CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

Just now, Nova said:

Yes. But youre acting like this film isn't a continuation of the DCEU when in fact it is. Its not SLOP or THG. If you watch Suicide Squad there are ties to BvS and then some stuff happens at the end that is relevant for JL. 

There are ties to Xmen with Deadpool and it's in the same expanded universe, but they certainly weren't prominent in the marketing and as such I would never use the X-men franchise to justify Deadpool's success. It's the exact same scenario here. The ties to DCEU were incredibly slight in the marketing. I mean for one thing it's only a 2 film franchise so far, a huge chunk of the GA has no idea it even exists yet. Especially when you put zero of the characters in MoS and BvS in the film. Again, we're not talking about MCU and TA, where all the lead characters had their blockbuster film setting up TA prior to its release. Just like Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy before it, SS did most of this on its own merit. Not because of its loose franchise ties. 

9 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

9L only 10 reviews on a wide release and its Friday afternoon. 10% so far. It has a chance to beat Norm otN

Do they even give Razzies to films that simply don't register?

5 minutes ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

One has several Academy Awards and one doesn't?

Hide contents

:ph34r: for my last couple of posts, in case it wasn't clear.

I see your name change and I wonder if you are repeatedly losing bets...

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Bourne should have been released on August 12 and Star Trek on October 7 

Stupid Paramount and Universal killed their respective franchises.

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Bourne should have been released on August 12 and Star Trek on October 7 

It might have done worse in October tbh given the slew of product that's also opening for older audiences (Magnificent Seven, Deepwater Horizon, The Girl on the Train) around that time.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

It might have done worse in October tbh given the slew of product that's also opening for older audiences (Magnificent Seven, Deepwater Horizon, The Girl on the Train) around that time.

I feel like The Girl on the Train will not be that big plus it would probably move a week forward if Beyond was there. 

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Magnificent SEven and Deepwater Horizon open before October. Not to mention the latter will likely underperform/flop. Beyond should have claimed the Gravity/Martian date

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

I feel like The Girl on the Train will not be that big plus it would probably move a week forward if Beyond was there. 

It should make around $80-100M. Around half of Gone Girl, which is hardly surprising.

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Beyond was never doing well regardless of release date. Again, it's just way too much an episode of the TV show to work as a film. 

except thanks to the Suicide Squad third weekend it will have two extremely bad drops instead of one. 

Beyond would have never opened to 60m in October. Gravity and Martian opened so high in October because of all the buzz, but that's far from a normal occurrence for an October OW. Also Girl on the Train, Jack Reacher, Inferno, The Accountant. The month is definitely stacked with adult skewing films, and at least two of those will do well. 

Edited by MovieMan89