy, and plenty sexist. If they did reshoots for comedy, god help whoever had the first cut.
  11. The soundtrack is at times utterly ridiculous in its awfulness.
  12. What the fuck is with Diablo's transformation at the ending? It accomplishes nothing.
  13. By the way, this movie seems to ADORE Deus Ex Machinas, down to June somehow being saved at the end.
  14. By the way, the CGI is AWFUL. Considering this had a $175m budget, there is literally no excuse.
  15. Bland villian, complete with a Disney Death. She gets NO development beyond what anyone would reasonably infer.
  16. Oh, and the Enchantress's Brother is another lousy CGI creation.
  17. Viola Davis gets nothing fun to do here, and she's another stereotype. Notice a pattern with the female characters in this drek?
  18. Jai Courntney - if you've seen the trailer, you've seen everything fun he gets to do in the movie.
  19. There is NO compelling chemistry between the team. With their paper thin backgrounds there's nothing there.
  20. This COULD have worked better with an R rating, if only for the movie to have any edge that isn't phony and blatantly commericalized.
  21. Will Smith is the heart of the movie, but they try to squeeze in everything else. Making him a more leader-esque character could have gone really far.
  22. The action sequences aren't even interesting. They're shot in the most vanilla fashion without anything unique - a terrible crime for a movie like this. This should not be BORING.
  23. David Ayer simply was a bad choice to direct this. Choose someone with a sharper sense of comedy or style - Ayer can work with smaller scales, like End of Watch, but he was just the wrong choice here.
  24. The inclusion of elements from the rest of the DCU are incredibly forced and serve no purpose to the plot.
  25. If I had a penny for every character or scene that added nothing but runtime...
  26. Rick Flag is incredibly boring as a character and as a performance. He leaves no impression.
  27. If the actual city conquest is gonna take the entire movie, either stay with it and give more with and development during the fight (making it 90 minutes) or save it to the very end. The story progress here is baffling.
  28. The overall feel is completely pandersome and edgy for edgy sake - without any actual bite.
  29. Hell, EVERYTHING about this feels like a cynical cash in on comedic action and desperation to correct from BvS.
  30. I hate that everyone else hates this movie too - I feel late to the bandwagon.

I'll let Roger Ebert explain:

D- (The cool character introduction graphics save this from an F)

The only 3 things that saved it from being an F for me were Harley Quinn (I wasn't paying attention to her costume), Will Smith trying to insert some charisma by being Will Smith and the movie wasn't painful to finish (it was damn close though).

There's a line Will Smith says when he enters Amanda Wallers bunker or whatever - "What are ya'll hiding in here, the cure for cancer?"

I swear right before that I kept thinking "This movie is giving me cancer". He read my mind!

Anyway join the club. This one seems far less divisive here then Batman V Superman.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

Joker in Suicide Squad is like Wolverine in Xmen Apocalypse.  Totally unnecessary and doesn't advance the story in any way.  Could have totally cut out the one flashback where they dive into the chemical pool and the failed rescue scenes since they didnt really serve any purpose with the overall story. 

• Like 2

Big Willie's still got more charisma in his pinkie than all the pretenders studios are cycling through these days

That's... about all I got

Leto getting nothing to do is for the best but man how you gonna waste Viola Davis and the one engaging character Jai Courtney's ever played?

I did enjoy the clusterfuckiness of it all

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Big Willie's still got more charisma in his pinkie than all the pretenders studios are cycling through these days

That's... about all I got

Leto getting nothing to do is for the best but man how you gonna waste Viola Davis and the one engaging character Jai Courtney's ever played?

I did enjoy the clusterfuckiness of it all

So His Royal Jainess delivered?