grim22

Star Trek Beyond and Ghostbusters box office: What Went Wrong

5 minutes ago, Kathemy said:

Maybe there is confusion to how we use the terms. For me a flop is a movie losing serious money at the box office. A "bomb" is something so catastrophical one can't see any potential of regaining the investment over a decade.

Ghostbusters and Star Trek are both flops by that definition. The box office of Ghostbusters apparently made the studio cancel plans of a live action sequel. I have yet to hear one word of NuTrek IV after the initial drop hit.

As for that last part, often you don't hear about future projects for long periods.  They gave interviews and commented on it when they were promoting the movie.  They haven't been doing press cycles since then. So I don't take not hearing about it as necessarily a statement it isn't happening, although I agree I'd like to hear it confirmed again.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, trifle said:

As for that last part, often you don't hear about future projects for long periods.  They gave interviews and commented on it when they were promoting the movie.  They haven't been doing press cycles since then. So I don't take not hearing about it as necessarily a statement it isn't happening, although I agree I'd like to hear it confirmed again.

I don't think they'll shelve Trek 4. They'll slash the budget and pray it does better. It's still a franchise with proven potential, not a starting point to create a franchise.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, trifle said:

The last thing I heard about NuTrek IV was how the involved people were talking about that they hoped they'd get a solid box office reception from Beyond so they could make it.

Ghostbusters: We just assumed because it was "Ghostbusters" that it would be relevant in 2016. Didn't seem to be the case. Same issue with Ben Hur. Even if it was the original crew, I see similar results. Concepts do get dated. That and this looked like a carbon copy of the original. Same uniforms, same ghosts, Stay Puft again? It looked like the same movie with updated effects and new characters. Not a compelling draw. 

Star Trek: Nothing was really wrong, they did most everything right, it just lost most of the casual audience needed to keep it leggy, which seems to be a problem across the board this year. The marketing could have been stronger, but the legs just didn't grow.

Edited by jandrew

16 minutes ago, Kathemy said:

The last thing I heard about NuTrek IV was how the involved people were talking about that they hoped they'd get a solid box office reception from Beyond so they could make it.

I didn't see that.  The discussion I saw said it was happening and Chris Hemsworth was going to play Jim's Dad.

25 minutes ago, trifle said:

I didn't see that.  The discussion I saw said it was happening and Chris Hemsworth was going to play Jim's Dad.

This is what Abrams said: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/21/star-trek-4-jj-abrams-comments-sequel

Speaking to EW at the premiere of Star Trek Beyond at San Diego Comic-Con on Wednesday night, Abrams said the story for the franchise’s fourth feature is his “favorite Star Trek story that we’ve had.”

“So one of the reasons that I’m hoping [Star Trek Beyond] does well is so that we can, without question, get that movie made,” Abrams added. “It really is an amazing story. It’s really the reason we made the deal with Chris Hemsworth as soon as we could because we really wanted that story to be told, so fingers crossed.”

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, jandrew said:

Ghostbusters: We just assumed because it was "Ghostbusters" that it would be relevant in 2016. Didn't seem to be the case. Same issue with Ben Hur. Even if it was the original crew, I see similar results. Concepts do get dated. That and this looked like a carbon copy of the original. Same uniforms, same ghosts, Stay Puft again? It looked like the same movie with updated effects and new characters. Not a compelling draw. 

Star Trek: Nothing was really wrong, they did most everything right, it just lost most of the casual audience needed to keep it leggy, which seems to be a problem across the board this year. The marketing could have been stronger, but the legs just didn't grow.

Another problem with Star Trek is that it opened a week before Jason Bourne and two weeks before Suicide Squad. On top of that it had to deal with soured goodwill from STID.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

That reads less like if a 4th movie will be made, and more like the story they want for the next film to be is dependent on the performance. So, the story might depend on a projected budget similar to the previous films.

I have a dream. It goes something like this. STB spoilers follow

Spoiler

@WrathOfHan: Captain, our movie is not equipped to engage these shitty OS grosses! If we continue to release the movie next to Suicide Squad and Jason Bourne, then the franchise will be lost!

@Sam: These bad grosses are swarming the movie like bees!

WrathOfHan: *Thinking* Captain, these bad OS grosses must communicate somehow. Perhaps if we can find some way to disorient them we can save this franchise.

@Sam: Perhaps if there's a country big enough to offset all the bad grosses we can still get a sequel with Chris Hemsworth!

@ThatOneMorgan: A country big enough to offset all the bad grosses? I've got just the one!

@Sam: We'll need to partner with the country's distributors to ensure it has the most screens and little to no competition!

@ThatOneMorgan: Alright, we're ready!

MrPink: Alright....let's make some noise.

*Cue China*

*MrPink smiles*

MrPink: It's a good choice...

*China comes in, grosses 200m, obliterates all the bad grosses away as we go on to a Star Trek 4 with Chris Hemsworth, napping Mjolnir, and Shoreh Agladashloo*

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Hide contents

@WrathOfHan: Captain, our movie is not equipped to engage these shitty OS grosses! If we continue to release the movie next to Suicide Squad and Jason Bourne, then the franchise will be lost!

WrathOfHan: *Thinking* Captain, these bad OS grosses must communicate somehow. Perhaps if we can find some way to disorient them we can save this franchise.

@Sam: Perhaps if there's a country big enough to offset all the bad grosses we can still get a sequel with Chris Hemsworth!

@ThatOneMorgan: A country big enough to offset all the bad grosses? I've got just the one!

@Sam: We'll need to partner with the country's distributors to ensure it has the most screens and little to no competition!

*Cue China*

*MrPink smiles*

*China comes in, grosses 200m, obliterates all the bad grosses away as we go on to a Star Trek 4 with Chris Hemsworth, napping Mjolnir, and Shoreh Agladashloo*

I hope this happens

9 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Hide contents

*Cue China*

*MrPink smiles*

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Hide contents

*Cue China*

*MrPink smiles*

Final battle with Jason Bourne happens.  We win.  Beyond gets a sequel and Bourne goes straight to DVD.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Hide contents

*Cue China*

*MrPink smiles*

I love you :wub: 

But why in this thread? :raining:  I think I already had way too much depression in one day to handle this thread :( 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sam said:

I love you :wub: 

But why in this thread? :raining:  I think I already had way too much depression in one day to handle this thread :( 

It was the only thread that made sense for the time being. I meant to make this post over the weekend but got lazy :sadben:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MrPink said:

It was the only thread that made sense for the time being. I meant to make this post over the weekend but got lazy :sadben:

It's ok. I got to be Captain so it's all good :P

Since these were brought up in the weekend thread - final numbers

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $128,350,574    56.0%
Foreign:  $100,796,935    44.0%

Worldwide:  $229,147,509  

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $158,848,340    46.2%
Foreign:  $184,623,476    53.8%

Worldwide:  $343,471,816  

Both earned more than 10M in just 2 OS territories not counting China. Domestic was "fine" but OS really hurt both franchises.

• Like 4