grim22

Alpha | August 17, 2018 | First movie from Jeff Robinov's Studio 8 | Sony releasing. Albert Hughes directing. Ice-Age set survival tale. Filmed in IMAX. Kodi Smit-McPhee starring

37 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Except that A Dog's Purpose video turned out to be manipulated bullshit.

The heavily edit made that very obvious from the get go, but the news that it was manipulated didn't reach many people I would imagine, that is not convincing click-bait, true or false does not often matter in today news.

I imagine not many of the world target audience knew about the video to start with and didn't have to learn that it was bullshit.

And that was a bit of an extreme example in dog purpose the movies pitch sound like: Hey you like dogs watch this movies, Alpha is not targeting people that particularly love bison I would think.

This also sound like manipulative bullshit, I can and did eat Bison's quite often, and I should be offended that 5 were butchered for a big movie production ? (A big movie production that killed hundreds of other animals to feed is crew....)

That is far fetched and if they would have used carcass from a meat company (like they claim they did) no one would have issue, but the distinction between the 2 scenario is quite slim.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Barnack said:

The heavily edit made that very obvious from the get go, but the news that it was manipulated didn't reach many people I would imagine, that is not convincing click-bait, true or false does not often matter in today news.

I imagine not many of the world target audience knew about the video to start with and didn't have to learn that it was bullshit.

And that was a bit of an extreme example in dog purpose the movies pitch sound like: Hey you like dogs watch this movies, Alpha is not targeting people that particularly love bison I would think.

This also sound like manipulative bullshit, I can and did eat Bison's quite often, and I should be offended that 5 were butchered for a big movie production ? (A big movie production that killed hundreds of other animals to feed is crew....)

That is far fetched and if they would have used carcass for a meat company (like they claim they did) no one would have issue, but the distinction between the 2 scenario is quite slim.

You're right. After remembering that Bison meat is sold in stores and Bison is certainly not going extinct anytime soon, I think I've overreacted a little bit. I don't think this is going to escalate into a serious issue.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, slambros said:

You're right. After remembering that Bison meat is sold in stores and Bison is certainly not going extinct anytime soon, I think I've overreacted a little bit. I don't think this is going to escalate into a serious issue.

Specially that they were bought not wild animals, the accusation is that they were killed just before the shoot specially for the movie, instead of a meat producer that would sold the best part of the meat for consumption and the rest of the carcass for the movie production.

There is a difference between the 2 scenario, but a rather small one, almost 100% of animals kill for food in developped country is purely for entertainment (as we simply prefer it to eat something that didn't required killed but is 100% unnecessary and just done because it is more fun to do), watching a movie that killed a cow or eating a steak instead of Tofu, the difference our brain make between the 2 is probably in real logic really slim to none.......

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

I got this trailer at Star Wars. This was likely the first time I've seen the trailer in the theaters. And I have to be honest, I got chills. This trailer works much better on the big screen than the phone screen! And I heard interested mutters from other moviegoers too. To be honest, I believe that this film should not be underestimated. It will excellently counter-program against Red Sparrow. In fact, this could do well enough to put more confidence into original content.

• ...wtf 1

I don't like being overly negative on this board (outside of snark), but I saw that trailer in the theater and it was just... Not good.

Well, that's not accurate. It started out fine.  More than fine actually, as I found it somewhat compelling at the beginning. I was genuinely getting interested in things. The whole prehistoric genre is a field just waiting to be mined in the right hands.

Then it fell off a cliff.  Literally.

I winced the second the wolf showed up and I kept wincing afterwards. The whole thing just became insipid. And I actively rolled my eyes at the tagline. 

Just give me something like Clan of the Cave Bear and do it right, dammit.  Is that too much to ask?  I mean, there is SO MUCH goddamn material for this genre, that it pains me to see it wasted like this.  Humanity vs Environment.  Humanity vs the Uncaring Gods. Humanity vs Humanity on a small scale.  Hell, Humanity Tries To Understand Their Place in an Incomprehensible World.

There's just so much that could be done with clan era/pre-historic civilization that it pains me to see this being wasted.

Hell, I liked the Early Man trailer a hell of a lot more than this one.  Early Man may be stupid, but at least it looks fun.  This looks to be stupid AND beige.  A terrible combo, IMO.

Now I'm prepared to be wrong, but this just looks bad all the way around.  When I'd rather see a movie that shows the set up (all that interesting clan stuff at the beginning) rather than the meat (boy and wolf), something is seriously wrong.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Why is this moving?

hqdefault.jpg

*BEEEP* *BEEEP* *BEEEP*

Okay, maybe not fair.  But, well, someone got a better explanation?  Looks like a classic 'dump to September' me.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

So it is now playing against The Darkest Minds instead of Red Sparrow. Okay.

I still have the feeling that this film will be very good. I think it will at least visually excellent just like the trailer suggests. Sure, as @Porthos pointed out, the film certainly is not as compelling as it could have been. I'm currently reading a famous literature novel called Things Fall Apart, which is about an African village nation, and it is refreshingly mature, complex, and grounded. And a film about prehistoric people groups in that vein really would be compelling in its own right.

But with the choices Studio 8 has made with the dog and the young protagonist, I'm thinking this film will be able to appeal to children and families, as well as moviegoers searching for a visually appealing epic.

I think Alpha will at least be able to handle this kind of story better than The Good Dinosaur did for sure. I'm sure this film has more up its sleeve, and that a story about the survival of a boy and his canine friend doesn't have to be a story with lazy writing shortcuts by default.

People will see this. I'm sure of it.

24 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Not very many, but you are correct that a few people will indeed see this

Never underestimate the type of audience that made the first Narnia a smash hit: children and families who are very interested in heartfelt adventure films like these.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, slambros said:

Never underestimate the type of audience that made the first Narnia a smash hit: children and families who are very interested in heartfelt adventure films like these.

Early August might have made a better bet then.  Maaaaybe Late July.  Try to catch kids before they head back to school (for the places that aren't on year round, that is).

• Like 1