Ezen Baklattan

Weekend Thread | Estimates SS 43.7m, SP 33.6m, PD 21.5, JCIJB 13.6m, BM 11.45m, SLOP 8.8m, STD 6.8m, FFJ 6.58m

4 minutes ago, jb007 said:

The fandom alone isn't enough to make Marvel as successful as it has been. Casual fans are a big part of it.

I'm not a comic book fan at all. In fact prior to 2008, the only MCU SH I was familiar with was Captain America. (Referred in Men in Black), but knew several DC characters since the late 70s. The only comics I have read in my life are those of Superman. 

As a casual fan, I like MCU because their movies for the most part competently made where as the DCEU movies have been a complete mess. 

My preference of MCU over DCEU is purely due to quality. It is that simple.

Me too. I had no clue who Iron Man was in 2008, let alone Thor, Captain America, etc. I only went to see that movie cause my mom got us free tickets from work. I did see Batman Begins 3 times in the theater though, but after the Nolan trilogy ended, it just became obvious to me that DC/WB was a bit clueless about anything not Batman..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Iron Man 2, Ultron and Civil War were all guaranteed certain things as well 

I still would compare GOTG to Pirates before I compared it to other Marvel films.  But if the quality and marketing are lackluster an Iron Man 2 comp might happen.

Oooh ooh I wanna rank Summer 2017 now I wanna rank Summer 2017 now

Guardians: 375m 

Spider-Man: 310m 

Despicable Me 3: 300m 

Wonder Woman: 270m 

Dunkirk: 240m 

Transformers: 200m 

Apes: 180m (this one's gotta move) 

Mummy: 160m 

Kingsman: 160m 

Valerian: 150m (Lucy made almost 500 mil worldwide, Besson might be a genius) 

Pirates and Cars won't even make summer top 10.

The summer of the midrange movie is back, even if it's because half of these movies are blockbuster franchises that should've ended a long time ago. Otherwise it's same old same old. Marvel CGI DC sequel reboot CGI. At least Nolan is back in summer.

May looks ROUGH after Guardians. Nut Job 2? Annabelle 2? Diary of a Wimpy Kid 4? When did this month become a dumping ground? I second whoever said Apes should take 5/19. Mummy would also be a good choice. 

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

Disney is probably going to put the minimal effort into Pirates tbh. I can't imagine they'd want to deal with the toxic Depp situation in any way shape or form. 

If this Johnny Depp thing doesn't clear up sooner than later, and if they think the movie is mediocre, I could see them putting minimal effort in the Domestic market and put almost everything into overseas marketing where the controversy that Depp is in won't affect anything.  

The only reason Disney even made another Pirates movie is because the really shitty Stranger Tides had that ridiculous $800m overseas total that pushed it over $1b total.  They certainly aren't making it for the declining $240m domestic total and career in shambles Johnny Depp.  

Unless the movie is good, and I mean damn good, I could see this pulling a much milder version of Alice 2 domestic.  Something like a $70m opening and $190m domestic wouldn't shock me if it sucks.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

Me too. I had no clue who Iron Man was in 2008, let alone Thor, Captain America, etc. I only went to see that movie cause my mom got us free tickets from work. I did see Batman Begins 3 times in the theater though, but after the Nolan trilogy ended, it just became obvious to me that DC/WB was a bit clueless about anything not Batman..

It seems like there are huge numbers of people like us. The kind that supported competent DC movies as well as good Marvel movies.

We are like the independent voters that determine the winner of the elections above and beyond the normal left/right party votes. :)

Edited by jb007

4 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

People 'not liking' CW is the biggest crock of shit I've read on this board for a while.

It is, but I think it's plausible that the WOM from fans who loved it to casual moviegoers was a little more measured due to it being more reliant on previous film events than say, GOTG which probably got ringing endorsements from everyone to everyone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Im sure people liked it, just maybe not as much as somewhat hyperbolic early reactions 

I think in this case, the critical response almost acted like a fan response simply because critics are forced to watch all the previous movies as part of their job so there was little chance many critics went in with no marvel knowledge. 

20 minutes ago, John Marston said:

While Civil War's legs made sense, how come nobody was saying any of the things about how it would very frontloaded due to its position in the series before its second weekend drop ?

It likely didn't cross the mind of members amongst all the hype, and was never really brought up before that.  I do think everyone will be aware in future Marvel installments.

12 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Iron Man 2, Ultron and Civil War were all guaranteed certain things as well 

I get Iron Man 2 as that didn't increase due to being a shitty movie killing the legs.  Ultron also because it wasn't nearly well received as Avengers.  In hindsight, we should have seen Ultron not increasing due to the having to watch 8 other movies to have any clue what was happening factor.

Civil War can't be put in there though.  It did everything it should have with a huge opening and $400m domestic despite all previously talked about reasons.  

I might be made to look like a fool next May, but don't see GOTG 2 doing anything but increasing as long as it is a similar quality to the first.  The opening is guaranteed to massively increase to at a minimum the $150m range.   

2 minutes ago, The Panda said:

It likely didn't cross the mind of members amongst all the hype, and was never really brought up before that.  I do think everyone will be aware in future Marvel installments.

Also, well.. before the movie came out, very few people had seen the movie? So how were they really supposed to know how confusing it might be to a newcomer. It was sort of brought up in a few critics reviews, but most of them had ignored that fact too probably cause they too had seen all the previous movies and didn't find it an issue.

Edited by moviesRus

9 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

People 'not liking' CW is the biggest crock of shit I've read on this board for a while.

Total anecdote: last week I had an husband/wife organizer team come to help clean up my office (total mess since we moved). I got to talking with the guy about summer movies, because he said how much he loves going to see blockbusters. (The conversation started off when he asked if I was gonna see SUICIDE SQUAD). After raving about BAD MOMS, he started talking about other big summer movies he'd seen. I asked if he saw X-MEN, and he said he didn't like it that much. Said he was expecting something bigger and cooler, not two teams fighting against each other. I said, wait a sec, are you talking about X-MEN? He then realized he was talking about CIVIL WAR, which he reiterated he didn't like it much. Then he said he really enjoyed X-MEN.

General audiences, man.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

It is, but I think it's plausible that the WOM from fans who loved it to casual moviegoers was a little more measured due to it being more reliant on previous film events than say, GOTG which probably got ringing endorsements from everyone to everyone.

I do agree with this and know I did this personally.  I would talk to people I knew that were casual movie goers that don't watch every Marvel movie, and when I mentioned I had gone to see Civil War I told them I really liked it but didn't recommend they see it because they needed to watch at least 5 specific movies to have any clue what was going on.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

I get Iron Man 2 as that didn't increase due to being a shitty movie killing the legs.  Ultron also because it wasn't nearly well received as Avengers.  In hindsight, we should have seen Ultron not increasing due to the having to watch 8 other movies to have any clue what was happening factor.

Civil War can't be put in there though.  It did everything it should have with a huge opening and $400m domestic despite all previously talked about reasons.  

I might be made to look like a fool next May, but don't see GOTG 2 doing anything but increasing as long as it is a similar quality to the first.  The opening is guaranteed to massively increase to at a minimum the $150m range.   

Civil War did fine but it was also "guaranteed" to have better legs than IM3 and Ultron simply because of the reviews. Just like how IM2 was guaranteed to top IM1  and Ultron guaranteed to make 550m at least

• Like 1