Fullbuster

The Mandalorian | March 2023 for S3

9 hours ago, Porthos said:

A "bridge" episode, but a damn good one.

NEXT WEEK [all but certain]:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Maybe at the end of 4, but I’m guessing we’ll have to wait until episode 5 which is written and directed by Dave Filoni.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Fantastic casting of the smaller roles continues. 

Yes, I thought Titus Welliver in particular stood out.  But most of the actors in supporting/small roles did well as well.

5 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Also BDH's visual eye/directing improved from season 1. She was probably a lot more comfortable with the tech/style/etc this time around

I noticed that as well.  In particular the 

Spoiler

two imperial pilots showed their fear and apprehension particularly well.  Especially in the background as the camera closed on on Welliver when he was getting his orders to scuttle the ship.

Fine, balanced episode.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:
  Hide contents

Maybe at the end of 4, but I’m guessing we’ll have to wait until episode 5 which is written and directed by Dave Filoni.

Spoiler

YAGpXPd.png?fb

Dammit, you're right.  Didn't even think to check that.  100% the case there.  Probably will get a "wham shot" at the end then.

THAT COUNTS YOU KNOW!!!! j1aUlyv.gif

• Like 2

Must say, I find it a bit amusing the timing of the episodes here.

Things could have been a bit different if 

Spoiler

he ran across Bo-Katan and the Nite Owls first and THEN ran across Cobb Vanth.

Wonder if he would have automatically presumed the Mandalorian armor really wasn't Vanth's.

Maybe he would have, actually, after commenting on how ill-fitting it looked. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Can't believe I missed this homage:

Spoiler

The water dripping did peg me on an "oh, interesting" angle but I'm now kicking myself for not picking up the obvious, and confirmed, homage.

There was a slightly more subtle and in-series resonance as well:

Spoiler

What's great about both is that they felt perfectly natural to me and didn't feel like it was slamming me over the head with "LOOK, REFERENCE!  AREN'T I CLEVER!!!"  but instead just flowed naturally.

A sign of Bryce Dallas Howard's maturing as a director, IMO.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Can't believe I missed this homage:

Reveal hidden contents

There was a slightly more subtle and in-series resonance as well:

Reveal hidden contents

What's great about both is that they felt perfectly natural to me and didn't feel like it was slamming me over the head with "LOOK, REFERENCE!  AREN'T I CLEVER!!!"  but instead just flowed naturally.

I mean, I have no clue how you'd slam the audience over the head with references like that unless the character literally breaks the 4th wall and says what they're references to.

44 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I mean, I have no clue how you'd slam the audience over the head with references like that unless the character literally breaks the 4th wall and says what they're references to.

I'm just sayin' that some references are a lot more in-your-face than others, is all.  

To put it another way, I didn't notice they were homages/callbacks and they naturally flowed as part of the scenes.  Thus they worked.  For me at least.

• Like 3

The show is doing a great job of not overdoing the references and keeping them not "subtle" but just, not paid attention to.

Like in episode 2 he's in a cantina, presumably 'the' Mos Eisley Cantina, but no attention is paid to it. It's just kind of there, for a couple of minutes, and then they move on.

It's not in-your-face at all.

The three episodes have all been great. But I do feel uneasy about Ahsoka being in here, I don't really see why, it feels like pandering to the fans. But I haven't watched Rebels, and I'm assuming she was brought back in that, and therefore she now *is* an important character in the original trilogy timeline, since she is the only other known Jedi remaining.

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

I'm just sayin' that some references are a lot more in-your-face than others, is all.  

To put it another way, I didn't notice they were homages/callbacks and they naturally flowed as part of the scenes.  Thus they worked.  For me at least.

In this case, I think it's really just the images it's referencing isn't iconic. I'm not even sure if that second one is a reference. That's just normally how filmmakers show that a person is given a hand above to be lifted up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Man, I'm trying to stay as far away as I can from this topic (even I have my limits), but I have to say I almost feel sorry for Gina Carano.

Don't get me wrong, she's a grown-ass adult and is capable of making her own choices.  But at the same time, propaganda fucking works (and don't tell me it doesn't) as does polarization.  Fall in with the wrong crowd and let hyper-culture wars do their "magic" and lots of bad shit can happen.

And before anyone chimes in, I know at least part of my reaction is privilege and primed-to-be-sympathetic to folks like her leaking in.  And, again, of course I have no idea what the "real" Gina Carano was like.  But she did seem to be a mostly compassionate person who cared for others and wasn't in the orbit of the alt-right "very fine fellows".  So on one level I do find it sad that she's fallen in with a really shitty crowd and that it's warping her views pretty badly.

I have no idea if she is gonna get recast/fired. Been intentionally ignoring the side of the gossip.  If she is, she has no one to blame but herself.  But that doesn't stop me from finding the situation sad.  Or tragic.  Yeah, I think that's a better word.  "Tragic".

*starts to type more*

*reflects*

No, I think that just about covers it.  No one to blame but herself, but still find the situation sad/tragic.  Think that covers my current headspace.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Firing Gina Carano over her politics would be a very bad idea, and I say that as someone who despises far-right Trump supporters. 

Agreed, I may not agree with what she’s currently liking on social media, but she’s entitled to her political opinions. The way certain sections of the internet are reacting, you’d think she’d gone full James Woods.

Edited by SnokesLegs

Carano is now a poster on Parler, a site notorious for hosting neo-Nazis and white supremacists who got kicked off Twitter. This isn't just a case of political difference anymore or just her being conservative. Get rid of her character. Have her die on the way back to her home planet for all I care.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Eric Karga said:

Carano is now a poster on Parler, a site notorious for hosting neo-Nazis and white supremacists who got kicked off Twitter.

I've said my piece on this and I'm not going to really continue in the weeds on this.  However, seeing her RT/Quote Jack Posobiec and then later join up with Parler (which in fact I did already know about)?

Well, let's just say it informed my internal thinking on the matter in the post I made above and leave it at that.

==

I have no idea if she's gonna be around for Season 3.  Considering it hasn't started shooting yet, I suspect we won't know for a while. 

I will note, however, that Deadline quashed the rumor of a Cara Dune/Bo-Katan series a week or so back as a side comment as part of a larger piece, and I have to think Carano is not doing herself many favors with the higher ups at Disney/Lucasfilm right now.

Yes.  "Not doing herself many favors" is exactly how I think I would put it.

Whether that extends to more of The Mandalorian, we'll just have to see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Karga said:

Carano is now a poster on Parler, a site notorious for hosting neo-Nazis and white supremacists who got kicked off Twitter. This isn't just a case of political difference anymore or just her being conservative. Get rid of her character. Have her die on the way back to her home planet for all I care.

Fair enough, I didn’t know about the Parler thing, that’s...not good.

Honestly, it’s not like she’s particularly central to the story and side characters come and go fairly quickly on this show, so she wouldn’t exactly be missed if they decided not to bring her back. They wouldn’t even have to write her out, we just wouldn’t see her again.

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 1