Fullbuster

The Mandalorian | March 2023 for S3

Not being religious, I didn't pick up on this until it was pointed out on social media, but...

(technically a spoiler, but so minor so... eh)

"May The Force Be With You."

"And Also With You."

======

As I understand it, it has been a looooong standing joke among SW fans who are of various Christian faiths that they have had to suppress the urge to reply with "And Also With You" whenever someone says MTFBWY to them.

Well, now they no longer have to repress that urge. ;)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

One other bit about this weeks episode I was just reminded about elsewhere in regards to the actions of Baby Yoda:

Spoiler

tenor.gif?resize=640,318&ssl=1

It's not like we weren't warned about his fondness for frogs. :ph34r:

(more a commentary on how some young children would put anything in their mouths, IMO)

===

On a slightly more serious note, if some folks here and elsewhere feel uncomfortable with the actions of Baby Yoda, I think both Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni would be pleased.  Seems like it's something intentional:

“I was worried about what we called ‘Bleep Syndrome,’” said Favreau, referencing a sickly sweet animated sidekick from the 1970s Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space. Bleep Syndrome was Favreau’s watchword against concept designs and merchandising plans that sought to round off the quirks of a creature he wanted to keep a little weird and off-putting.

“We wanted to make sure the Child wasn’t just going to be a comic relief,” explained Favreau—another attempt to honor Lucas’s approach to that galaxy far, far away: “What George had established with Star Wars was that no matter how fantastical these characters are, how weird they looked, the characters within the world always treated them as normal citizens of the world.” Lucas had a knack, Favreau said, for making characters like R2-D2 “just cute enough” that every Star Wars fan might believe they were the only one who found a “trashcan with one eye on it” cute.

But avoiding the cutesy trap was something of an uphill battle for Favreau, who found that the classic “Disney proportions”—think big round eyes and cuddly features—kept being applied to a character he wanted to keep as weird as possible. “All the drawings originally were very cute,” Favreau recalled. “Even with the merchandising, they were always trying to soften the rough edges on him. We really tried to look at how much we could ugly up all the different individual features.” Favreau and Filoni insisted the Child have “weird little hairs growing out of him.” They rejected designs that attempted to pink up his little cheeks, or make his teeth cuter. They opted, instead to make the teeth jagged and sharp—all the better to suck down a living frog.

More at this link.

So, yes, this particular instance may or may not have been an attempt at comic relief.  At the same time it does kinda reinforce my thought that this is being intentionally done as a piece of The Child's characterization and this impulsive behavior is gonna come back to bite him in the ass one day.

Maybe not this season.  But then again, maybe this one.

In short?  Feel a little uneasy at the actions of The Child?  Maybe you're supposed to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

I feel like the people complaining that not much plot advancement is happening are kind of missing the point of this show. It’s a “random adventure of the week” show, that’s how it was in season 1 and it continues to be that in season 2. The reuniting Baby Yoda with his people stuff is just an excuse to have these adventures, it’ll pan out eventually and no doubt the last couple of episodes of the season will focus on it more as they tie it together, but it’s not the focus. Expect a grand labyrinthine plot and you’ll be disappointed, it’s not that kind of show.

I’ve really enjoyed these latest two episodes, chapter 9 was admittedly stronger, but I still really liked chapter 10. It’s just a fun, easy to watch slice of weekly Star Wars.

I feel like the problem is that it's trying to both tell a larger story and be an adventure of the week show, and it just feels half-baked because it's trying to be both things. I think it would be better if they did more complex adventures than what we've mostly gotten so far. 

Edited by lorddemaxus

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:
  Reveal hidden contents

That whole sequence was hype, the discussion afterwards literal chills 

Spoiler

Live action Mandalore c’mon now. 

• Like 2

Spoiler

I was slightly worried that Bo Katan would only be flashbacks so awesome to see her (looking good as ever) in setting up what is probably the main story of the entire show. 

It'll be funny to see the reactions between TCW/Rebels fans and Mando only fans as Mando only fans probably have the same opinion of Bo Katan that Mando did at first.

This makes me more confident in Ahsoka's appearance.

Obligatory watch The Clone Wars and Rebels comment here as well.

• Like 1

Well-paced episode that managed to fit a lot in just over a half hour.

Also BDH's visual eye/directing improved from season 1. She was probably a lot more comfortable with the tech/style/etc this time around

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 5