Fullbuster

The Mandalorian | March 2023 for S3

27 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Any takers that Moff Gideon gets offed in the first episode of this season? :ph34r: Kinda think he's too out in front on the interview circuit.

Place it almost at 50/50 odds right now, tbh.  Maybe even 1:2 if I'm feeling lucky.

You really think so? I’d be really surprised, especially given Giancarlo Esposito’s teasing about season 3 and 4. Doesn’t mean he’ll survive this season, I’d give it 50/50 odds for the last 2 episodes of the season, but sounds like he’s more integral to the plot than just one episode.

Plus, I don’t think Disney wants more complaints about wasting characters/actors...

21 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

You really think so? I’d be really surprised, especially given Giancarlo Esposito’s teasing about season 3 and 4. Doesn’t mean he’ll survive this season, I’d give it 50/50 odds for the last 2 episodes of the season, but sounds like he’s more integral to the plot than just one episode.

Plus, I don’t think Disney wants more complaints about wasting characters/actors...

Series was shooting before Mando S1 aired, for the record.  Started last Oct, if I recall correctly.  So even if the complaints about Ming-Na Wen were considered*, train had already left the station by then.

* Mind, I strongly suspect she shows up at some point this season, making some of the comments moot.

Dunno.  Just... a feeling.  But maybe you're right.  Maybe he will survive the opener.

And get offed in episode two of this season. :ph34r:

===

A tad more seriously I'm not completely sure where Moff Gideon places in this series.  Does he take the place of Werner Herzog's character as the shadowy threat in the background?  Maybe.  But given how episodic S1 was at times (before having threads be pulled in the back half of the season), I'm a little hesitant to commit to seeing a Big Bad lurking in the background.

But, maybe!  Could tie into Bo-Katan showing up at some point in the season.  Does seem to be a logical arc branch there, I suppose.

One interesting note is this is styled as "Chapter Nine", so he might be around for a bit after all. 

I suppose I am mostly just saying it wouldn't surprise me at all for him to get offed much sooner than some fans are expecting.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Porthos said:

*starts watching YouTube reaction vids of the last scene of last season*

Aw Yiss, that gets me in the mood. 👍

Any takers that Moff Gideon gets offed in the first episode of this season? :ph34r: Kinda think he's too out in front on the interview circuit.

Place it almost at 50/50 odds right now, tbh.  Maybe even 1:2 if I'm feeling lucky.

About the same odds as successfully navigating an asteroid field

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Series was shooting before Mando S1 aired, for the record.  Started last Oct, if I recall correctly.  So even if the complaints about Ming-Na Wen were considered*, train had already left the station by then.

I was actually thinking of the complaints about Phasma/Gwendoline Christie and Hux. I kinda forgot about that one :lol:

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

A tad more seriously I'm not completely sure where Moff Gideon places in this series.  Does he take the place of Werner Herzog's character as the shadowy threat in the background?  Maybe.  But given how episodic S1 was at times (before having threads be pulled in the back half of the season), I'm a little hesitant to commit to seeing a Big Bad lurking in the background.

But, maybe!  Could tie into Bo-Katan showing up at some point in the season.  Does seem to be a logical arc branch there, I suppose.

Honestly I’m not too sure either. I think the problem is we haven’t had any screentime away from Mando. He is very involved in everything in season 1. There needs to be screentime with Moff Gideon where Mando isn’t directly involved for us to really get a feel of where they’re going with him.

Edited by Inceptionzq
  • Like 1

Got to admit, I'm not even sure what a "virtual red carpet" even means, but presumably some sort of set of interviews and mini-features.

BTW:

6pm PDT =

8pm CDT

9pm EDT

1am GMT

2am CET

4am MSK

6:30am IST

9am CST (China)

10am JST

Noon AEDT

2pm NZDT

That should be most of the major time zones for folks on this board.  If not, figure it out yourself. ;)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4

About half way through the episode, and I gotta say, I am really appreciating the dry humor laced throughout the episode.

Spoiler

No pun intended. :ph34r:

"There's no such thing as an empty sarlacc pit"

"There is if you eat the sarlacc"

*BIG GULP*

"They might be open to some fresh ideas"

"Where are they getting the reinforcements?"

"I volunteered your village"

Fine balance to strike but think it's being struck perfectly.  SW is just that much better when it's funny SW.

(Really, I think people forget how funny the first SW film was at times)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 7

Non spoilery thoughts:

Good solid episode. Took a tiny bit of time to get into the swing of things but as soon as they got to (SPOILER DELETED) the episode found its groove.

Good pacing.  Great humor as I said.  Solid tie-in to pre-established storytelling.

Also, as I think about it, fantastic chemistry between Pedro Pascal and the main guest star.  Episode could have fallen very flat if it hadn't.  

Some nice homages to Westerns of Old and good ol' fashioned moralizing (in a good way).  Even subtle at times.

Not sure I would grade it except to say can't wait to see just where this is going.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Boba Fett already trending on Twitter.

Edited by Porthos
Deleted silly joke after thoughts
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Holy shit

Hide contents

Boba Fett is alive  

Spoiler

Only quibble/question I wonder about it:  How many folks actually will recognize him?

I figure most folks will just go "Mysterious character?  Probably important later."

The ones who like to add 2 + 2 will probably  go: "Hmmmm.  Kept seeing Boba Fett's armor and it was a plot point that it was found by Jawas, I wonder..."

Others will probably just vent on Twitter/Social media about not being explicitly told. Whatever. :lol: 

Slightly separate thoughts, still spoily though:

Spoiler

Math more or less checks out.  Boba Fett would be around 41 or 42 years old by this point (did the math from Wookiepedia).  Temuera Morrison is 59, and doesn't really look it.  Good ol' standby of "hard living" also works if people care.

Good thing is, shouldn't be too hard to age him up if the rumors about 

Spoiler

Rex showing up

are true.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Inceptionzq said:
  Hide contents

Cobb Vanth :ohmygod:

Spoiler

Same.  100% the same.

Not even that familiar with the character, as I never read the Aftermath novels.  But I gotta tell you, Timothy Olyphant kicked the hell out of this role, as we all knew he would.

Glad to see that he's coming back at some point (they all but guaranteed it) and I while I DO  want New Eras and New Places, I'm also completely fannish enough to want a TON more of this character simply based on this one episode.

Fans.  We're so contradictorily unreasonable at times. :hahaha: 

• Like 2