Grade It  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Suicide Squad is a mess. A very public mess. Stories have been told about its troubled post-production, but honestly, it feels like this film was doomed from the start. Outside Robbie and Smith, every actor in it is forgettable. Robbie nails the essence of Harley Quinn, but the writing lets her down, especially in the second half of the film. She’s not totally Harley though and that’s more disappointing than anything. Will Smith does his Will Smith thing, but it’s for the first time in about a decade so it’s oddly okay.

Leto’s Joker is an insult. Claiming the movie isn’t supposed to be about him is moronic. He’s second-billed and required to be in much more to adequately partake in Harley’s storyline. It’s a very mediocre take on the Joker, with it feeling more like a collection of quirks than a criminal mastermind. The idea of this Joker being Affleck’s Batman’s arch-nemesis is laughable, no pun intended. That said, it’s still more intriguing than the main villain, Enchantress. She has absolutely no presence, nothing original about her, and whenever the movie shifts to her and her brother, one wishes it was just time for another useless cameo or lazy connection to a larger cinematic universe.

Here’s one question though: Why hire Academy-Award-winning composer Steven Price if you’re just gonna score a third of the movie to the most generic soundtrack picks ever? Only a single choice feels like it makes sense, and that comes in the last two minutes of the film. Everything else is either too obvious or too try-hard. Ayer’s direction just feels lifeless. A lot of this comes with his action, which has felt at least somewhat visceral in the past but in this movie, just makes one tired. He also utilizes this awful, cheesy text descriptions every time a new character shows up in the first half hour and it's cringe-worthy how try-hard it is. The tone is just bizarre, with the film actually feeling even darker in color palette than the previous DCEU films despite its obvious attempt to be lighter in tone. Please note the use of the word “attempt,” because this is just as morose and dull as the other films in this franchise.

If there’s one thing Suicide Squad has made me want to do, it’s rewatch Batman v Superman. That movie was pretty awful, but at least it had some ambition. Suicide Squad is just trying to be moderately enjoyable, but it can’t even achieve that. It feels focus-tested and without a voice, and if it weren’t for Margot Robbie and Will Smith, it would be completely forgettable, and that’s worse than being just awful. Even with them, Suicide Squad is boring, overstuffed, and completely devoid of sincere entertainment. The worst blockbuster of the year so far. D-

• Like 10

Damn, the scathing reviews of our members in here are both savage and funny. 

I guess I'm in the middle pack. I don't like it, but I don't loathe it either. I thought it was a whole lot of wasted potential and questionable choices in both editing and characters presentation/relationships.

My biggest gripes are the bombarding of music (many songs I feel was out of place and frankly, annoying) and the contrivance of the plots that lead to very weak motivations as well as the "all tell, no show" deep bonds that we're supposed to believe these squad members have.

The brightest positives were Will Smith and Viola Davis. I thought Margot was decent, but the characterizations of Harley Quinn failed her IMO.

There were moments of fun and levity so it's enjoyable at times. Otherwise, it was mostly boring. 

The less said about Jared Leto the better. 

C-

• Like 3

On August 10, 2016 at 9:27 PM, Ethan Hunt said:

Tele is a DC fanboy confirmed

Ya'll only confirmed it now? I figured out that shit since he was deep in closet about it lol. 

He came out of the closet quite noisily too ala "MOS over 400M Dom" That of course backfired, and I guess he's been retreating back and try to be more subtle these days. 

:ph34r: 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sam said:

Ya'll only confirmed it now? I figured out that shit since he was deep in closet about it lol. 

He came out of the closet quite noisily too ala "MOS over 400M Dom" That of course backfired, and I guess he's been retreating back and try to be more subtle these days. 

:ph34r: 

:lol: I blame McWeeny for that one.

What a boring and stupid POS edited on Windows Movie Maker.(Those incessant flashbacks with unnecessary paraphrasing voiceovers and grating song montages hacked in with a chainsaw in spite of the sequences flow and redundancy...Kill this crap with fire!) I thought I was enduring a DTV sequel to Mortal Kombat III shot haphazardly in Slovenia on rejected sets from an Expendables flick even though the budget is supposed to be the double of Sly's. Mystery Men is a Kubrick movie in comparison.(MM's antagonist was less ridiculous than eVil crack-addicted Shakira from Coac-Hell-a)

F.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 4

On 2016-08-10 at 5:40 AM, filmlover said:

Three days later and this whole movie has basically become a blur of noise to me. Nothing memorable about it in the slightest.

I wholeheartedly agree. Every time I try to remember a scene, I only remember the version of it I saw in the trailer, not how it played out in the movie.

Except for the part where Hernandez turns into a burning Kotal Kahn from Mortal Kombat X for that scene gets stupider every time.

Edited by cookie

2 hours ago, cookie said:

I wholeheartedly agree. Every time I try to remember a scene, I only remember the version of it I saw in the trailer, not how it played out in the movie.

Except for the part where Hernandez turns into a burning Kotal Kahn from Mortal Kombat X for that scene gets stupider every time.

The only thing that's really stuck is Cara whispering "Enchantress" and then turning into an evil witch. lol oh movie.

So, I finally got around to seeing this, and it was actually good.

It kept me engaged throughout, and there were several compelling characters, with Will Smith's Deadshot, Jay Hernandez's Diablo, and Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn. The film pleasantly surprised me in that it was more character driven than I expected. Overall, the squad's dynamic worked for me. Even the head military dude wasn't just a character barking orders; he was invested in the operation. Viola Davis makes for a great badass. The soundtrack was excellent. The ending overall feels satisfying.

To be a great film, it should have gone darker. Perhaps if they had allowed it to enter rated R territory and went with some good dark humour, it could have really worked. This would have helped make Harley Quinn a really twisted, funny, sad character. I think Deadshot most shines in the film.

It also could have been great if the disjointed first half of the film more precisely defined our characters. Overall the film struggled with how to balance the squad. I did like that some of the characters were wrestling with their sense of self as criminals and "bad guys". The bar scene is a high point because of this, as they essentially reflect on on how society views them and they disagree about how they should view themselves. "We're bad guys, it's what we do" Harley Quinn says earlier. Her character slides in and out, seemingly crazy but at times lucid and with it, and we get the sense that she has been corrupted.  Deadshot had an abusive father and is now immersed in a criminal world and yet still struggles to be a good father himself. Diablo's story feels all too real; toxic masculinity at play, as a gang leader and a man prone to anger.

It works the best with Diablo because his character isn't a ruthless villain, but as the film initially sets up the Suicide Squad as a group of villains who are the worst of the worst, the most dangerous criminals, bad to the bone, it makes for an overall disjointed venture. Not knowing much about their comic book origins, I think the film should have played them up as a group of incredibly skilled criminals (as in the case of Deadshot) and criminals with incredible powers (as in the case of Diablo), and then allow the film to unravel the complexities of some of those characters in a way that would have been clearer.

And lastly, to be a great film, they should have definitely hired someone else to be The Joker (you know, a skilled actor). I don't have a problem with the aesthetic given to the Joker in this film; I actually think the look worked. I just think Jared Leto did a poor job - it feels like he is trying too hard. But I admit I am biased, because I really dislike Jared Leto.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ

So..... the "Extended edition" is out at the torrent trackers.  It's as shitty as the original. Believe when i say, that the less we see of this Joker the better. 

No, seriously , this movie brings back the memory of J. Schumacher's Batmans, but with a bit of grey and a couple of cuss words.

• Like 1