Eric Atreides

Moonlight l A24 l Plan B l October 21, 2016 l Academy Award Best Picture

Great interview

Moonlight’s Barry Jenkins on Directing One of the Best Films of the Year

By

http://www.vulture.com/2016/10/moonlight-director-barry-jenkins-cuts-deep.html

Though you're straight, you've made one of the most high-profile gay movies of the year.

I had some trepidation about it at the beginning, only because I think there are some stories that can only be told from a first-person perspective. I hadn't lived this aspect of the character's identity, but at the same time, I had so many other things in common with Chiron that I thought, If there's ever going to be a space where I can truly empathize with a character who has a core aspect of his identity that I don't share, it's going to be this case. Also, too, talking to Tarell through the writing process, I realized how aligned we were. I realized through that process that I could preserve Tarell's voice and meld it with my passion as an empathetic ally for LGBTQ stories. The combination of those two things could give me the room and breadth to actually be able to take authorship of this thing. What I say is that Moonlight could not have originated with me. It had to originate with Tarell. I think because it did, I felt very comfortable taking on the issues. I mean, the movie's very intersectional. There's so much going on with Chiron, and that's only one part of his identity. But I did feel because it's a core aspect of the material and a core aspect of all of Tarell's work that I could do it.

• Like 2

Just now, Dexter of Suburbia said:

Is there a list or did your local theater post something. 

AMC Aventura has posted showtimes for it next weekend (an indie theater also in the Miami area is also getting it, which makes sense since the movie is set there). That's where I'm seeing it unless it opens closer, God help me since Aventura is always a zoo (it has typically shown up in the listings that @Rth on the Cosmic Wave posts every now and then).

25 minutes ago, filmlover said:

AMC Aventura has posted showtimes for it next weekend (an indie theater also in the Miami area is also getting it, which makes sense since the movie is set there). That's where I'm seeing it unless it opens closer, God help me since Aventura is always a zoo (it has typically shown up in the listings that @Rth on the Cosmic Wave posts every now and then).

I am hoping for a local indie theater to play it here next weekend. 

On 10/23/2016 at 7:53 PM, Jonwo said:

I assume it'll be picked up by local distributors soon or even a big studio like Universal especially if it's an awards contender 

This will probably get post-nominations January/February runs worldwide.