Thegun

Thegun's 50 Worst Sequels Ever Made (#15)

40.  Big Top Pee-Wee (1988)

This trailer might be misleading, as it's better than the entire film.  The First film is as hilarious as it is weird, thanks to the emergence of Tim Burton's quirks, mixed with the man child humor of Pee-Wee Herman.  It's dark, clever, and very funny, also fueled by what would be considered the beginning of  the brilliance of composer Danny Elfman.  But I can't explain this sequel that just misses the mark on everything that works about the character. It's a real unpleasant time to watch. I won't even blame it on the lack of edge the first film  had because Pee-Wee's kid friendly shows showed that he could be both funny and filled with heart as well. But something is just very off about this film. The jokes are of poor quality. And the plot and performances just feel weak. And while Pee-Wee on a farm running a circus is arguably a better concept then him on a journey to find his stolen bike, it's stale and boring. It's the only real time that Reubens has ever missed with his 30+ year character (I'm not including this legal issues of course)

• Like 6

DMC is a bloated beached whale of a movie. There's any enjoyable 90 minutes in there somewhere, maybe.  The first is also overlong but is able to carry it.

Reloaded stinks (not just it's terrible least fun, visceral or sexy rave/orgy scene ever filmed) except for the highway chase and even that goes on too long.  It's so bad I never bothered to see Revolutions.

The Terms of Endearment sequel ... why why why did anyone think this was a good idea.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The Terms of Endearment sequel ... why why why did anyone think this was a good idea.

For the same reason someone thought writing Scarlett would be a good idea. :ph34r:

Spoiler

The author of the original book version of Tears of Endearment wrote a sequel book several years later, so..... 

• Like 1

Just now, junkshop36 said:

Dead Mans Chest is quite good. Sure, it's a little bloated compared to the first but it was still a lot of fun and that sword fight is great. 

Yeah I'll give you the sword fight but that's about it from that movie.  Well the last scene with Barbosa's reveal too 

• Like 1

The sword fights are better in COBP.  There is almost no fun in there.  Also way too much of the supernatural.  Sure the first film had a curse in there.  And it didn't quite have something as stupid as the "Attack of the 50 foot Jamaican Woman." But the whole heart thing is just stupid. And Beckett might be the most half-assed "rent a villain" any poor sequel has ever had.   Don't get me wrong  The third film is even worse, But the quality drop off from one to two was unmistakable.

Edited by Thegun
  • Like 1

• Community Manager
33 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Hilarious how the first half of the trailer is someone saying something dramatic as they put something down hard for effect. 

• Like 1

39. Airplane II: The Sequel (1982)

I actually don't mind this film that much.  It had to follow the funniest film ever made, with none of the creative team, or the brilliant discovery of Leslie Neilsen. But it is a rough film to get through. Instead we have a weirdly written rehash with about 90% of the jokes never hitting, and a space setting.  But there actually is some funny stuff in here, and this film has no right to have them. But what's left is just bad. And most of the jokes are simple variations on the first film. William Shatner does one of his few non Trek film roles, and kind of sells it at times, because only an actor with his resume could give that role some legitimacy. But this is the catalyst for why most sequels, comedy sequels especially, never work. And unlike the original, this film is really dated. I mean 14 years too old for 2001: A Space Odyssey jokes when this film came out. You can give it credit for trying, but this film's director is just not up to par.  Airplane 2 a bad comedy, an awful sequel, and rightfully belongs on here.

Best Scene: A few stupid lines do hold up like this:

"I need you to start quietly moving people into the lounge"

"We don't have a lounge"

"That's not important right now"

• Like 3

On 8/26/2016 at 5:04 PM, Thegun said:

49. Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (1987)

This is once again a half hearted choice. I'm sure many would place this higher but I look at the big picture and while this film is awful I can say at least two positives for it.  At many times its better than Superman 3. 2, you still have Christopher Reeve giving his all in a film that was destined to fail.  And to be honest the cast is there as well.  They hate where they are but they will make the best of it.  The Salkinds throw their final blow selling Superman to Canon, who goes on to sell half the film to make the fantastic Master of the Universe starring Dolph Lundgren. You can't kick a franchise when it's down. 45 minutes deleted and a scene that cost a fourth a film never made it to theaters. And lets not forget breathing in space or Great Wall vision. I read Reeve's original story. Holy shit what could have been.

Got a link to that story

Only bits and pieces over the years.  It involved Bizarro, Reeve playing both roles, died in the end, with a fifth film resurrecting him through Bizarro's corpse, but a changed appearance, resulting in a new actor to replace him midway through. The nuclear thing was still there, but fleshed out a lot better (I believe Superman couldn't stop a bomb, which forced his hand vs. the happy message in the film, and stopped others as a form of retaliation and had to "rid" the planet of them) Instead with no money they wrote in the boy who writes a letter to Superman asking him to end the Cold War.  In the end Reeve couldn't back out so he made a deal for a smaller film of his to be made in return. I believe the one with Morgan Freeman that I am blanking on right now.

Though Nuclear Man 1 (completely deleted from the film) still somewhat retained the low rent Bizarro look Reeve would have played. Hopefully the chicken clucking wouldn't have been there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thegun said:

Only bits and pieces over the years.  It involved Bizarro, Reeve playing both roles, died in the end, with a fifth film resurrecting him through Bizarro's corpse, but a changed appearance, resulting in a new actor to replace him midway through. The nuclear thing was still there, but fleshed out a lot better (I believe Superman couldn't stop a bomb, which forced his hand vs. the happy message in the film, and stopped others as a form of retaliation and had to "rid" the planet of them) Instead with no money they wrote in the boy who writes a letter to Superman asking him to end the Cold War.  In the end Reeve couldn't back out so he made a deal for a smaller film of his to be made in return. I believe the one with Morgan Freeman that I am blanking on right now.

Though Nuclear Man 1 (completely deleted from the film) still somewhat retained the low rent Bizarro look Reeve would have played. Hopefully the chicken clucking wouldn't have been there.

Sounds like it would have been a much better film.

• Like 1