Fullbuster

The Mandalorian | March 2023 for S3

12 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

Interesting.  Some of the spec there I've heard elsewhere as spec so little of that is way out of bounds.

It would be REALLY ballsy of LFL to pull in Luke Skywalker as a character even if it is somewhat logical for Ahsoka to point in his direction.

What is Sebastian Stan up to nowadays? YiBe40t.png 

*shakes head*

Anyway, not something I would bet on, personally.  Gut instinct says LFL isn't that ballsy.  Even with Filoni as part of the crew.

The Armorer turning out to be a villain/antagonist?  Oh yes.  I'll plop some creds down on that theory.  Something about her character has always, I don't want to say "rubbed me the wrong way", but instead I'll say "seemed a little... off".  Turning out to be a possible cult leader (should Bo-Katan's opinion not be biased slander) does set up an intriguing possible showdown if Mando gets disenchanted with his fellow clan.  Have to go through a few more steps though to get to that point.

The one thing I might disagree on with Jordan is that I wonder if Moff Gideon is more connected to the First Order than he is letting on.  That he is still sweating fealty to the Empire might make it seem like he isn't in with the FO, but maybe they are still considering themselves the Empire as well at this stage.

Still, good room for thought there.  Be interesting to see how much, if any, of that road is actually traversed.

• Like 2

The one critical thing I think I would say about Jordan Maison's spec as well as about the same level of spec I saw over at Kessel Run Transmissions is that I think some of the expectations might be getting a little too big and folks might be setting themselves up for disappointment if the show is kept relatively small scale in scope.

The potential for the show to "go big" is certainly there.  But, I dunno. 

Don't get me wrong, I could see it pulling the Rebels playbook in start small and ratchet up the scope of the tale 'till it reaches more mythic story levels.  At the same time the show might content itself with "just" telling the tale of Mandalorian society picking itself back up and reasserting itself on the galactic stage.

Which certainly isn't small (say Mando and The Child adventures), but still isn't quite LUKE SKYWALKER level big.

Guess I am mostly saying I hope some folks aren't hyping themselves up too much, only to feel a little disappointed if the show doesn't go as "big" as they might hope.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

Ngl, I just realized I might lose it a little if I hear the opening section of Ahsoka's Theme anywhere in the episode where she appears.  Or really, any part of her theme, especially the melancholy parts.

I'm really happy Ludwig has not used any recognisable themes yet for Mandalorian but the one exception would be Ahsoka's theme as it's been used so much in Clone Wars and Rebels.

• Like 3

Something occurred to me last night as I was checking out fan reaction vids to last week's episode.  I purposefully started to check out vids of folks who weren't familiar with various EU characters, as I wanted to see their impressions.  Good news is, with the limited sampling I got, none of them were all that confused about Bo-Katan (at least not for long) and most were intrigued by the dichotomy between two versions of Mandalorian society.  All of them seemed really happy with the "new" Mandalorians.

Being an action packed episode with a ton of funny lines and great set pieces probably helped a lot as well.

But what struck me is the episode name dropped Ahsoka Tano when they really didn't need to. I mean, don't get me wrong, it flowed perfectly in the scene.  But they could have easily structured it so it wasn't necessary to mention her name.

Then I figured.  Wait a mo.  They know their audience.  More importantly, they know the Google Search obsessed nature of many modern TV viewers.  If Ahsoka does show up in Chap 13 (two episodes from now), that gives curious viewers two weeks to casually search for this "Ahsoka Tano" to learn more about her.  Some might get overwhelmed, but even if they just get a glimpse they might see, "Wow, this character looks to be a Big Deal."  Even just glancing at a summary over at Wikipedia or Wookiepedia might give them an idea of what this character might be about.

Now it is true many, if not most, won't bother.  Either they won't care enough, or they like to go in cold.  

Just observing though that by name dropping her ahead of time, it gives time for some folks out there to learn about her.  And I reckon that angle was almost certainly a consideration on some level or another, as opposed to just dropping her in cold with absolutely no warning (outside of the mentions in the press).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Why hasn't the Gina Carano character shown up yet? What happened to her at the end of S1, I don't remember?

She's on the Bounty Hunter guild planet with Carl Weathers' character.  Supposedly both of them show up in tonight's episode (directed by Carl Weathers).

• Like 1

Vanity Fair dropped a very lengthy piece tonight about Gina Carano and to a lesser degree Rosario Dawson.

Not gonna comment on it, but I think it is about an even handed/neutral look as possible over the whole situation:

While I'm here, I'm also going to re-drop a link to the GoFundMe that SW fans made for Trans Rights:

I thought bringing attention back to it wouldn't be a bad thing all things considered.

And with that, I am re-stepping out of this portion of this topic (*knocks on wood*).

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

She's on the Bounty Hunter guild planet with Carl Weathers' character.  Supposedly both of them show up in tonight's episode (directed by Carl Weathers).

Wait, Carl Weathers is directing an episode? Then I expect this to be the greatest episode in the history of television

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Eric Karga said:

Wait, Carl Weathers is directing an episode? Then I expect this to be the greatest episode in the history of television.

Yep.  He's got a pretty extensive history as a director in TV according to his IMDB page (directed 24 episodes of various shows, plus a couple of other shorts and whatnot).  So it should in fact be quite a treat. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

Spoiler

Did think things were a bit too neat so glad to see the curveball in the middle of the episode.

Got some funky Mad Scientist shit going on here.  Gonna want to chew over it a bit.

Not as great as the last few episodes, and there was more than a bit of cheating going on with the timing of a few events.  But fairly typical for the genre, I suppose.

Overall though, a very nice episode, though the weakest of the season for me. Not bad, or even mediocre.  Just not quite at the heights of the first three.

Be curious to see just where this set up his headed, especially in retrospect.  Have a fair few obvious guesses, but it's less obvious implications I'm curious about.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 4:25 AM, Porthos said:

More to the point, this is called The Mandalorian.  If there is gonna be a climatic battle, I can't see Ahsoka upstaging our resident hero

But our resident hero is like barely holding it together. He’s not exactly a bad ass. And it’s Ahsoka. She will upstage whoever she damn well pleases because she is the greatest gift of all time. 😂😂😂😂

anyway,

That episode was fantastic. More baby content is always wanted. More baby and dad Mando content is always wanted.  Yay for Carl Weathers directing. Woot! 

• Like 1

As I'm processing things a bit now...

Spoiler

I do find it... curious that the New Republic is starting to take an interest in Mando.  Captain Teva didn't buy that explanation for a moment, but didn't want to press things.

Speaking of which, that they brought back Paul Sun-Hyung Lee so quickly is pointing to a larger role for the character and the New Republic specifically.  

Curious about this side of the angle, as I wasn't quite expecting it.  Not that I didn't expect more of the NR, but I thought it might be from the other direction (Mando seeking out their help, not them tracking him).

Hmmm...  On the trail of Moff Gideon themselves?  Or just seeing what sort of trouble Mando is stirring up in the Outer Rim.

Either way, the importance of the NR just shot up a peg or two in this series.  And I'm not entirely convinced as an ally of Din Djarin. 

• Like 1