Fullbuster

The Mandalorian | March 2023 for S3

13 minutes ago, Menor said:

At the very least, meeting Sabine and Bo-Katan will finally give us the answer as to why the helmet rule is a thing in this show.

*chuckles under breath*

What?  Sorry.  Just my latent cynicism gene kicking in. Just ignore me. ;)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

*chuckles under breath*

What?  Sorry.  Just my latent cynicism gene kicking in. Just ignore me. ;)

You really think it won't be addressed? I could see them sweeping it under the rug if we didn't meet other Mandalorians, but I don't think Filoni would have overlooked something obvious like that. I'm sure he has come up with a reason, and it would seem natural to explain it given that we're meeting Mandalorians who never had an issue taking off their helmets. Especially since the show seems interested in exploring the Empire's effect on Mandalorian culture (with the namedrops about the Great Purge and Night of a Thousand Tears).

Edited by Menor

27 minutes ago, Menor said:

You really think it won't be addressed?

Honestly?  

I think there's at least a 25 to 33 percent chance it never gets brought up in the context of the show.  Including having Bo-Katan and Sabine (if either show up in the present day) being Full Metal Jacket Helmet in their appearances.

I could see them sweeping it under the rug if we didn't meet other Mandalorians, but I don't think Filoni would have overlooked something obvious like that. I'm sure he has come up with a reason,

Oh, I'm sure he and/or others has/have.

But thing which might stay his hand is how many people watching the show actually know about TCW/Rebels versus the audience watching Mandalorian.

How much does it advance the story to address this?  How much does it add aside from ticking off a box?  Does the story that he/Favreau want to tell at the moment  come to a screeching halt if this gets addressed in any way shape or form?  It's all fine and well that we can come up with a story that makes it something other than fan service... But is it the story that Favreau and Filoni currently want to tell?

Now don't get me wrong, Filoni isn't adverse to fan service. Not in the slightest. But he does seem to be against box ticking for box ticking sakes.

and it would seem natural to explain it given that we're meeting Mandalorians who never had an issue taking off their helmets. Especially since the show seems interested in exploring the Empire's effect on Mandalorian culture (with the namedrops about the Great Purge and Night of a Thousand Tears).

If they want to tell that story, yes.  On the other hand, if they want to talk about the backstory of Gideon and how/why Din Djarin is important on his own, then taking time to talk about that might not happen.

Now, don't get me wrong.  67 percent to 75 percent isn't 0 percent.  Means it's much  more likely than not.

But it's also possible that it's nothing more than a throwaway line like "I was never part of your crazy cult, Djarin."  And then let the fans debate why so many folks on the Outer Rim (at least this area of it) think no Mandos take off their helmets.

• Like 1

Mando is going to have more face time for sure so if meeting Bo katan exposes Blacksmith's doctine as BS the better. 

As for Sabine, she is specifically imagined as East Asian and in her 20s so that Tiya doesn't fit the bill. Did she voice the character? They don't always cast voice actor and they don't always base the character appearance on the voice actor. I think they did it with Sackoff/Bo Katan because she is known to TCW target audience from BSG. 

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Mando is going to have more face time for sure so if meeting Bo katan exposes Blacksmith's doctine as BS the better. 

As for Sabine, she is specifically imagined as East Asian and in her 20s so that Tiya doesn't fit the bill. Did she voice the character? They don't always cast voice actor and they don't always base the character appearance on the voice actor. I think they did it with Sackoff/Bo Katan because she is known to TCW target audience from BSG. 

Yes Tiya voiced Sabine.

Obviously some TCW/Rebels actors won't ever jump to live action for their characters, the most obvious example being David Oyelowo and Agent Kallus.

Lol at the Pedro Pascal injury story.

I mean, not funny that he got injured, but the irony that it was walking out of a makeup trailer (covered in fake blood BTW) and running into a piece of plywood that got him injured and not all of the dangerous situations he described he'd been in.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

The one time I remember to watch a Gallery episode late at night (and not some time on Fri) and of course Disney Plus is acting up and not showing it locally.

Typical. j1aUlyv.gif

EDIT:::

Figured bitchin' about it here might do the trick.

Consider it the 21st cent version of kicking the TV set to get it to work. :lol: 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

That was a mighty fine episode.  Could have easily watched another 30 min or so just on the tech side and the reactions to it.

30 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

The Volume is amazing, even more amazing is that George Lucas predicted it years earlier. 

One of the things that George Lucas was always trying to do with SW films was push technology forward.  I get the sense that one of the things he was slightly disappointed about the ST was there really wasn't quite as much pushing of the envelope when it came to new ways of filmmaking as there could have been.

I think that's one reason he really loved Rogue One, with its digital Tarkin (and Leia).  He just wants to keep pushing the craft side of the movie making experience. 

And with how revolutionary, and I don't say that lightly, the Volume is, one can see just how pleased Lucas would be with that.  In many ways it's kinda like the OG SW where it would take a bunch of things lying around and fuse them into something new, if only because of necessity.

• Like 4

Soooo... How sad is it that I'd kinda like to see these pre-viz cuts of these episodes? :ph34r: You know, just as a compare/contrast?  Coz, gotta tell you, some of those pre-viz look pretty good.

(and, yes, I can see why have Filoni on board would help with that process)

• Like 1

Just watching the ATX panel and Favreau says season 2 will be a viable in October as planned, he sounded very definitive so at least there is one thing that isn’t being delayed. Post production was able to be done remotely due to ILM and Lucasfilm being so forward looking. 

• Like 2

With the BTS of the show over (great last two episodes, BTW), it's now time to roll out Con Season, COVID-19 style.

The first of many such online panels, I'm sure.

Some overlap with the BTS docs, but also some new stuff there.  Worth watching regardless, I think.

• Like 4