Fullbuster

The Mandalorian | March 2023 for S3

3 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

With the way things are going, I wonder if by the end of this season, or in season 3, we get a hint of live action Thrawn as a force behind Gideon.

Cause creepy Lars Mikkelsen yes please.

I would be pretty surprised. At this point, I would wager that there has been/is a Chiss Civil War and/or the Grysk have invaded. The Chiss’ needs would likely be urgent at this point and I don’t think he could waste his time trying to rebuild the Empire. Thrawn’s story just isn’t suited to mesh with The Mandalorian in any way imo.

4 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

I would be pretty surprised. At this point, I would wager that there has been/is a Chiss Civil War and/or the Grysk have invaded. The Chiss’ needs would likely be urgent at this point and I don’t think he could waste his time trying to rebuild the Empire. Thrawn’s story just isn’t suited to mesh with The Mandalorian in any way imo.

Yeah best save that for a Rebels sequel 

Alright, think it's safe to talk about shit outside of spoiler bars.  Haven't caught up by now, it's your own darn fault.

I am curious to see how the structure of this season is gonna play out and how much of it is wrapped up this season.  

Bo-Katan wants her Darksaber back.  She knows that Moff Gideon has it.

Ahsoka Tano is entering the picture (prob ep 5 which is Filoni's, but maybe still as a stinger cameo at the end of Ep 4) and doing... god knows what.

There was some speculation that Ahsoka would duel against Gideon, but unless Moff Gideon is a Force User of some sort (which he could be, we just don't know!), one would think Ahsoka would wipe the floor with him, even if he had a ton of tricks up his sleeve.  Guile and toys will get one far against a Jedi (as seen in numerous Clone Wars episodes), but sooner or later someone on a (near-)Master level like Ahsoka Tano should prevail.

More to the point, this is called The Mandalorian.  If there is gonna be a climatic battle, I can't see Ahsoka upstaging our resident hero.

But that also cuts across Bo-Katan dueling him.  She might be more on his level, and there is plenty of Mando on lightsaber history to draw on, so it's not like she needs an equivalent weapon.  Still, get to the problem that this is The Mandalorian and not The Bo-Katan Power Hour.

Which.... kinda makes me wonder if Bo-Katan tries to get the Darksaber back from Gideon... and fails.  Leaving it up to Mando to do it.

On the third hand, there are rumors out there of varying quality (ie not much) about a Bo-Katan series of some sort.  Offing her here would seem to put a crimp in that (though failing doesn't necessarily mean death of course).  Plus the backlash to killing a beloved character.

Yet...

Well that's the thing I guess.  I have no real idea where this is all going. Lots and lots and lots of avenues it could go.  And this doesn't even cover Boba Fett popping up.  Only thing I am relatively certain of is that this is Din Djarin's story and not anyone else's.  If there is a resolution on the Bo-Katan/Moff Gideon storyline it'll also advance Mando's storyline.  Same goes for Ahsoka Tano.  

Curious to see where this heads off as I have no real idea.  Or rather no real idea while this is centered around Captain Beskar.

• Like 2

Just now, Porthos said:

Well that's the thing I guess.  I have no real idea where this is all going. Lots and lots and lots of avenues it could go.  And this doesn't even cover Boba Fett popping up.  Only thing I am relatively certain of is that this is Din Djarin's story and not anyone else's.  If there is a resolution on the Bo-Katan/Moff Gideon storyline it'll also advance Mando's storyline.  Same goes for Ahsoka Tano. 

As something of an aside to this, I am in the middle of a re-watch of Season One (still holds up, BTW 👍) and I was reminded that we still have the outstanding question of who just was the Mystery Character at the end of Chapter 5: The Gunslinger that visited Ming-Na Wen's character, Fennec Shand.  Was it Boba Fett?  Was it Moff Gideon in an early bird cameo (that was a popular theory off board)?  Someone else?

Even if Fennec Shand is dead (and I wouldn't place any money on that given the genre conventions that SW loves to follow), get the sense that why the Mystery Character was there will be brought up, even if in passing.

And if Fennec Shand is still alive, how does she tie into the series going forward?

*thinks*

Let's say that was Boba Fett.  Maybe she gets hired by him (after she recuperates) to take down The Mando get back his armor or whatever and after some sort of high stakes battle, she's the tie back to Boba Fett for the storyline.

I have been kinda wondering how Boba Fett even ties into this story outside of the armor (which admittedly isn't nothing [though why he never took it back from Cobb Vanth is another open question]).  Using Shand as some sort of agent makes a decent amount of sense, and could still go multiple directions (including betrayal).

But this just gets back to: Is this addressed in this season or a future one?  We got five episodes left this season and I'm not entirely clear where it's all gonna go (as I said in my last post).

And if it was Moff Gideon in that scene?  Well, the logical answer for future plot presence is he is hiring her, in a similar way I mentioned before.  But then that forces me to ask: What the hell was he doing there in the first place?  Have a hard time putting him there all alone, silently tracking Mando's handiwork.  Doesn't seem to fit the plot direction we saw at the end of Season One.

Which I suppose does make me think it was Boba Fett after all.

So curious to see as well how they handle the Fennec Shand side of things, even if only to confirm she is indeed dead.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

Alright, think it's safe to talk about shit outside of spoiler bars.  Haven't caught up by now, it's your own darn fault.

I am curious to see how the structure of this season is gonna play out and how much of it is wrapped up this season.  

Ahsoka Tano is entering the picture (prob ep 5 which is Filoni's, but maybe still as a stinger cameo at the end of Ep 4) and doing... god knows what.

There was some speculation that Ahsoka would duel against Gideon, but unless Moff Gideon is a Force User of some sort (which he could be, we just don't know!), one would think Ahsoka would wipe the floor with him, even if he had a ton of tricks up his sleeve.  Guile and toys will get one far against a Jedi (as seen in numerous Clone Wars episodes), but sooner or later someone on a (near-)Master level like Ahsoka Tano should prevail.

More to the point, this is called The Mandalorian.  If there is gonna be a climatic battle, I can't see Ahsoka upstaging our resident hero.

But that also cuts across Bo-Katan dueling him.  She might be more on his level, and there is plenty of Mando on lightsaber history to draw on, so it's not like she needs an equivalent weapon.  Still, get to the problem that this is The Mandalorian and not The Bo-Katan Power Hour.

Which.... kinda makes me wonder if Bo-Katan tries to get the Darksaber back from Gideon... and fails.  Leaving it up to Mando to do it.

On the third hand, there are rumors out there of varying quality (ie not much) about a Bo-Katan series of some sort.  Offing her here would seem to put a crimp in that (though failing doesn't necessarily mean death of course).  Plus the backlash to killing a beloved character.

Yet...

Curious to see where this heads off as I have no real idea.  Or rather no real idea while this is centered around Captain Beskar.

I mean I reject the notion that someone other than Mando taking out Gideon takes away from Mando's story. A lot of people want their pound of flesh from Gideon.

Mando's story is about the Child. Gideon is an obstacle on the story, but he's clearly a more central antagonist to the Mandalorians as a whole (because I'm convinced Gideon is merely answering to someone else when it comes to The Child).

Edited by 4815162342

7 hours ago, Porthos said:

I was reminded that we still have the outstanding question of who just was the Mystery Character at the end of Chapter 5: The Gunslinger that visited Ming-Na Wen's character, Fennec Shand.  Was it Boba Fett

Well if we go purely based off the spurs sound effect, it could only be Cobb Vanth or Boba Fett. Before this season I would’ve said Cobb, but that wouldn’t really make sense now. So I’d say Boba.

6 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

I mean I reject the notion that someone other than Mando taking out Gideon takes away from Mando's story. A lot of people want their pound of flesh from Gideon.

I suppose, but Mando should still need to be central to how he's taken out, IMO.  Still, point taken, but consider my post something of musing aloud of the possibilities might play out.

I guess what I was really trying to say is that this show isn't like GoT or other similar shows with multiple viewpoint/central characters where one might expect someone else in taking the lead in shaping the overall narrative.  Even with the EU characters suddenly pouring in, this is still mainly a story about Mando and The Child's adventures.  So far at least.

We'll see if this changes at all and we get episodes which aren't as Mando-centric going forward.  Heard a rumor that the very next episode might not be as Mando-centric, but I have no idea if that's actually based in any sort of reality or just normal internet gossiping. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Porthos said:

Pretty sure Ahsoka's appearance will be a one-episode thing. No way she sticks around longer than that, and I think it would detract from the show to have someone that powerful around long-term. I think Ahsoka might direct Din to the Yoda planet (if the rumors that we'll eventually see it in the show are true).

1 hour ago, Inceptionzq said:

Well if we go purely based off the spurs sound effect, it could only be Cobb Vanth or Boba Fett. Before this season I would’ve said Cobb, but that wouldn’t really make sense now. So I’d say Boba.

The thing is, Boba doesn't have spurs anymore, does he? Unless I missed something in his appearance. So I don't think it can be Boba. 

4 minutes ago, Menor said:

The thing is, Boba doesn't have spurs anymore, does he? Unless I missed something in his appearance. So I don't think it can be Boba.

I’m fairly certain that the same spurs sound effect plays with his appearance this season, it’s just not as loud.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

I’m fairly certain that the same spurs sound effect plays with his appearance this season, it’s just not as loud.

Got to admit, I find the idea that he still has his spurs but not his armor to be ever-so-slightly amusing.

I'm sure a reason can be crafted, but that still doesn't stop me from commenting on the situation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

Got to admit, I find the idea that he still has his spurs but not his armor to be ever-so-slightly amusing.

I'm sure a reason can be crafted, but that still doesn't stop me from commenting on the situation.

Honestly the sounds might mean nothing because we also hear it with Cobb. Either they’re throwing that sound effect just because, or he got new spurs that are similar

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Inceptionzq said:

Honestly the sounds might mean nothing because we also hear it with Cobb. Either they’re throwing that sound effect just because, or he got new spurs that are similar

Cards on the table?  I just want Fennec back and I don't particularly care who is the avenue for her return. 👍

• Like 3