Fullbuster

The Mandalorian | March 2023 for S3

So much for the idea that Mandalorian was getting its own panel:

THE MANDALORIAN HEADED TO D23 EXPO

WE WOULD BE HONORED IF YOU WOULD JOIN US FOR A SNEAK PEEK AT THE NEW SERIES, A COSTUME EXHIBIT, AND MORE!

The Mandalorian, a squadron of stormtroopers, and a galaxy of other adventures are headed to Anaheim next month for the D23 Expo.

During the Disney+ panel on Friday, August 23 at 3:30 p.m. in Hall D23, get a sneak preview of the upcoming live-action series The Mandalorian. Executive producer Jon Favreau will be joined by Dave Filoni (supervising director on Star Wars: The Clone Wars and writer/director on The Mandalorian) and other special guests for an on-stage presentation offering a glimpse at the titular bounty hunter and his travels to the outer reaches of the galaxy far, far away.

The Mandalorian logo.

D23 Expo attendees will also get the chance to explore the Lucasfilm pavilion, a first for the convention, which includes a special exhibit showcasing the evolution of stormtrooper designs – including the new Sith trooper from Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. Through an up-close examination of several screen-used costumes from throughout the Star Wars saga, fans will have the rare opportunity to study the unique styles and carefully crafted details utilized to make each generation of stormtroopers distinct.

For families, the pavilion will also host an area for younglings and Padawans to discover the Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures video shorts and explore other activities.

Just have to hope they get more than 10m though.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

Yeah I heard someone talking about unfinished effects at some point, but from  the footage I’ve seen if that’s unfinished it’s gonna look crazy good visually.

It’s probably just they have a marketing plan they want to follow, as you mention April would have probably been too soon to start pushing but August being less than three months out would be a good time to start ramping out. 

The difficult thing is making sure TROS and this both get enough of their own space, so if they decide to release another trailer for TROS at D23 I think a Manadalorian trailer is super unlikely. At the moment I’m thinking they will save the next TROS trailer for a big sporting event, but you never know.

Oh, I never expected a trailer for TROS at D23.  BtS sizzle reel?  Almost a certainty.  That and a Mando trailer should be able to live side-by-side.

If they don't officially release something for The Mandalorian at D23 (and keep whatever they show exclusive) then probably some ABC TV show in September.  No idea which one though.

• Like 2

Just now, Porthos said:

Oh, I never expected a trailer for TROS at D23.  BtS sizzle reel?  Almost a certainty.  That and a Mando trailer should be able to live side-by-side.

If they don't officially release something for The Mandalorian at D23 (and keep whatever they show exclusive) then probably some ABC TV show in September.  No idea which one though.

Yeah BTS sizzle makes sense and I agree that would fine to release both of those at D23. 

I think they will want to show a lot of Disney+ sizzle reels on ABC, ESPN, and Disney Channel leading up to the November release, so maybe some Mandalorian stuff as it’s their marquee show but wouldn’t be surprised if that’s on top of the trailer at D23. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

Yes, rumors have been flying about a second season of The Mandalorian for a while now.  And even this isn't quite official as scripts/treatments can be written ahead of an official order (see The Clone Wars), but it's all but a done deal, IMO.

I suspect they're gonna make a Day One or Week One announcement.  Probably want to tie it in to subscriber/streamer numbers.  A sort of "LOOK HOW SUCCESSFUL THIS IS!!! WHY IT'S SO SUCCESSFUL WE JUST IMMEDIATELY ORDERED A SECOND SEASON!!! SHOULDN'T ***YOU*** CHECK OUT THIS HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL THING AND NOT GET FOMO'ED?!?"

Transparent as all hell, especially for folks who have been paying attention, but all a part of the game nonetheless.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Yes, rumors have been flying about a second season of The Mandalorian for a while now.  And even this isn't quite official as scripts/treatments can be written ahead of an official order (see The Clone Wars), but it's all but a done deal, IMO.

I suspect they're gonna make a Day One or Week One announcement.  Probably want to tie it in to subscriber/streamer numbers.  A sort of "LOOK HOW SUCCESSFUL THIS IS!!! WHY IT'S SO SUCCESSFUL WE JUST IMMEDIATELY ORDERED A SECOND SEASON!!! SHOULDN'T ***YOU*** CHECK OUT THIS HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL THING AND NOT GET FOMO'ED?!?"

Transparent as all hell, especially for folks who have been paying attention, but all a part of the game nonetheless.

Yeah I think behind scenes it’s already green lit for a second season, only way I see that getting retracted is if Disney+ bombs hard (which I think is highly unlikely)

Officially renewing it just after it comes out makes a whole lot of sense for the reasons you mentioned and that is how I would see it playing out.

• Like 1

In addition, the article also indicates Disney+’s lavish first live-action “Star Wars” series “The Mandalorian” is also clocking in at a budget of around the same amount – nearly $15 million an episode. It has a confirmed eight-episode run.

Launching a service flagship show requires big bucks. The first season of CBS All Access’ “Star Trek: Discovery” came in at $125 million, a little over $8 million an episode across a 15 episode first season.

Netflix launched its originals with the relatively cost-effective “House of Cards” at $4.5M an episode – but have since spent much more on shows like “The Crown” ($13M), “The Get Down” ($11M), “Sense8” ($9M), “Marco Polo” ($9M) & “Altered Carbon” ($7M).

HBO famously spent big on “Band of Brothers” ($12.5M), Rome” ($9M) and recently paid $15 million per episode for the final season of “Game of Thrones”. All these records could easily be decimated by Amazon Studios’ proposed “The Lord of the Rings” series which they’ve already spent $250 million on just to acquire the rights to develop.

Original source is WSJ ($).

Not exactly going cheap here.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Original source is WSJ ($).

Not exactly going cheap here.

Damn I was expecting $10m an episode that is big, hasn’t it been confirmed to be 8 episodes or is that still speculation? My brain is mixing up what is fact vs rumour right now 😂

13 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

Damn I was expecting $10m an episode that is big, hasn’t it been confirmed to be 8 episodes or is that still speculation? My brain is mixing up what is fact vs rumour right now 😂

8 episodes, last I heard.  SW Stuff might be speculating on double length episodes though as run times have yet to be announced.  I'd stick with 8 for now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

f4yfcEc.png f4yfcEc.png f4yfcEc.png

This isn't mentioned in the THR article btw, so presumably it's from Jordan Maison's sources.  So, again:  f4yfcEc.png

Now "in some form" probably precludes another directing gig, though TV directing is far less time intensive than film directing (to say the least).  But could be a return of his character, maybe?  Or something else.

Either way, I suspect @aabattery  will be pleased to hear about more Taika Waititi  involvement in S2 of The Mandalorian.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Porthos said:

f4yfcEc.png f4yfcEc.png f4yfcEc.png

This isn't mentioned in the THR article btw, so presumably it's from Jordan Maison's sources.  So, again:  f4yfcEc.png

Now "in some form" probably precludes another directing gig, though TV directing is far less time intensive than film directing (to say the least).  But could be a return of his character, maybe?  Or something else.

Either way, I suspect @aabattery  will be pleased to hear about more Taika Waititi  involvement in S2 of The Mandalorian.

Disney has him locked down between this, Thor 4 and What We Do in the Shadows on FX. I think he was doing the finale if the leak is true, so maybe he’ll do the Season 2 pilot. 

• Like 1

http://whatsondisneyplus.com/disney-announce-launch-dates-for-netherlands-canada-australia-new-zealand/

“November 12th marks the beginning of the global rollout of Disney+, with expectations to launch in most major global markets within the first two years. Disney+ will launch in Canada and the Netherlands in tandem with the U.S. on November 12th, priced at $8.99CAD per month (or $89.99 per year) and €6.99 per month (or €69.99 per year), respectively.

The following week, Disney+ will launch in Australia and New Zealand on November 19th, priced at $8.99AUD per month (or $89.99 per year) and $9.99NZD per month (or $99.99 per year), respectively.”

We now know the international roll out of Disney+ for a couple of markets, I only have to wait 1 week for sone of the sweet Mandalorian. Seems like big news for Canada as I saw quite a few people online surprised they weren’t getting fucked over lol. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jamiem said:

We now know the international roll out of Disney+ for a couple of markets, I only have to wait 1 week for sone of the sweet Mandalorian. 

I'm excited too, I certainly wasn't expecting us to get it this quickly. Do we know yet if they're doing a season dump or if it's weekly releases yet? If the latter I'd just get it for the month that would have the finale since I don't plan on having it as a constant. I guess if we don't know yet we might after D23, fingers crossed.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Gamora said:

I'm excited too, I certainly wasn't expecting us to get it this quickly. Do we know yet if they're doing a season dump or if it's weekly releases yet? If the latter I'd just get it for the month that would have the finale since I don't plan on having it as a constant. I guess if we don't know yet we might after D23, fingers crossed.

Weekly release.

Which is fine for me, as I like having the discussion space between episodes. 

Yes, I'm an oldz. :lol: 

• Like 3

Just now, Porthos said:

Weekly release.

Which is fine for me, as I like having the discussion space between episodes. 

Yes, I'm an oldz. :lol: 

I greatly prefer the weekly release format as well and I'm guessing Disney does too since people will pay for it longer to watch live. Since I hate spoilers I'm always having to watch the one dump shows as fast as I can which isn't very fast since I don't have time to marathon shit quickly (for the most part). Plus I feel like I don't absorb it as well when I am able to watch shows in one go, so weekly is perfect for me, too. Bring on the discussion and absorption between episodes!

• Like 2

Among other things, comments that a trailer is coming to D23.

In other news:

If that filming date is accurate, I'd expect an announcement at D23 that The Mandalorian has already been renewed.  IF it's accurate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1