grim22

Alpha | August 17, 2018 | First movie from Jeff Robinov's Studio 8 | Sony releasing. Albert Hughes directing. Ice-Age set survival tale. Filmed in IMAX. Kodi Smit-McPhee starring

22 hours ago, MovieGuyKyle17 said:

This movie looks really boring. 

On 8/2/2018 at 5:01 AM, TwoMisfits said:

Saw the preview tonight - my kids were wildly unimpressed.  This probably has "financial misfire" written all over it...

On 8/2/2018 at 4:57 AM, Spagheditary said:

I’m starting to think this is going to bomb really, REALLY hard. Like, sub 5m opening.

On 7/25/2018 at 10:50 AM, Istealnames said:

This looks terrible. A big flop.

Get a life, will you? You have no idea what beauty in life means...

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 2

30 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

Get a life, will you? You have no idea what beauty in life means...

Last time I checked, we discuss box office on this forum.  Since I got this preview at 2 kid movies in a row (Incredibles 2 and Teen Titans Go to the Movies), I have to assume the movie is strongly targeting the kid/family audience.  So, having anecdotal feedback from kids would be slightly useful to others to predict box office...and eventual profitability for the movie.  

I don't have a skin in this game good or bad...I just doubt its box office when my kids (and the entire theater) greet the preview twice with shrugs/silence (and in 2 of my kids' cases, giggles and the words "what were they thinking" - now, those kids fall into that great age group when you start getting snarky, so I didn't post that part of their opinion, b/c just knowing they aren't interested at all is enough to know it's not appealing...details don't matter)...

• Like 2

Yes, your comment was different from the others and had some value and info. Sorry for generalizing.

I also don't think this movie will sit well with kids - but because it wasn't meant for them. What did YOU think about it?

Also, personal question: did it look good/beautiful throughout, as in the trailer - or were the visuals way too dark, etc.?

PS: My mistake, I thought you've seen early release of the movie. But it seems you mean preview, as in trailer.

PS2: You and your kids paid tickets for what I see as cine-garbage - the latest DC animation. Based on that, I could assume that they are the last people on Earth to appreciate a movie like Alpha anyway. :)

Edited by shayhiri

41 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

Yes, your comment was different from the others and had some value and info. Sorry for generalizing.

I also don't think this movie will sit well with kids - but because it wasn't meant for them. What did YOU think about it?

Also, personal question: did it look good/beautiful throughout, as in the trailer - or were the visuals way too dark, etc.?

PS: My mistake, I thought you've seen early release of the movie. But it seems you mean preview, as in trailer.

PS2: You and your kids paid tickets for what I see as cine-garbage - the latest DC animation. Based on that, I could assume that they are the last people on Earth to appreciate a movie like Alpha anyway. :)

Well, you know, one man's trash, another man's treasure...

What did I think of the movie trailer?  If I had a free ticket, I'd see it, just b/c it does seem like they took care in the movie-making.  But, the material is not something I'd go out of my way to see (I'm not usually one for the human/animal relationship stories), and the trailer did not make me want to pay $28 to see (my Friday night date night cost)...maybe if I get my subscription pass, I'd check it out, but it will likely be punted by theaters before then, b/c I think it will struggle to find its audience in a surprisingly very packed August...it's probably advertising to the wrong folks and missing the ones that might go for it...

PS - If you've read other posters on the board (and not just me:), surprisingly DC put out a pretty great little movie in TTG...it's also not gonna be around in theaters long with this brutal August (thanks to all the really well-performing early summer movies and the just swarms of movies releasing every weekend this month:), but it's worth it to check that one out over Justice League or BvS:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

100% CURRENTLY AT RT!!

Harrowing and heartwarming, this coming-of-age tale of unlikely friends is a phenomenal, pulse-pounding journey worth taking. This is The Black Stallion for a new generation.

Eat it, haterz!!

Edited by shayhiri

3 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

100% CURRENTLY AT RT!!

Harrowing and heartwarming, this coming-of-age tale of unlikely friends is a phenomenal, pulse-pounding journey worth taking. This is The Black Stallion for a new generation.

Eat it, haterz!!

With a sample size of 1 :L 

• Haha 1