Blankments

Hell or High Water | David MacKenzie | August 12, 2016

The movie looks great, not sure what the problem is. I think this film does a better job of really establishing West Texas than most movies do.

The last 40-45 minutes is pure non stop tension, and it does it in the slowburn way that I like.

• Like 8

This was dope as hell. I really didn't care to see it, I hadn't even heard of it, but I let @Jayhawk and @MrPink drag me to it, but I'm so glad I did.

As Pink said, the last 40 or so minutes was just pure tension. And they were able to do it without bombastic effects, and ultraloud score, and ADHD-esque editing. Everything was smooth, subtle, intimate, and natural. It felt real. Acting was great, and the story was very clever. They're not typical bank robbers.

My favorite part of the movie was the cinematography. I LOVED how it was literally landscape shot, then character shot, the landscape again, then characters again, then more landscapes. So many landscapes. I also loved the wide open shots, and how they let the time of day really melt into what was going on. You really feel like you're there along for the ride. 

Great movie that deserves recognition, and maybe even IMAX, cause, ya know, landscapes.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, MrPink said:

The movie looks great, not sure what the problem is. I think this film does a better job of really establishing West Texas than most movies do.

I was reading an interview with the director where he talked about how he spent a couple of years in West Texas a few years ago and he really liked the people and the environment and felt an odd connection to them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

I was reading an interview with the director where he talked about how he spent a couple of years in West Texas a few years ago and he really liked the people and the environment and felt an odd connection to them.

Makes sense.

If I recall, the director is British? Interesting that he could pull off a film that really captures Rural Texas. He made this movie called Perfect Sense 5 years ago which had its issues but I rather enjoyed, perhaps more for the concept but he did a great job with this one. 

Spoiler

I will say, as soon as they robbed the bank in Post and walked out the door and 5 concealed carry folks shot at them, I laughed. DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS

• Like 6

1 hour ago, MrPink said:

@Chewy

I think he'll appreciate the fact that Jeff Bridges is still in Rooster Cogburn mode, 6 years running, though he uses it to great effect here

It's a cry for help at this point, he just wants help

Someone help him

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

It sucks that Ben Foster's other 2016 efforts were so bad, because this movie proves that he can really, really act. He's easily the highlight of the movie, and hopefully this movie gives him better scripts.

I think most people (at least the ones who know his name) know he can act. He's usually very good in almost everything he does.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

I think most people (at least the ones who know his name) know he can act. He's usually very good in almost everything he does.

Well I didn't know who he was until this year, so I had no idea he was this talented. :P

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrPink said:

@Chewy

I think he'll appreciate the fact that Jeff Bridges is still in Rooster Cogburn mode, 6 years running, though he uses it to great effect here

This is the first movie since True Grit that actually gives him good enough material to go along with that persona. 

1 hour ago, CoolEric258 said:

It sucks that Ben Foster's other 2016 efforts were so bad, because this movie proves that he can really, really act. He's easily the highlight of the movie, and hopefully this movie gives him better scripts.

I remember going to see 3:10 to Yuma 9 years ago and being amazed at this dude I never seen before stealing all attention away from Bale and Crowe. It's the world's loss he never became a proper movie star, but at least he occasionally gets great roles like this one. "Lord of the plains..."

• Like 6

6 hours ago, MrPink said:

@Chewy

Again? He is still in that mode? Wtf happened with Jeff Bridges? And why does he keep playing Rooster Cogburn in every movie?

• Like 1