baumer

Wed#s SS 9.81 Guru....many soft drops for a Wednesday....Jesus Christ, that's a soft drop for Bourne, Sexy Legs for Moms, Pets -28% from last week and going for IO, FTSBF less than 10% drop....no sign of THE V

18 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I don't reasonably see how it gets higher than 50m.  It's been slightly trailing GOTG throughout its run, and will likely keep doing so (with the exception of Tuesday, which is explainable).  It'd need to start having much better drops than GOTG going forward to have a shot at that high of a weekend.

WE Will see :)

On 8/11/2016 at 10:17 AM, Baumer loves Dory said:

I don't pull numbers out of my ass and I don't make things up. I usually spend about 20 or 30 minutes looking at historical data. You should try doing the same thing. Just go to Box Office Mojo and check out what other films have done on the second weekend in August.

I do the same thing. I play the derby.

The problem with using the same weekend multipliers as Fantastic Four is that Suicide Squad already had a gigantic opening weekend that ate up demand. And even if you use the exact same multiplier as Fantastic Four, a 12% drop for Thursday still comes up short of $50m.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

One factor that might help SS a bit is that PETE'S DRAGON doesn't have Thursday previews (I think). (Actually, checking Fandango, there are a few very isolated midnight shows). Regardless of whether or not PD would do well with previews, that's a couple thousand showtimes available that wouldn't normally be.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

I think this summer has shown that whether there is competition or not, if folks want to go watch a film they will, and if they don't they're staying at home. 

I agree. I loved the first 2 Trek films, didn't bother to watch the third. I just really couldn't be fucked.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

And GOTG fell just like this and recovered on the weekend. So will SS.

310-335 is happening

In the immortal words of mr. Andrews from the Titanic, it's a mathematical certainty.

Guardians of the Galaxy had better word of mouth. 

2 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Same ole shit from the usual suspects every day:

"Awful number!! See? Toxic word of mouth!! It's a flop!"

Yawn.

I don't see anyone posting this in this thread. You said the same thing yesterday in that thread. You're talking about enemies that don't even exist and quite honestly you're not adding anything meaningful to the conversation besides poisoning the thread. At this point in time, I'd recommend you see a doctor for the voices that are going on in your head. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Nova said:

I think this summer has shown that whether there is competition or not, if folks want to go watch a film they will, and if they don't they're staying at home. 

Trek and Bourne arguably would have done better with different release dates and less competition. Secret Life of Pets might have trimmed Dory's legs a bit. But, yes. No competition does not help much if people just do not want to see the movie.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Same ole shit from the usual suspects every day:

"Awful number!! See? Toxic word of mouth its a flop!"

Yawn.

Your schitick is getting old. Nobody has said this number is bad, it was expected after the strong Tuesday jump. Friday number is the one that matters. As long as it jumps 60-65%, it's in good shape for high 50s to low 60s drop.

I assume that Sausage Party and Pete's Dragon will combine $60M+ DOM this weekend, possibly as high as $70M+ DOM. With that being the case, I'd be pretty surprised if Suicide Squad doesn't dip at least 65%. Both films eat into different aspects of Squad's audience. One snags teens and young adults interested in an R-rated irreverent comedy. The other's a family film that's far safer for the kids and folks than something like Squad. Both of which are generating some loud buzz as well within their respective genres as well.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 3

@JohnnyGossamer

"I'd be pretty surprised if Suicide Squad doesn't dip at least 65%"

You mean your hoping it dips at least 65%.

Until SP and PD does more damage on Movietickets.com I don't see any of them being a break out.

There's a reason why the tracking for both movies is so low and that's mainly because there's not much interest in them from social media.Long story short 

Nobody is talking about them!

I know what your gonna say

"PD is a family flim"

That doesn't matter if families doesn't want to see it ask BFG.

SP may hit 25mil but there's one way it's touching 30+ without that children audience.

Edited by Brainiac5

5 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

@JohnnyGossamer

"I'd be pretty surprised if Suicide Squad doesn't dip at least 65%"

You mean your hoping it dips at least 65%.

Until SP and PD does more damage on Movietickets.com I don't see any of them being a break out.

There's a reason why the tracking for both movies is so low and that's mainly because there's not much interest in them from media.Long story short 

Nobody is talking about them!

Sausage Party is currently at 7% on MT. Its an R-rated comedy so its pre-sales are not going to be indicative of what it can do during the weekend. But at 7%, thats actually pretty good. Pete's Dragons has little to no Thursday showings which would affect its pre-sale numbers. And we have already seen with various films this summer that tracking means shit when the film finally opens. There have been several films that have performed above what their tracking number indicated. 

Furthermore, as I have already stated. This summer season, lack of competition hasn't helped films. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1