Jake Gittes

Manchester By The Sea | Kenneth Lonergan | Casey Affleck, Michelle Williams | November 2016

Didn't see an actual thread for this. Not a big fan of the trailer specifically, between the generic triumphant music and the dumb aggressive "Could be in the running for an Oscar!" pull-quotes, but still very much anticipating the movie itself. Hoping for a strong writing and acting showcase if nothing else.

8 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Really surprised that this thread didn't exist yet.

Why are you surprised? This place spends most of its time talking and debating and arguing about crappy movies. 

Anyway this trailer doesn't do justice to the beauty of Kenneth Lonergan's script. 

5 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Why are you surprised? This place spends most of its time talking and debating and arguing about crappy movies. 

Anyway this trailer doesn't do justice to the beauty of Kenneth Lonergan's script. 

I am not sure if it be nominated for screenplay. Will have to wait to see how other screenplays for other Oscar movies are.  It does have a shot 

I thought the trailer was really good. 

Edited by Dexter of Suburbia
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

What else is suppose up for original screenplay this year? 

La La Land

Loving

20th Century Women

Birth of a Nation (but maybe not)

The Lobster (definitely won't win)

Zootopia

Nothing there looks as strong as an acclaimed playwright and filmmaker like Lonergan with what's supposed to be a great piece of work according to many who've seen it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

La La Land

Loving

20th Century Women

Zootopia

Nothing there looks as strong as an acclaimed playwright and filmmaker like Lonergan with what's supposed to be a great piece of work according to many who've seen it. 

I think it has a shot I do not think Birth of a Nation has a chance anymore. Plus Zootopia I do not think this should be nominated.   So I guess I am expecting a nomination. 

25 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

La La Land

Loving

20th Century Women

Zootopia

According to the people on this Forum, La La Land is the Messiah and Savior of all cinema, which we can tell by the trailers.

So if Manchester by the Sea wins for its screenplay, beating La La Land, that will reflect nicely on it.

6 minutes ago, cannastop said:

According to the people on this Forum, La La Land is the Messiah and Savior of all cinema, which we can tell by the trailers.

So if Manchester by the Sea wins for its screenplay, beating La La Land, that will reflect nicely on it.

La La Land looks fantastic to me. I just think Manchester is gonna be a showier writing showcase.

Aw this damn dude again. Hope he learned his lesson from Margaret. Hope studios learned their lesson.

But I like his work. Loved "You can count on me".  Waited forever for Margaret.  Sort of a disappointment. 

Wonder if he his final approval on the editing like he did for Margaret, lol.

47 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

La La Land looks fantastic to me. I just think Manchester is gonna be a showier writing showcase.

That, and LLL looks like it's going to have a lot of songs, musicals definitely struggle in the screenplay category.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

Aw this damn dude again. Hope he learned his lesson from Margaret. Hope studios learned their lesson.

But I like his work. Loved "You can count on me".  Waited forever for Margaret.  Sort of a disappointment. 

Wonder if he his final approval on the editing like he did for Margaret, lol.

i thought margaret was fantastic. worth the fighting he did over it.