grim22

Alpha | August 17, 2018 | First movie from Jeff Robinov's Studio 8 | Sony releasing. Albert Hughes directing. Ice-Age set survival tale. Filmed in IMAX. Kodi Smit-McPhee starring

Different strokes I guess. After watching the trailer I was pumped to see it. However, maybe it's just the genre or backdrop of the movie that excited me and I didn't even pay attention too much to the actual trailer. Wish it didn't move but if there's no apparent reason - cast injury or other production issues etc. - then it must mean they expect it to be bad and they're dumping it.

That or they're genuinely just changing their strategy. Maybe studios are realizing that any month can be lucrative if it's a good movie. Maybe Sony isn't dumping it, maybe they WANT it there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Different strokes I guess. After watching the trailer I was pumped to see it. However, maybe it's just the genre or backdrop of the movie that excited me and I didn't even pay attention too much to the actual trailer. Wish it didn't move but if there's no apparent reason - cast injury or other production issues etc. - then it must mean they expect it to be bad and they're dumping it.

That or they're genuinely just changing their strategy. Maybe studios are realizing that any month can be lucrative if it's a good movie. Maybe Sony isn't dumping it, maybe they WANT it there.

That's what I think. Alpha, as a film, screams Autumn more than it screams Spring, at least to me.

And while some films have had their dates shifted around and eventually dumped, this situation feels different. While you shouldn't ever judge a film by its trailers, I get chills every time I watch the trailer for Alpha. I think Sony moved this because they care about it doing well, and that they wanted to avoid a potential clash with the abundance of potential heavy-hitters in late February / early March.

In fact, if my hypothesis of Alpha being a film that would appeal to children is correct, Sony may have been biting their nails at the prospect of competing with A Wrinkle in Time, which would have come out a week after.

The important thing about this delay is that they may very well have the opportunity to fix something and make it better than it would've been. We'll see.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blank Panther said:

this movie looks so awful, is still trailer-stalking me, and got moved to September. i pray it bombs

Is it okay if I ask why you think the trailer looks awful? I personally get chills every time I see it- though I do admit that the part where the buffalo throw the main guy into the crevasse seems a little outlandish.

1 hour ago, Blankments said:

the taglines are cheesy

That sounds pretty fair...

the whole premise seems like the dumbest thing to do with a caveman epic 

Well, I will admit that there are definitely better ways to tell a caveman epic.

the cinematography is ugly 

:apocalypse:

I think this film looks gorgeous...

From the fall to the summer, huh... this might be a sign of confidence but the competition could be pretty thick on its new date (Captive StateCrazy Rich AsiansThe Happytime Murders, and Three Seconds). Any one of those films could strike a chord with audiences. Then again, so could Alpha.

In fact, after what happened with The Greatest Showman (inviting event film with good visual choices despite its mixed reviews), I see why Alpha might have a similar potential edge that no one is considering. This is the type of story that audiences love, plain and simple, and it is told in a way that is inviting to the general audience, and it is told with good visual choices. Could the reviews be mixed? Certainly. But I honestly believe that this film has some good hidden potential if audiences are willing to go for it.

I think this has a place among the heavy competition from The Darkest Minds, The Meg, and (potentially) Captive State. I also think that this is almost guaranteed to do fairly well overseas.

7 minutes ago, That Ambitious Guy said:

Is there a better descriptive word for me to use than "thick"? I'm not sure how the use of that word to describe the amount of competition is amusing... in other words, if there is a joke, I simply don't get it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, slambros said:

Is there a better descriptive word for me to use than "thick"? I'm not sure how the use of that word to describe the amount of competition is amusing... in other words, if there is a joke, I simply don't get it.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/thicc

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 2