grim22

Star Trek Beyond and Ghostbusters box office: What Went Wrong

Star Trek Beyond has a really awful release date and absolutely terrible marketing.  The first trailer sold it as a way too goofy Fast and Furious in space with the motorcycle and editing.  The reality was that he actually made a damn good movie that the goofy part was there, but it mostly worked.  The subsequent trailers were good, but they sat on them wayyyyy too long.  

The second part is the release date.  It should have released in the middle of May where it would have had 2 weeks clear of Civil War and 2 weeks clear of X-Men.  Putting it in late July where it was sandwiched around too much similar stuff was not good.  

Ghostbusters was a total mess all the way around when it came to marketing.  Sony made a mis-calculated decision to play into a small minority of trolls and up the controversy.  Well, the audience they were looking for goes to movies to be entertained, not for controversy.  I think all of the negativity around it turned people off.  It also didn't help that the marketing made it look like a mess and a paint by numbers studio cash grab.  

• Like 21

I have been predicting this for months yet nobody gave a shit lol. People laughed at me. Who is laughing now?

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

OMG, that is actually true. WTF???

Looked up Pixels from last year and it will actually gross more than Ghostbusters WW

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $78,747,585    32.2%
Foreign:  $166,127,224    67.8%

Worldwide:  $244,874,809  

DO you realize my club made back in May was UNDER PIXELS WW? Lol. 

NINTH: Ghostbusters under Pixels WW - CONFIRMED VICTORY!!!!

- The first trailer was beyond bad and while the 2nd was better, the bad buzz has already spread online.

- Because the world is a really dumb place, everyone decided to turn their backs on this because they have 4 woman as the leads.

- Chris Hemsworth has proven time and time again he is box office poison.

- These people are no draws OS. 

OW: 43M; DOM: 120M; OS: 120M; WW: 240M

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

ELEVENTH: Star Trek Beyond under Star Trek WW - CONFIRMED VICTORY!!!!

- The overall no fucks given feel about this one so far.

- The new trailer is better, but it still lacks the epicness of Into Darkness and the 2009 reboot.

- It feels cheaper than the previous movies.

- Is that Idris Elba? Lol.

- It opens right before Bourne and Suicide Squad.

OW: 50M; DOM: 140M; OS: 175M; WW: 315M

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I have been predicting this for months yet nobody gave a shit lol. People laughed at me. Who is laughing now?

DO you realize my club made back in May was UNDER PIXELS WW? Lol. 

that link doesn't work. I want to see the whole club

Beyond seems to have mostly failed at snagging the pre-established fanbase.  I'm in a bunch of Trek communities and that first trailer really put people off.  It didn't hurt that a lot of the same fans were only 'okay' with the previous installment. Not taking advantage of the 50th Anniversary was such a huge mistake too.  If I hadn't already known it, I wouldn't have figured it out from the marketing. The fans are super excited for the anniversary (The Las Vegas Con has been sold out for ages and the cheap tickets were already in the hundreds when it opened).  If they can get thousands of people to shell out $200-$1000 a pop for the con, it shouldn't have been an issue to get butts in the seats at $10-$15 a pop for movie tickets.

It doesn't help that a lot of the fanbase buzz for Trek seems to be way more focused on the new TV series either.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, filmlover said:

So much bitterness in this post.

You need better powers of perception. I couldn't be happier and more satisfied at the outcome of either of those two films.

Too bad you can't exchange your empathy for hundreds of millions at the box office.

In the meantime, I look onward at two fallen enemies and I smile with glee. 

2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

WWW should be for genuine flops not movies that did what was expected lol. Ghostbusters had unprecedented negative hype coming in. Studio will be fine with the return, not like it bombed.

What return? Ghostbusters so far has made zero profit.

It has a budget of 144 million + at least 100 million for marketing.  That means a production budget of 244 million. So far, it has made 116 million domestic and it has had smaller overseas grosses than the Fantastic Four reboot ( FF made 111 million, while Ghostbusters has made 62 million so far, and very few markets are left ).

If producers only keep 50-55% from domestic grosses and a smaller ammount overseas, that means they didn't even make back the money they spent with this movie. So, chances are they won't be seeing a profit soon.

Don't forget Sony gave up The Amazing Spider Man series, after TASM 2 went on to make 703 million worldwide. Sony even had revealed TASM 3, 4 and even a Venom movie. They all belong to a trash can now, though, just like a possible Ghostbusters sequel.

Sure, strange things have happened, like a GI Joe sequel called Retaliation. The first GI Joe had a huge 175 million budget ( plus marketing ) and it only made 300 million worldwide. I guess toys and dvds probably were sold a lot. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

What return? Ghostbusters so far has made zero profit.

It has a budget of 144 million + at least 100 million for marketing.  That means a production budget of 244 million. So far, it has made 116 million domestic and it has had smaller overseas grosses than the Fantastic Four reboot ( FF made 111 million, while Ghostbusters has made 62 million so far, and very few markets are left ).

If producers only keep 50-55% from domestic grosses and a smaller ammount overseas, that means they didn't even make back the money they spent with this movie. So, chances are they won't be seeing a profit soon.

Don't forget Sony gave up The Amazing Spider Man series, after TASM 2 went on to make 703 million worldwide. Sony even had revealed TASM 3, 4 and even a Venom movie. They all belong to a trash can now, though, just like a possible Ghostbusters sequel.

Sure, strange things have happened, like a GI Joe sequel called Retaliation. The first GI Joe had a huge 175 million budget ( plus marketing ) and it only made 300 million worldwide. I guess toys and dvds probably were sold a lot. 

Correct, I tried to clarify below. The studio is losing $ but it's not as big of a disaster as quite a few other films we've seen the summer that didn't have any WWW.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Correct, I tried to clarify below. The studio is losing $ but it's not as big of a disaster as quite a few other films we've seen the summer that didn't have any WWW.

Alice 2 WWW....

• Like 1