CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

Just now, DAR said:

We can't say for certain that no effort was put into the story and characters.   

The quality of the film clearly showed the effort put into the story and character was not enough. 

• Like 1

Also don't confuse effort with execution.  I liked BvS but the Martha scene was poorly done.  But I would never say there wasn't effort amongst those involved in the scene 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

They dont put effort in to characters and storytelling and go for visuals for marketing and try to get a big opening.

The problem is audiences wont came back the second time. All Sequels decrease but instead of slight decreases it will be a lot more likely. 

Explain this 

That is so cringe worthy :lol:. And I liked the movie.

This and Lois Lane fetching the spear are two things that bothered me the most. (Followed by Lex Zuckerberg and the "Flash-back")

Still have it at 6.5/10 - C+. Somewhere there's a very good movie lost in the cuts <_<

14 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

They dont put effort in to characters and storytelling and go for visuals for marketing and try to get a big opening.

The problem is audiences wont came back the second time. All Sequels decrease but instead of slight decreases it will be a lot more likely. 

Explain this 

It is pretty obvious what they intended to do with this scene. It is also pretty obvious they fucked up to the highest degree :lol: 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

How can anyone say SS is a flop from a financial point of view? 

It just that its odd they would make such bad films trying to make audiences interested in the DC Universe.

Like Batman vs Superman its a financial hit but a critical and audience failure. 

Also the film will finish closer to 250 million then 300 million. How can a film that performed with such bad legs over the weekend end up with great legs over the rest of its run. It makes no sense. 

Is going to make tons of money, the budget is low (compared to other big SH fims).

The floor for SS should be 600m WW, plus the tons of merchandise WB is selling.

So no, well yeah, is a critical and audience flop but in the bank is going to make a lot of cash for WB.

16 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Explain this 

Good lord this scene gets even more cringeworthy with each watch. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Nova said:

Did you see it's OD in those countries? Because yea just like in the US it opened big and then dropped its second day in France, South Korea, Russia and Brazil by a big margin as well. No one was talking about the over all weekends. We were talking about its second day drops....which were also confirmed by RTH. It seems you just pick and choose the info from people's posts and then make them statements of facts. 

Didn't two of those markets open on Wednesday, and the following days would be Thursday and Friday which were accompanied by other local releases and thus heavy competition?  Another one of those countries opened the Olympics on the second day. Would you say the implications were exceedingly negative without explaining extra context? Would you say the final results seem pretty positive, especially in comparison to similar movies?

6 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

The quality of the film clearly showed the effort put into the story and character was not enough. 

SS will be released here at 18 August, so I have no own opinion for the moment, but i do judge a movie like this usually as the directors cut to see if an effort was taken or not. Busienness reason, running time.... often decided by people not directly involved into the creation of especially big budget movies, too often that has changed the complete movie.

Likr taking out character moments to showcase all effect / explosions / ... if a movie has to be shorter instead of cutting it in a balanced way. Sometimes deleting even a character complete and as such showing not the reasoning of another character, who now seems to behave.... wrong.

Last I 'heard' SS got cut at least 20 minutes, I think someone said especially character moments, nut sure if that is true. 20min can mean 'the world' in such a situation.

Just now, Belakor said:

Is going to make tons of money, the budget is low (compared to other big SH fims).

The floor for SS should be 600m WW, plus the tons of merchandise WB is selling.

So no, well yeah, is a critical and audience flop but in the bank is going to make a lot of cash for WB.

There are two goals, one is for each film and the other is for the DC universe.

If the goal is for these movies to garner great  good will from everyone to firmly establish the DC universe they done a lousy job. 

If the goal is individually to become decent hits then the films have done that. 

2 hours ago, Jay Beezy said:

I get that stuff like that would inflate followers to a substantial degree. It's just 32M seems excessive even under those circumstances. Perhaps it's worrisome of the obsession of some fans that there would be so many spam and fan accounts.

Well she was a high fashion model at some point. They tend to have a lot of followers. Clothes, shoes, makeup, hair is big business.

39 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

How can anyone say SS is a flop from a financial point of view? 

It just that its odd they would make such bad films trying to make audiences interested in the DC Universe.

Like Batman vs Superman its a financial hit but a critical and audience failure. 

Also the film will finish closer to 250 million then 300 million. How can a film that performed with such bad legs over the weekend end up with great legs over the rest of its run. It makes no sense. 

BvS was not a financial hit and neither will this be . When a studio spends a fortune in production costs and an even bigger one in marketing in movies that have the two most iconic superheroes or are trying to capture the GA by looking cool (and spending who knows how much in marketing) in the case of SS these bo results are not what the studio expects . If that was the case you wouldn't see so many shake ups , when it comes to the DCCU . The same thing was said about , how it was a financial success , MOS and yet we will , probably, never get a proper sequel for it . 

Some of you close your eyes on what each movie represents . Both BvS and SS aren't profitable , from their bo run, and I doubt Warner financed these projects to earn a bit of money from home video sales .

Edited by Thrylos 7

2 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

BvS was not a financial hit and neither will this be . When a studio spends a fortune in production costs and an even bigger one in marketing in movies that have the two most iconic superheroes or are trying to capture the GA by looking cool (and spending who knows how much in marketing) in the case of SS these bo results are not what the studio expects . If that was the case you wouldn't see so many shake ups , when it comes to the DCCU . The same thing was said about , how it was a financial success , MOS and yet we will , probably, never get a proper sequel for it . 

Some of you close their eyes on what each movie represents . Both BvS and SS aren't profitable , from their bo run, and I doubt Warner financed these projects to earn a bit of money from home video sales .

Lol

• Like 5

Just now, John Marston said:

Lol

Suicide Squad and BvS are not profitable. In other news, Hollywood is shutting down today because none of the movies they do make money.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Some of you close their eyes on what each movie represents . Both BvS and SS aren't profitable , from their bo run, and I doubt Warner financed these projects to earn a bit of money from home video sales .

Okay I didn't like BvS and I hated Suicide Squad but to call either of them failures financially is laughable and as a result this conversation should end right now. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Suicide Squad and BvS are not profitable. In other news, Hollywood is shutting down today because none of the movies they do make money.

The  problem is each DC film costs about 500m I think. They should follow the Marvel route where all of their films barely cost 100m I think thanks to supposed tax credits 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Haven't you been saying this since 2013? If audiences wont come back, then I'm pretty sure you won't have anything to worry about in the future. Unfortunately, these movies keep breaking records instead. At least that won't be happening in 2017, unless it does. The studio probably made a big mistake getting the academy award writer and the writer of Training Day for their 2016 efforts. I was hoping they'd hire the entity created by the DBZ fusion dance between the child of Alan Moore w/ J.K. Rowling merged w/ George R.R. Martin and possessed by the ghost of William Shakespeare. I heard he was too busy writing is dramedy biopic George Lucas in Love Again.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MrPink said:

On Yahoo, there's a weekend BO report and the subcaption mentions 'Jennifer Garner's latest a dud'

I'm not the best at spotting sexism, but something seems wrong to place the blame of Nine Lives on her.

I just realized both her and Affleck each had a movie they appeared in released the same weekend twice this year