WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 62): Suicide Squad 20.9M | Sausage Party 15.5M | War Dogs 14.7M | Kubo 12.6M | Pete's Dragon 11.3M | Ben Hur 11.2M

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

It honestly feels like that typical 20-23M/50-60M movie WB releases every year in September.

Sully will probably open between 19-20m and leg it out to 75-80m,  Eastwood's name still has some pull. When the Bough Breaks might give it a run on opening weekend though.

2 hours ago, a2knet said:

I feel the same way about Passengers and Sing regarding 200+ dom.

I don't think The Magnificent Seven or Passengers will make 200m, but I think Sing will make 200m easily unless Illumination really screws the film up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Silly trailer looks pretty great on the big screen. Granted I didn't get the full IMAX experience but even just a regular movie theatre screen that IMAX trailer looks awesome.

Assuming you mean Sully, I agree.  It looks great, visually.  My only problem is I'm really interested in seeing the first 30 minutes but not so sure about the rest.  I'll probably end up seeing it, but it will be a 'consensus of the group' type of film.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

I don't think The Magnificent Seven or Passengers will make 200m, but I think Sing will make 200m easily unless Illumination really screws the film up.

I think that unless the reviews are really bad, Passengers will make 200M, and everything so far sounds great about it.  I'm assuming decent reviews for my club on it...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, a2knet said:

-35% is a great weekend OS drop. Especially if it did not open in many new territories this weekend.

675 ww (370 + 305) should happen IMO.

China could have pushed (can push) it close to 750.

Germany opening should be around $7m.  So around $31m minus Germany ~ 49% drop from pre-existing territories.

Agreed it should hit around $370m O/S unless it has a big breakout in Japan

8 minutes ago, trifle said:

I think that unless the reviews are really bad, Passengers will make 200M, and everything so far sounds great about it.  I'm assuming decent reviews for my club on it...

It's technically not locked to make 200m though, even if reviews are good. 160m is my prediction, and that's a good number.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

It's technically not locked to make 200m though, even if reviews are good. 160m is my prediction, and that's a good number.

I'm not sure what makes something technically locked to make a number, but we can agree to disagree.  I don't feel like you insulted the movie, I think we just have different ideas of what the scale is going to be, when it comes out.

Mind you, Sony is really dropping the ball on promotion, imho.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Mag 7 is being overpredicted. I think 110-115m is  a reasonable number given the star power, genre and time of month.  Don't forget there are lots of options for adults this time of year; Sully, Deepwater Horizon in September and Girl on the Train, The Accountant in October.

Sully will probably do atleast  Bridge of Spies numbers.

Deepwater Horizon has Mark Walhberg, whose star power should bring it to atleast 40m

Girl on the Train is a popular novel, going to perform like a mini-Gone Girl,likely another 100m+ grosser.

The Accountant has some good buzz, and with the good will Affleck has from BvS I see it performing respectably with 60-65m. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, trifle said:

I'm not sure what makes something technically locked to make a number, but we can agree to disagree.  I don't feel like you insulted the movie, I think we just have different ideas of what the scale is going to be, when it comes out.

Mind you, Sony is really dropping the ball on promotion, imho.

I actually agree. They haven't even released a teaser yet. C'mon Sony, what's taking so long?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a2knet said:
Domestic:  $262,283,335    45.8%
Foreign:  $310,400,000    54.2%

Worldwide:  $572,683,335

It's holding very well internationally. I thought SS would finish just below $600M at the end, so it's doing better than I expected. And way ahead of what I expected from a Suicide Squad movie a year ago.

Too bad it needs $2 billion to just break even.

• Like 5

I knew the 1959 Ben-Hur was very popular but didn't realize it was quite so high on the All-Time Adjusted List:

12 101 Dalmatians Dis. $865,283,400 $144,880,014 1961^
13 The Empire Strikes Back Fox $850,244,300 $290,475,067 1980^
14 Ben-Hur MGM $848,680,000 $74,000,000 1959
15 Avatar Fox $842,230,600 $760,507,625 2009^
16 Return of the Jedi Fox $814,554,500 $309,306,177 1983^

Not to mention its unadjusted total... to think, the 2016 version getting to $74M at this point would be exceeding expectations!

• Like 1