Eric Atreides

Moonlight l A24 l Plan B l October 21, 2016 l Academy Award Best Picture

nobody lost their mind just questioning the accuracy of your statement. i don't see it as a failure personally. it did very well for the type of film it is, it's probably the most arthouse best picture winner ever easy. was never gonna catch on in a huge way.

• Like 12

59 minutes ago, baumer said:

Just wanted to point out that even with a bullshit best picture win, this horrible film managed a meagre sub 4 million at the domestic box office after its oscar win.  A deserved somewhat of a failure.  This isn't the worst film to win best picture, but it's not far off.

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

It's amazing, say one small disparaging thing about Moonlight and some people here lose their freakin Minds LOL

You had every intention of starting shit with that first post. I'm sure you would react in a similar manner if someone attacked a film you loved without any provocation.

• Like 7

Just now, baumer said:

Well the difference with those three movies and Moonlight is that those three movies were actually good. Moonlight is not.

Fair enough (obviously for that part of you thinking that it is not a good movie), but is post win performance (20% of is total box office) is not particularly low at all and over 4m.

Thinking that it is a bullshit win is a different statement, that seem to imply that some voters voted for it high on their ballot without really liking the movie more than the others.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

You had every intention of starting shit with that first post. I'm sure you would react in a similar manner if someone attacked a film you loved without any provocation.

Lol. Uh no. Ive had to deal with my "horrible taste in film" for years. 

• Like 1

Just now, Barnack said:

Fair enough (obviously for that part of you thinking that it is not a good movie), but is post win performance (20% of is total box office) is not particularly low at all and over 4m.

Thinking that it is a bullshit win is a different statement, that seem to imply that some voters voted for it high on their ballot without really liking the movie more than the others.

Thats exactly what they did imo.

• Disbelief 1

Moonlight was already available for sale on digital download nearly two weeks before the ceremony and hit DVD and Blu-Ray the following Tuesday. It makes sense that it didn't pick up much business after the Oscar win. Moreover:

1.) Best Picture win or none, we're still talking about a slow-paced drama about a gay black male's coming of age that relies just as much upon facial expressions and body language as it does dialogue to convey information about its characters. I hate to play to stereotypes, but can anyone really see such a film connecting with the conservative multiplex crowd?

2.) Ask most average viewers what they remember about the Best Picture Oscar, and it will be that La La Land lost, not that Moonlight won. Thanks to the announcement gaffe, the narrative was all about La La Land's misfortune, not Moonlight's stunning upset.

49 minutes ago, baumer said:

Thats exactly what they did imo.

That is not an opinion on the movie either, don't play the victim card of you just expressed your opinion about a movie. Just assume your statement (nothing wrong with it), but it could be normal for people asking to back it up with some arguments.

You are talking about an award body voting group that nominated 0 black actor the year before and didn't go that much for Selma, and that was the year right after #OscarSoWhite, the group composition changed a little bit but not that much, combined with the fact that the votes are secrets (so no cost at all to just vote freely for who you want), it does not show that they care that much about what people think when they sit to vote.

Edited by Barnack

Putting aside subjective opinions about the movie, it's a great little success story: made for almost nothing as a passion project (budget was about 1.5m, I think), it manages to get into festivals, catches peoples' eyes, gets distribution, has a solid run for an arthouse movie, and astonishingly manages to get award traction and win the big enchilada. It's a dream come true for every filmmaker-to-be out there.

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, Spaghetti of 1000 Planets said:

Birdman: $4.56m after BP win

Spotlight: $5.88m after BP win

12YAS: $6.33m after BP win

and

Moonlight: $5.61m after BP win.

So I guess Birdman and Spotlight and 12 Years a Slave are also horrible movies.

?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spaghetti of 1000 Planets said:

Birdman: $4.56m after BP win

Spotlight: $5.88m after BP win

12YAS: $6.33m after BP win

and

Moonlight: $5.61m after BP win.

So I guess Birdman and Spotlight and 12 Years a Slave are also horrible movies.

What do all of these movies have in common (other than being Best Picture winners)? They were all available or about to be available on DVD by the time Oscar night came.

• Like 1