grim22

Holmes and Watson | Dec 25 2018 | Sony | Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I’ve seen the trailer before a few movies but it always lands with a thud for the most part. When you’re selling a comedy, it’s probably important to have actual laughs.

looking at who directed this movie  it probably doesn't have many last which is why Sony isn't trying to Market it

On 12/9/2018 at 10:44 AM, Pinacolada said:

It's honestly really sad. You have Will Ferrell and John C Reilly teaming back up again after making some of the great 21st century comedies like Talladega Nights and Step Brothers (probably my favorite comedy. So rewatchable), and not only are they teaming up again, they are playing two of the MOST ICONIC characters in fiction ever. This should be like an event movie.

Sony isn't even trying. They know they have a stinker most likely but I feel like they should be able to make money off this. I have no idea what they're doing. No Adam Mckay definitely is hurting the quality of the movie. If Mckay was here, I bet he could've made something special. I got some laughs out of the trailer but I also cringed at some bits. I think the problem with doing these period piece comedies is that they're talking in older dialect but they're making jokes that are only relevant in today's world. So that really just makes it weird. Like the selfie joke with the queen where Reilly says something like "QUEEEEEEEEN or GIRRRRRLLLL" while taking the selfie.... Eh.

This.

In terms of Will Ferrell movies not directed by Adam McKay, there are more bad ones than good ones. The only ones I've enjoyed are Blades of Glory and The Campaign. And both of his previous pairings with John C. Reilly had Adam McKay as the director.

When Reilly teams up with Ferrell, he's there to emulate Ferrell's schtick, unlike Mark Wahlberg who's there as a foil. Reilly emulating Ferrell was funny for Talladega Nights and Step Brothers, but those were over 10 years ago and with Adam McKay as the director. Ferrell's schtick has gotten tiresome over time and with different directors. So the issue is if Reilly is simply emulating Ferrell's schtick now with the director of Get Hard instead of Step Brothers, we're getting a double dose of a tiresome schtick.

I wonder if Sony will forego screenings for critics before it opens. If that happens, it'll be The House all over again.

Edited by Jay Beezy

2 hours ago, Jay Beezy said:

So is this movie even screening for critics? It doesn't seem to be screening for non-critics according to advancescreenings.com.

Everything points to the answer being “no.” This will probably have a decent opening day (it’s selling well on Christmas Day in one of the bigger auditoriums) and then wither away from there.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Everything points to the answer being “no.” This will probably have a decent opening day (it’s selling well on Christmas Day in one of the bigger auditoriums) and then wither away from there.

Kinda weird it’s selling well where you are after you say the trailer hasn’t had a good response.

Oddly the movie is currently open in New Zealand. There’s one review up from there.

Edited by Jay Beezy

8 hours ago, Jay Beezy said:

Kinda weird it’s selling well where you are after you say the trailer hasn’t had a good response.

Oddly the movie is currently open in New Zealand. There’s one review up from there.

It’s Christmas Day, everything is filling up. Even Welcome to Marwen is selling well and that is looking to be the flop of the holidays.

4 hours ago, AndyK said:

This does look terrible but I am biased because I really don't like Will Ferrells brand of humour.

I've enjoyed his movies, but not as much as others have. The favorites among the big Will Ferrell fans seem to be Anchorman and Step Brothers. My favorites are Blades of Glory and The Other Guys.

I haven't liked any of his recent ones, though. And this one looks to follow suit.

Edited by Jay Beezy

1 hour ago, Halba said:

Ferrell/Reilly are toxic critically.

Ticket buyer beware.

Audience will like it better than critics at least(but at nearly 0% RT, nowhere to go but up)

It's at 8% so it's already gone up.

Ferrell/Reilly weren't critically toxic before. It's more that Ferrell is critically toxic without Adam McKay, regardless of who his costar is.

Edited by Jay Beezy