FlashMaster659

Monday - SS 5.1, SP about 4.4 (Not Asgard) PLEASE READ ANNOUNCEMENT THAT IS POSTED ON PAGE 6, IT IS ALSO PINNED AT TOP OF FORUM

Just now, Baumer loves Dory said:

If you have trouble understanding why this needs to be done, then perhaps you are part of the problem.

And you are definitely being confrontational.

Yes and the note you guys made was very non confrontational.:lol:

I will say if this leads to more civil debate, then I support you guys.

But you guys are doing this to clamp down on legit debate that does not agree to your sensibilities, I will call you guys on it.

Thats all :)

6 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Yes and the note you guys made was very non confrontational.:lol:

I will say if this leads to more civil debate, then I support you guys.

But you guys are doing this to clamp down on legit debate that does not agree to your sensibilities, I will call you guys on it.

Thats all :)

I think its perfectly normal for chronically shitty posting to be against people's sensibilities.  Without naming names, a few here have been off the chain lately and a "confrontational" announcement about it as you put it, is warranted.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Its simple, the films do well financially but they are terribile and people cant figure that out including the mods :lol:

So everyone has hissyfits 

you have no idea how terribly condescending your post is, do you?

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 2

I'm thankful for the announcement.  I think the debate is fine to be had for people that care about, but like you guys said there's a thread for it.  (Including review threads, there's multiple really)  I had gotten sick of seeing every numbers thread turn into another DC/Marvel debate.

There are numbers comparisons you can make between DC and Marvel films, which is fine, because many perform similarly or they're the closest comparisons we have (such as Guardians has been a good go to run to compare SS to).  You can even factor in that SS' mixed reception compared to a more positive reception of GOTG will probably cause SS' drops to track a bit below it.  But there's really no reason to debate why one studios movie is a better one than the others in this thread, it's annoying and isn't just un-productive torwards the main conversation, it turns the thread toxic.

At this point I'd rather see Trump vs Clinton debates in the number threads over DC vs Marvel (especially as somebody who really couldn't care less).  So thank you mods.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 5

@Baumer loves Dory@Tele the Jet Baller

While the administrative team's stern message was not only commendable but warranted, I will have you know that there are unintended repercussions due to this action,

1. We will never know why movies with similar RT scores can have different ratings

2. We will not know the truth behind the conspiracy of movies released, after a certain studio released its movies, getting undeserved glowing reviews on RT

3. We will not know whether RT is an evil organization hellbent on controlling the world i.e.. the Empire or the First Order

4. We will lose out some of the best comical interludes due to meltdowns

&

5. We will never know which RT critic/s was at the grassy knoll

:mellow::mellow::mellow:

• Like 10

1 minute ago, jb007 said:

@Baumer loves Dory@Tele the Jet Baller

While the administrative team's stern message was not only commendable but warranted, I will have you know that there are unintended repercussions due to this action,

1. We will never know why movies with similar RT scores can have different ratings

2. We will not know the truth behind the conspiracy of movies released, after a certain studio released its movies, getting undeserved glowing reviews on RT

3. We will not know whether RT is an evil organization hellbent on controlling the world i.e.. the Empire or the First Order

4. We will lose out some of the best comical interludes due to meltdowns

&

5. We will never know which RT critic/s was at the grassy knoll

:mellow::mellow::mellow:

giphy.gif

(meant in good fun) :) 

• Like 6

Jesus guys, it's just a freaking movie (in reference to that message). I'm very much in the same boat to those didn't like it either but I don't spend my time consistently bashing it. I actually saw it again because I wanted to try to understand the side that loves it. My rating went up slightly but not by much. Oh well, all I want out of all of this in relation to box office is the other cut to be released. I know it's not likely but I really hope it happens. I thought all this stuff would be over after BVS but it looks like it's never ending which is why I kept mocking this stupid war.

Anyway after watching Double Toasteds review of Sausage Party, they convinced me to go to theaters. I thought it was just a dumb stoner comedy with nothing else so was going to wait. I have no problem supporting original ideas either.

I would have went tonight but wanted to see the USA vs Brazil in Volleyball and the finals of gymnastics.

1 hour ago, The Panda said:

At this point I'd rather see Trump vs Clinton debates in the number threads over DC vs Marvel (especially as somebody who really couldn't care less).  So thank you mods.

God not me. I meant it when I said I was taking a break from everything that had to do with the election until the debates. Yet Facebook constantly has that news in the top trends. 

I don't care anymore. Give me Marvel vs DC anyday over the never ending Trump vs Clinton headlines.

I have to add my voice in saying that I am thankful for the mods making the announcement. It's really refreshing to see a moderating team dedicated to ensuring this place is kept as a space for productive discussion.

It's very easy to have good, interesting, and intense debates about box office (and yes, even Marvel vs DC) without being a jerk. I see it all the time on this board - it is magic when I get to read a conversation in a weekend thread or daily numbers thread that is a productive dialogue back and forth about numbers and film. I learn so much. 

The best posts in this thread and the weekend threads have been from posters that consistently post smart box office analysis and that you can tell keep themselves open to having a dialogue. These individuals consider the ideas of others and engage with them in a generous manner, so that even controversial and messy topics can be discussed in a thoughtful way. Similarly, it's very easy to tell when others are being confrontational, looking for a fight, and not actually speaking to anything of substance.

It's really quite simple: debate about whatever you want, but treat the other person with kindness instead of rudeness, condescension, and ad hominem attacks. Indeed, presenting arguments in a careful, attack-free manner actually makes your arguments stronger and more persuasive!

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 7