Fullbuster

The Mandalorian | March 2023 for S3

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

No warning, as I wasn't paying attention that there was going to be one, but here is an "exclusive look" for The Mandalorian which just aired at halftime on MNF:

This looks too good! Only a few more hours now.

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

the app is live now , so watch or watch out for spoilers

Getting an error code when I try to actually watch it after logging in, so I don't think the program is actually live yet.

EDIT:::

Yeah, getting an error code on everything. So can log in and poke about, but can't watch yet.  From my web browser at least.  Maybe I'll put it on my iPad and see if anything happens there.

SECOND EDIT::

Folks on reddit are reporting it working via some apps though.  Makes me wonder if some holes weren't plugged.

Never mind.  HDCP problems on one computer.  Switched to my other one where I have an HDMI cable and...

IT IS LIVE!!!! :ohmygod:

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

So, was the big spoiler that the Holiday Special has now been canonized through this show. Actually, though this has two throwbacks to the Holiday Special. First, his spear and then the person mentioning Life Day.

LIfe Day has been canon for quite a while now, FWIW.  That doesn't make what happened in the actual Holiday Special canon though. 

Checking out for real now.

• Like 1

While I'm waiting for my pre-load of Fallen Order to finish (7min and counting)...

It's not universal praise, as some folks didn't like it at all (see a reply to Peter Sciretta), but that was never gonna happen.  And others comment about a slow start (which I also personally expected, FWIW).

And I'm not going to trawl through all of the blue checkmarks for reactions, as I'm already dodging spoilers.

But initial impression from a LOT of them is very very very positive. 👍

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CloneWars said:

So, was the big spoiler that the Holiday Special has now been canonized through this show. Actually, though this has two throwbacks to the Holiday Special. First, his spear and then the person mentioning Life Day.

That....

That was not the spoiler.

Big enough that I think....

Yeah.

• Like 1

Anyway, even setting THAT aside, this was a very good episode.

I have spoken.

=====

Not sure I agree with some of the comments about it being slow paced or light on plot.  Is definitely leisurely though.  

Absolutely not where I thought it was going as there was already one major surprise in it, not even counting what the NYT was referring to.

Gonna want to chew on this and I am very very glad there's another episode in a couple of days.

Thinking there is more than one group after the McGuffin here, given that one person wanted them dead and the other very much not so.

Not sure I can grade it.  But it absolutely does what a pilot is supposed to do:  Hook you into the show and make you wonder what is coming next. And this delivers this in spades.

• Like 6

That was more fun than I expected it to be. I hate the grey look to the non-sequel trilogy stuff though. Like I love the production design and all but the grey-ness is just kind of ugly.

I'm probably going to watch the rest of the season through Disney plus (rather than the less legal way I had to take to watch this episode) because it seems to have way more content than I thought. Hope VPN stuff works because I really don't want to pirate more stuff.

So I think I had something of an epiphany  just now about the possibly already emerging divide on the quality of The Mandalorian.  While it does seem the majority of people like it/love it, there do seem to be some detractors out there.  Or at least people voicing critiques.

The temptation is going to be to say that it's very fan-driven and centric, but I don't think that's exactly it.  And it's a lazy critique, anyway.

No, I think the better description is: Minimalist.

For all of the obvious money poured into this show (and it shows, by the way), this is a VERY tightly told first episode.  It's not a sprawling epic like Game of Thrones and it's not a series with loads of characters like Westworld

In many ways, it reminds me of the Spaghetti Westerns of days gone by.  Stoic and something of an enigma main character surrounded by larger than life supporting characters.  Even the action scenes reminded me of the shootouts of this style of Western.

People were joking that this might as well have been called The Man(dalorian) With No Name before, but damn if it doesn't fit.  Star Wars by way of Sergio Leone might be my single best way of putting it.

===

Now this is just some reflections and plenty of time for things to shift.  But it seems to me this might very well be a slow burn of a series with its story actually told over eight episodes.  Curious to see just how it ends up being received by more casual folks.   Not even talking about the folks who have no to little interest in Star Wars, but more the casual types who don't obsess over every little detail.

My one personal complain is the length.  I would have preferred it to be longer, but I absolutely see why it stopped where it did.  And I do suppose the one great strength of streaming is that one isn't wedded to a specific length.  Though I do find it suspicious that it is almost a perfect length for 1 hour TV on cable.  If even a little short there.  Makes me wonder if this is going to stay streaming-exclusive forever or if it might wind up on multichannel one day.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4