Eric Atreides

Moonlight l A24 l Plan B l October 21, 2016 l Academy Award Best Picture

In depth interview with the playwright of In Moonlight Black Boys Look Blue which this movie is based on. 

Tarell Alvin McCraney’s Play Got Shelved. Then It Inspired The Year’s Best Film, Moonlight.

The accomplished Miami playwright talks about seeing his semi-autobiographical stage piece In Moonlight Black Boys Look Blue on the big screen.

http://www.thefader.com/2016/10/26/tarell-alvin-mccraney-playwright-moonlight

There are portions of In Moonlight Black Boys Look Blue based on actual parts of my life. I’ve been writing plays all my life for these programs, but this was different in that I was trying to piece out my life and experiences through art and in Liberty City. I was a grown man when I was writing this piece and I was looking at what my decisions were and if I’d made a turn at some point could I have been a totally different person? That’s the script I created and I shelved it because I was like, ‘This won't work as a play, it’s way too visual and too intimate in the characters and I didn’t have time to invent the world for the form. [Eventually] the Borscht Film Festival gave it to Barry, who I had not met but we grew up four blocks away from each other.

Everything is personal but I wasn't literally writing down moments from my life. Moonlight is one of the few pieces based on actual events; there are scenes in the movie that happened — the words and the scenario and the person, those things happened. And then there are parts that never happened to me and some of it happened to Barry. Writing it was no harder than going through the other circumstances I had to go through. Writing Head Of Passes I had to feel what it's like to be a person who's railing against God and asking God ‘why?’ and commanding him to answer. That was equally as hard as putting down things that are semi-autobiographical. Barry created something I couldn’t even imagine, that feels even more real than what I’d written down. It’s so beautiful, and yet it’s full of all the questions and the doubt and the guilt and the longing and the loneliness that was the impetus for the original piece.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

Apparently he steals Nocturnal Animals. 

He's probably gonna need to get a couple more strong credits under his belt before he gets considered for any kind of awards. Shannon is the more likely nominee for Nocturnal Animals given that he's a previous nominee (and said nomination was 8 years ago).

The initial expansion of this has crested but it looks like a soft landing with both TC and PTA. I think it can tread water between now and the Oscar noms and then tack on a substantial bounce.

Last year I was banging my fist in frustration at the refusal to expand Room. A24 has been more aggressive with Moonlight and if they continue to manage it well then $25 mil seems a fair domestic landmark. 

19 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Is this going to end up under Whiplash's total of $13m? I guess it will be close. It could be next to the lowest grossing Best Picture nominee since 2012.

Highly unlikely. Moonlight is already at 10m before Oscar noms have come out. Whiplash was only at 6m before Oscar noms. 

Moonlight will lose more theaters during Christmas but it's getting another expansion in January after awards are announced and I'd say it will add another 5 to 10m to it's total. It should be in the high teens possibly low 20s when all is said and done, so far from the lowest grossing Best Picture.

• Like 1