Eric Atreides

Moonlight l A24 l Plan B l October 21, 2016 l Academy Award Best Picture

This movie is a technical marvel. The cinematography and shot framing are god worthy. 

Film only really hits emotionally in a couple scenes (mainly the one on the beach) 

That said it's better than all the BP winners since 2010 (excluding 12 Years a slave and The Artist because I haven't seen them) that aren't named Spotlight

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Moonlight's not the worst winner this decade, but it's not the best!

Hide contents

B, Don't fucking quote me and say "that's because The Artist is worse"

The Artist and SIL are worse.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Webslinger said:

I agree with virtually all of the analysis in this post. It's definitely one of the consequences of all the major studios shifting to such a franchise-centric approach more so than at any other past point in their history.

I'm also convinced that the preferential ballot has opened the door for movies that might not have had the support to win in the past. Although there's no denying that Spotlight and Moonlight had their large share of ardent fans in the Academy, I find it hard to believe - based upon a reading of the hype in each season - that they got more #1 votes than The Revenant and La La Land, respectively. Minimizing hype backlash is now a more essential task than ever in the Best Picture race.

Modern VFX changed everything, what you call franchise movies are in fact fantasy/SF/Superhero movies, all movies that use these new tools to create images you couldn't do before.

Even an action franchise like Fast & Furious  is super VFX heavy.

The production values on current movies are insane, just lool at a 2017 blockbuster, then 2012, 2007, 2002 , 1997 it s crazy.

The nerds have won and The Powers That Be in their little private soirées will discuss what movie about abuse was the best of the year.

Good for them.

Edited by The Futurist

1 hour ago, Goffe said:

Uses Nerd in a derogatory manner in a Box Office forum while talking about VFX.

You're truly something else, dude.

I'm not reading that usage as derogatory, quite the contrary. It seems clear to me that the implied insult in that sentence is directed at "The Powers That Be", and I would guess that "the nerds have won" is to Futurist's satisfaction and was intended as a compliment.

@The Futurist?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm not reading that usage as derogatory, quite the contrary. It seems clear to me that the implied insult in that sentence is directed at "The Powers That Be", and I would guess that "the nerds have won" is to Futurist's satisfaction and was intended as a compliment.

@The Futurist?

Thats how I took it as well. It's no secret that the "nerd" crowd is actually despised by the Hollywood Elite.

• Like 1