CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

3 minutes ago, Baumer said:

And I think you put too much stock in it. I'm aware of how social media works.

I'm not putting too much stock into it. Clearly you don't know how it works, no offense, if you don't think social media can contribute to a films WOM throughout its OW. Whether it's good or bad. There have been films that increased dramatically during the weekend because of its WOM. Deadpool is a great example of this. Where it got great WOM and that propelled it to a $132M weekend despite nothing indicating that. 

And just to show you how big this was on social media, when the reviews started to come out for this film, it was trending on Twitter for a whole day. Why you think social media isn't powerful is beyond me. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

Why the fuck is the drop a discussion of bad WOM? The movie was heavily front loaded. Bad WOM doesn't travel within 24 hours fellas.

Get over it. WB has yet another successful movie regardless if it sucks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TimmyRiggins said:

A- Cinemascore with the KEY audience, I said key. But whatever.

What the hell is KEY audience? How do you know what the KEY audience for this film is? Regardless, in order for a film to perform well at the box office and have good legs, it needs to be liked by people outside of its KEY audience. 

1 minute ago, #ED said:

Why the fuck is the drop a discussion of bad WOM? The movie was heavily front loaded. Bad WOM doesn't travel within 24 hours fellas.

But good WOM does? Okay. 

Just now, AJG said:

Whats everyone prediction for the second weekend drop?

It made $20 million on Thursday and add a few millions in free Verizon tickets so the drop will be steep. Probably 65-70% drop.

SS was a horrible piece of shit with standalone good performances. Better than BvS though...

Yet, I realize that 6 months ago this wasn't tracking above 100M+.

10 minutes ago, Baumer said:

This is such bullshit. I don't make things up just because I like or dislike a film. I'm pretty objective when it comes to the box office.

Let me ask you this. The Civil War was a critical darling and it had a good flixster score. That film ended with less than the 2.4 multiplier. Would you say that had terrible word of mouth and that caused it to crash as well?

We've already mentioned CW is not a good comparison to SS, as CW required the audience to see at least 4-5 other MCU films in order to understand it, you don't even have to see BvS to understand SS.

CW didn't have a good multiplier, and that's likely because of the CU-nature of it finally having its drawbacks.  Drawbacks that do not apply to SS.

8 minutes ago, AJG said:

Whats everyone prediction for the second weekend drop?

Assuming 130 OW, something like,

65+37+28+12+13+9+8+12+17+13 

42(-67.7%), 214 cume on track for 260-270

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

I didn't like Suicide Squad but this is a great opening weekend for it. 

My prediction was $70m last year. And it was $125m on Thursday so I might not be too far off. 

It'll probably do $500-600m worldwide. Not far off MOS. Triple its final production budget. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, #ED said:

People are just stunned by historic Friday to Saturday drop for SS. It's in the same ballpark as DH2 and YA franchises. Hell BvS had a much better drop with Supposed bad WOM.

Only thing I have to add is for the opening weekend, it's 100% about the marketing. For that, the team behind Suicide Squad did their job above-and-beyond (Somebody is getting a bump in salary come Monday morning in Burbank, rest assured!)

Most definitely a film can be divisive if not outright hated and still command a great opening weekend. See 2003's Hulk or the DCEU's own Man of Steel. Based on the 3-day of the latter, everyone was all, "WHAT DO CRITICS CAAAARE ANYWAY?" and a 2015 sequel was immediately (read: officially) announced. Until its second weekend plummet. Then said narrative (and online shit-talking) evaporated and we are where we're at right now.

• Like 4

My two cents, something I've felt for a while, is that DC's films have very limited appeal to women. That's why the frontloading is so intense. I think it's just fanboys showing up. The negative reception is further fueling the drop-off of course. But toxic word of mouth isn't the only issue here.

From what I see around me, in general, these films dont draw in women like Marvel. Maybe there's some audience data to back this up? Because it's merely what I suspect, not fact-based.

Wonder Womam could be the key film to change things around in WB's favor, in that it could be both good and have bigger appeal among women, but it's looking kind of bleak.

• Like 1