grim22

Holmes and Watson | Dec 25 2018 | Sony | Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

If a film is depending on being a "second choice because the movie you realy want to see is sold out" for it's success, it's not a good outlook.

Sorry for the confusion, that's not at all what I meant. Lots of folks go see multiple movies over the holiday season. I meant go see the big franchise movie on opening weekend (Aquaman or whatever), and then go see a different movie on Christmas or the 26th.

Ehhh. FWIW, my parents got a good laugh at the trailer when they saw it a few days ago. But then again, they think Will Ferrell is hysterical, to the point where I'm pretty sure they like even The House.

Guess it helps that this and Second Act are the only comedies coming out this season, and this one has a decent enough concept.

58 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Ehhh. FWIW, my parents got a good laugh at the trailer when they saw it a few days ago. But then again, they think Will Ferrell is hysterical, to the point where I'm pretty sure they like even The House.

Guess it helps that this and Second Act are the only comedies coming out this season, and this one has a decent enough concept.

I think it's been more or less proven that just because something is the only real comedy in the marketplace at a certain point in time, it's nowhere near guaranteed to break out.

Edited by Jay Beezy

12 hours ago, Curtis1986 said:

This will be the Robin Hood of this Christmas. There is absolutely no hype or his film.

They’ve only put out the one trailer so far. With less than a month to go, will we even get another?

I sent in the email for John Campea asking for his opinion on the trailer. He said he’s a massive fan of Step Brothers so he was looking forward to a Holmes and Watson comedy starring Ferrell/Reilly. In the email, I compared it to Year One and Your Highness like @filmlover and I did here. Campea took it one step further and said the trailer reminded him of the Friedberg/Seltzer spoofs.

Edited by Jay Beezy

1 hour ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

I liked the trailer and hope it does well but Ferrell isn't that big anymore and audiences might not be interested in another Sherlock adaptation (even as a parody).   

There hasn't been a good Will Ferrell movie since Anchorman 2, which was ultimately forgettable as no one was quoting that movie like the first one. And this new movie coming from the director of Get Hard instead of Step Brothers does not inspire confidence.

1 hour ago, Jay Beezy said:

There hasn't been a good Will Ferrell movie since Anchorman 2, which was ultimately forgettable as no one was quoting that movie like the first one. And this new movie coming from the director of Get Hard instead of Step Brothers does not inspire confidence.

I loved Anchorman 2. I still find it really funny. 

2 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

This movie have zero hype. 

It's honestly really sad. You have Will Ferrell and John C Reilly teaming back up again after making some of the great 21st century comedies like Talladega Nights and Step Brothers (probably my favorite comedy. So rewatchable), and not only are they teaming up again, they are playing two of the MOST ICONIC characters in fiction ever. This should be like an event movie.

Sony isn't even trying. They know they have a stinker most likely but I feel like they should be able to make money off this. I have no idea what they're doing. No Adam Mckay definitely is hurting the quality of the movie. If Mckay was here, I bet he could've made something special. I got some laughs out of the trailer but I also cringed at some bits. I think the problem with doing these period piece comedies is that they're talking in older dialect but they're making jokes that are only relevant in today's world. So that really just makes it weird. Like the selfie joke with the queen where Reilly says something like "QUEEEEEEEEN or GIRRRRRLLLL" while taking the selfie.... Eh.

23 minutes ago, Alli said:

BO predicts 13M OW. I kinda agree.  But i think it can finish around 80M with that opening

Yeah Christmas legs will help it just like every other movie coming out at this time. Won't have a huge OW as they would at any other less crowded date, but they should all have legs... except for Mortal Engines