grim22

Star Trek Beyond and Ghostbusters box office: What Went Wrong

20 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

WWW should be for genuine flops not movies that did what was expected lol. Ghostbusters had unprecedented negative hype coming in. Studio will be fine with the return, not like it bombed.

I don't think they are going to be fine with losing a shitload of money.  

• Like 14

6 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Beyond is gonna sell less than half the tickets as 09' Ouch. 

Didn't even realize that. Looking back, it seems that the 4 years between ST09 and STID caused the momentum to dissipate. Even if Abrams wanted to make Super 8, Paramount should have probably pushed ahead with a different director. ST09 re-energized the franchise, the follow through was really important at that point.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

I don't think they are going to be fine with losing a shitload of money.  

Yeah bad word choice, what I meant to say is it's not unexpected given the hype leading in. Clearly the budget was too much but it's far from Sony's only or worst blunder in recent history.

• Like 1

-The marketing for Trek was not great. The legs seem to be hurt by competition.

Trek might be facing a problem with the new landscape.

Consider how X-Men and Jason Bourne are faring.

The Bourne Supremacy made 227M in 2007 and it is performing similarly to Trek. X-Men made 233.9 in 2014, though no Wolverine and audiences are not as interested in the younger cast. These movies arguably had a quality fall off that Trek did not. 

Nevertheless, the pattern is striking.

An investor discussed this earlier this year.

http://deadline.com/2016/03/hollywood-studios-too-many-big-budget-films-hurt-profits-1201714566/

"The main problem is that too many studios make too many big-budget franchise films. This year studios will release 30 pics that cost $100 million or more to produce, up from 22 last year.

The ones that succeed strike gold. But the increased competition lowers the odds for any one to break out. “Ultimately, we think many of these incremental blockbuster films are not going to work, and incur significant losses for their studios,” the analyst says.

The trend is likely to continue, because it’s in nobody’s interest to stop. Those who do would help their competitors but “have fewer chances of hitting one of the few home runs that arrives every year.”

I don't think we can deny that this is the nature of the landscape today. And Star Trek might be in a difficult place in it. Better marketing and another release date could have boosted grosses, but I think this might play a role in the legs.

It is harder for Star Trek's positive buzz to get heard when JB and SS come in the following weeks, but also when there are so many blockbuster sequels.

Edited by superweirdo87
  • Like 3

Ghostbuster failure is simple. Not a good movie, terrible trailers, unwanted in the first place, insulting the public by calling them sexist if they dont see it/like it. It deserved to burn.

Star Trek is more complicated. ST:ID wasnt loved, and that put off casuals. What put off the fans is that JJA didnt understand Star Trek and basically ignored far to much of the canon, which is incredibly rich and well understood by the fans. You just cant get away with it in Star Trek. Its a shame though because Beyond is actually pretty good.

• Like 4

If the hype was all positive coming in & the issues behind why they would fail weren't discussed plenty before for both these films (again Trek didn't really "fail"), I'd see the point. Alas that's not what happened... There was plenty of skepticism (& rightly so) for each since they were announced.

Edited by GiantCALBears

I was surprised that Paramount allowed the buzz to be so negative on Star Trek Beyond.  I got to see it about a month early and was expecting it to be shit based on what I had been hearing and was shocked when it was damn good.  

They should have been letting key people see this movie and spread the word back in March or April to build the buzz.  Inexcusable they let it get a couple weeks before release until word leaked out that it was good.  At that point it was too late.  

You could say the same thing with STX and Bad Moms even thought that worked.  I think if they let it be known they had a winner and get the word out, it would be an even bigger success.  

Edited by nilephelan
  • Like 15

People overseas see Star Trek as a cheap and nichier Star Wars rip-off, STB looking like an extended tv episode was the nail in the coffin. 

Ghostbusters needed to decide what it wanted to be. It should have been just a comedy, which would require less special effects and action scenes, making the budget lower. Or it should have been a straight action film with comedic elements. On both hypotheses, the movie would stand better chances of being embraced by GA.

5 minutes ago, Goffe said:

People overseas see Star Trek as a cheap and nichier Star Wars rip-off, STB looking like an extended tv episode was the nail in the coffin. 

It may be less expensive and less well known over seas, but do they actually not know it came first?

1 minute ago, Goffe said:

you are giving GA waaaaaaay too much credit

Maybe there should be an international 'background' trailer updating the series from day one, briefly.  Dunno.  But it isn't really that niche as presented in the current movies, and they should find a way to get that across.

With all the hate Ghostbusters was getting (from people who hadn't seen the film in cinemas), it's doing well. 

This could easily have performed like Fantastic Four in the US. 

I'm so glad it went over $100m, despite everything it was up against. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, trifle said:

Maybe there should be an international 'background' trailer updating the series from day one, briefly.  Dunno.  But it isn't really that niche as presented in the current movies, and they should find a way to get that across.

Think you could find plenty of people in the US today who may not know that Star Trek came before Star Wars.

2 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

Think you could find plenty of people in the US today who may not know that Star Trek came before Star Wars.

Then they should hire away WBs marketing team.

And that underlines what a missed opportunity it was not to tie the new film to the 50th anniversary.

Announcer:  "Before there was......."

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

Star Trek went wrong right off the bat due to its budget. A $185 million budget means that it needed to make $555 million WW to be what is usually deemed a box office success. Except the biggest grossing Star Trek film made $460 million WW. Possibly they thought that the franchise was growing when comparing Star Trek (2009) to Into Darkness. But that was obviously an iffy proposition. Not sure if there was  a better release date, but it also got hit by Bourne and SS. 

Ghostbuster was priced as a tentpole film when it should have been priced as a domestic comedy. Again the budget. Even with better reviews I don't see how this film would have grossed much more.  

Edited by straggler
  • Like 2