Thegun

Thegun's 50 Worst Sequels Ever Made (#15)

I was trying to figure out a list to come up with next. I had 25, but it kept expanding.  I still need to do my rankings, but I might need a few more. Anyone have anything from pre 1975? 

My list could include a lot. But I'm avoiding the ones that had complete cast overhauls or bullshit like that.  These are going to be legit sequels. I'm going to exclude Bond Films as well as none have ever really been sequels outside of QOS, besides the only ones I would really add would be from the Moore Era, maybe Brosnan.  These are going to be sequels that completely make you nearly hate watching the original, because you know what would come later.  I'm also going to not let my personal opinions get in the way, I'm going to judge based on complete fall from the film prior: Whether it is story, acting, even technical issues, etc. Whether it was necessary and told horribly or just a cash grab.  I will start most likely tomorrow night.  I have 59, and have a good placing, now just need to as Tony Stark would say "Tinker"

Edited by Thegun
  • Like 7

There are soooo many post 1975, before is far more difficult

Son Of Kong (1933)

Beneath The Planet Of The Apes (1970) 

The Road to Hong Kong (1962) (This was the last of the Road To movies. The one before is probably the weakest up until then but it's leagues better than this deacded too late one)

I actually like Beneath.  Its a complete rehash of the first, but the 2nd half is very fun.  All four sequels are actually pretty underrated.  Rise and Dawn definitely have borrowed a lot from them. Escape is probably the best of them if you ever get a chance.

47 rated.  8 more to go through for the final list.

• Like 1

I haven't seen nearly enough pre 1970s to suggest old ones but here are a few suggestions. 

Spider-Man 3

All POTC sequels compared to the fist kind of pale in comparison 

Iron Man 2 (and 3 if you asked me)

X-Men 3

Rocky V

Superman III (haven't seen Superman IV, but I'm sure it's awful too)

The Amazing Spider-man 2 

It's really depending on the criteria. 

If we're talking about worst sequels, as in having a huge drop off in quality from what came before, The Dark Knight Rises comes to mind. Following one of the greatest blockbusters ever and a modern classic, with that? A film that was daring, smart, unique and a had the guts to do a third act based on the battle of philosophical view points of it's characters rather than the CGI nonsense that has plagued every single comic book film since, was followed by a third act that had:

a) A huge fist fight between cops and terrorists probably inspired by the stupidity of Russian hooligans youtube videos

b ) A time ticking bomb, straight out of the 80's B movies

c) One of the most useless, vapid twists in a major blockbuster that devalued the characters instead of enhancing them

Not to mention, the gasoline bat sign, ''Robin'' knowing who Batman is by seeing through his pain, Batman forgiving Catwoman for no reason whatsoever, trusting Robin for no reason whatsoever, the utter nonsense of a plan that Talia and Bane put together, the dumbest police force in the history of cinema, the fact that Batman forgot why he actually turned into a vigilante, his parents' death being a vague memory buried somewhere behind Catwoman's buttocks, etc,etc...

Nolan should have stopped at The Dark Knight. It's ending is so emotional, so heroic, Batman riding through the night with Zimmer's score and Oldman's monologue in the background...it didn't need a sequel at all. It would have been such a cool thing to not follow every single franchise and leave at the top without bothering to ''top'' what came before.

Batman's arc from Batman Begins to the end of The Dark Knight is a lot more satisfying than the arc from BB to the end of Rises where he basically retired with Pussy Galore, enjoying the riviera and let a complete stranger with absolutely no training whatsoever take over the mantle. I'm convinced he actually trolled John Blake to try it out and get killed on his first night, for discovering his secret.

Edited by The Dark Samurai
  • Like 2

Lol, Well I can easily rip apart TDK and how it's the worst of the trilogy.  It's all about perspective. Hearing how realistic TDK is almost vomit inducing. But no,  Nolan's films will not be making an appearance on this list. I'm at 50.  Couple hours of work and then we should be good to go. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Thegun said:

Lol, Well I can easily rip apart TDK and how it's the worst of the trilogy.  It's all about perspective. Hearing how realistic TDK is almost vomit inducing. But no,  Nolan's films will not be making an appearance on this list. I'm at 50.  Couple hours of work and then we should be good to go. 

You can try, and you'll lose that argument like Brazil-Germany 2014.

• Like 1

That's all right, that means absolutely nothing to me. I'm guessing soccer?

And I'm sorry, but the film loses any realism the second not one but two successful handsome guys are head over heels in love with Maggie Gylennhaal. That chick is about as sexy as week old milk.

Edited by Thegun

Yes, we are good to go.  Blame it on late night TV, and I got a chance to watch two sequels I forgot completely about.  As soon as I'm done editing at work, I will get it going.  2PM now, will be ready by 7 to start.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Thegun said:

That's all right, that means absolutely nothing to me. I'm guessing soccer?

And I'm sorry, but the film loses any realism the second not one but two successful handsome guys are head over heels in love with Maggie Gylennhaal. That chick is about as sexy as week old milk.

tumblr_o9iag1hyU31vuuy12o1_250.gif

50. The Godfather Part III (1990)

It may be a controversial first choice, but after all it did get a best picture nominee, so I'm not really sure where to put it.  But it was made for all the wrong reasons.  Coppola was bankrupt,  Duvall refused over the money they offered him, and rewrote Hamilton for him. Coppola did in fact say it best. It's not a sequel, it's an epilogue.  It's competently directed and overall acted decently.  It is just simply boring as shit and oh my god Sofia Coppola can direct. But she might the worst actress of all time. Garcia is awful too, as is almost everyone who seems to have lost their game. It's not a bad movie, but it simply is just awful compared to what came before. You won't hate it, but you certainly never have to see it again. HBO and AMC have done just that showing the 8 hour epic of the first two films as one.  It's not bad, but completely forgettable.

Edited by Thegun
  • Like 9

49. Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (1987)

This is once again a half hearted choice. I'm sure many would place this higher but I look at the big picture and while this film is awful I can say at least two positives for it.  At many times its better than Superman 3. 2, you still have Christopher Reeve giving his all in a film that was destined to fail.  And to be honest the cast is there as well.  They hate where they are but they will make the best of it.  The Salkinds throw their final blow selling Superman to Canon, who goes on to sell half the film to make the fantastic Master of the Universe starring Dolph Lundgren. You can't kick a franchise when it's down. 45 minutes deleted and a scene that cost a fourth a film never made it to theaters. And lets not forget breathing in space or Great Wall vision. I read Reeve's original story. Holy shit what could have been.

Edited by Thegun
  • Like 13

48. Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989)

It should go without saying how little I care about this franchise. I found 2-4 to be the defining ones and 6 is probably my favorite.  But that is not to say that they haven't made some true trash.   To be honest I watch Jason Take Manhattan every year around Halloween just because how absurd it is.  This might very well be the worst film ever made, but it at least somewhat stays within the boundaries of what was established before. Where Jason is made fun of, this is that film. It may be awful, but it at least tries. Also Best drinking game ever!

• Like 8

I don't quite agree with you about godfather III.  It's not great but it's good, imo.  The other two are bang on.  Friday 8 is certainly one of the low points of the series.  Part X is worse but not much.

• Like 1