Fullbuster

The Mandalorian | March 2023 for S3

From LRM concerning spoilers from last night's episode:

Spoiler

LRM reached out to sour source, and we got some word back. Here is what we were told.

According to our source, who has been proved correct a number of times so far. There will be a Season 3 of The Mandalorian. Though not sure on the exact episode count The Book of Boba Fett is not a full eight episode season and it will release in December of 2021. Our source pointed out that Kathleen Kennedy never dated The Mandalorian Season 3 as releasing December 21. Instead she said the ‘next chapter’.

From that we can surmise that The Mandalorian Season 3 may be pushed into 2022. Our source says the plan, as I suspected, is to film The Book of Boba Fett and then straight into The Mandalorian Season 3. This was always part of the plan.

We were also told to stop thinking of The Mandalorian as one linear story. This may be where the story begins, but the overall story is not necessarily linear. The Book of Boba Fett is a chapter of that story, The Mandalorian Season 3 is another chapter, as is Ahsoka and Rangers of the New Republic. Hence, the Game of Thrones analogy our source originally used to describe this collection of stories. A Mandoverse if you will and we were told that this Mandoverse is a puzzle more than a linear story.

I bolded an important takeaway that is already making the rounds about exact words that KK used.

"From a certain point of view" strikes again, it seems.

As for the veracity of the rumor it does seem to broadly line up with other rumors about the Boba Fett project filming first and then Mando S3 starting immediately afterwards.

This could indeed push Mando S3 back into early 2022, as LRM muses.

The bit about Mando not being a "linear story" is also interesting as it does lend credence to The Book of Boba Fett being its own "event series" while The Mandalorian is sort of the hub of the tale.  

Here's hoping this is right, even if it means Mando S3 is a little later than originally thought.

====

FWIW, there's also this from one of the stunt doubles for Pedro Pascal:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CI8mBmuJPzz/?igshid=1xnxwc0pseor0

No spoilers!!! But just in case the world didn’t know yet @pascalispunk is incredible. The journey they wrote for him this season was so beautiful. The fact that Pedro went beyond the page and made this epic. Thank you @pascalispunk 

Yes!! Pedro is coming back. There was never any question. DO NOT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ. 
Now let’s get ready for WW84 @wonderwomanfilm 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4

Someone be trolling on the Intrawebs:

Spoiler

---

FWIW, it looks like this wasn't digital de-aging, as there a credit for "Double for Jedi" (Max Lloyd Jones) in the credits, which points to digital deepfaking instead.  Fairly positive they used Mark's present day voice, if heavily modified to make it sound younger, though there sounded to be a pretty clear sampling from RotJ at one point.

That would help explain how this wasn't leaked from set.  How much Mark Hamill was actually involved then, especially due to COVID-19 restrictions, I will be very interested to see.

Also wouldn't be surprised if they touch up those scenes  over the coming months and years to be slightly less uncanny valley.  No matter the wizardy of ILM, this is still isn't at blockbuster movie level budgeting and it couldn't have been easy with COVID-19 restrictions.  While folks can get prickly over changes, I for one will not be upset if LFL tinkers with this scene over the coming months/years if they feel they want to improve it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Anyway, getting back to discussion about the actual episode, some folks have noted what seems at first glance to be a discrepancy between this episode and a certain arc in Star Wars: Rebels.

After some reflection, I don't think so, and I'll explain why.

Spoiler

In The Rescue Moff Gideon claimed that Bo-Katan couldn't just accept the Darksaber as it has to be taken by force to be truly wielded.  

At fist blush this seems to contradict The Heroes of Mandalore episode in Rebels when Sabine just up and gave the Darksaber to Bo-Katan when Sabine felt she was unworthy of it. And Bo-Katan didn't seem to make a peep over the decision (though she did seem conflicted, from memory).

And yet.  And yet what happened to Mandalore relatively soon after Bo-Katan got the Darksaber?

Bo-Katan lost it in some unspecified manner and Mandalore "got glassed".  If Bo-Katan wasn't a believer in the idea that it had to be taken by force before, she might be much more inclined to accept the notion now.

And even if she personally doesn't believe in that superstition, she might very well recognize that other Mandalorians would think it has to be won in combat, referencing The Great Purge as to what happens when it isn't.

So instead of being a contradiction, it just adds a couple of layers.

Not to mention that for all she's changed over the years, this is still a woman who was part of Death Watch in her youth.  That plus some level of burning shame at losing Mandalore could make her much much more willing to buy into all of this.  Hell, it's a credit to her character development that she didn't go nuts and attack Din Djarin then and there.

Perhaps this is a pretty obvious inference to make about this, but I've seen more than a couple of people object to this and I thought I'd lay out some reasonings on why it not only isn't a contradiction but lines up very well with what we already knew.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Anyway, getting back to discussion about the actual episode, some folks have noted what seems at first glance to be a discrepancy between this episode and a certain arc in Star Wars: Rebels.

After some reflection, I don't think so, and I'll explain why.

Hide contents

In The Rescue Moff Gideon claimed that Bo-Katan couldn't just accept the Darksaber as it has to be taken by force to be truly wielded.  

At fist blush this seems to contradict The Heroes of Mandalore episode in Rebels when Sabine just up and gave the Darksaber to Bo-Katan when Sabine felt she was unworthy of it. And Bo-Katan didn't seem to make a peep over the decision (though she did seem conflicted, from memory).

And yet.  And yet what happened to Mandalore relatively soon after Bo-Katan got the Darksaber?

Bo-Katan lost it in some unspecified manner and Mandalore "got glassed".  If Bo-Katan wasn't a believer in the idea that it had to be taken by force before, she might be much more inclined to accept the notion now.

And even if she personally doesn't believe in that superstition, she might very well recognize that other Mandalorians would think it has to be won in combat, referencing The Great Purge as to what happens when it isn't.

So instead of being a contradiction, it just adds a couple of layers.

Not to mention that for all she's changed over the years, this is still a woman who was part of Death Watch in her youth.  That plus some level of burning shame at losing Mandalore could make her much much more willing to buy into all of this.  Hell, it's a credit to her character development that she didn't go nuts and attack Din Djarin then and there.

Perhaps this is a pretty obvious inference to make about this, but I've seen more than a couple of people object to this and I thought I'd lay out some reasonings on why it not only isn't a contradiction but lines up very well with what we already knew.

Spoiler

I guess technically you can say Sabine could give it away because she found it, instead of winning it.

So there wasn't a need to challenge since Sabine was more of a keeper than a champion.

• Like 1

What a great finale. That was so unbelievably entertaining. Peyton Reed did a really good job, his experience with bigger budgets showed a handle on the blockbuster elements. I think the actual content was so strong it helped overshadow/pull up his usually quite generic directing style.

For TV I was blown away, I'm still thinking about it. Everything in the season paid off so well.

Spoiler

Was super happy to see Bo Katan being brought in at the very start, was something I was hoping for.

The general way the episode plays out is so classically Star Wars with the planning, infiltrating, taking out storm-troopers. There's been so many iterations of that and honestly I'm always excited to see directors different takes on it. Don't think I'll get tired of it. 

The Dark Trooper music was badass. The Dark Troopers themselves looked great. Top tier CGI

It fleetingly occurred to me while watching it that the taking out troopers crew were all women, it happened so naturally whereas other properties have been so heavy handed when trying to something similar. 

The Mando/Dark Trooper fight was fantastic. I loved the helmet punching and the Trooper looked wonderful when Mando tried to flame it. Very Terminator-esque head turn

The Mando/Gideon fight was also really great, the little back kick to the spear was cool, aesthetically the Beskar glowing orange was beautiful, as was that brief section where the Darksaber is pushed into the wall. There's a wonderful shot where the camera pulls back just over the Darksaber which was the cinematography highlight of the episode for me. The fight just kind of peters out at the end though, it wasn't a very dramatic win.

Mando/Grogu saying goodbye was quite sad, I really enjoyed the little moment between R2 and Grogu. It was very sweet, reminded of something you'd see in the ST.

I'm happy that story is wrapped up though. There's only so much you can do to create conflict with that narrative and it ended at the right moment. I think we would have seen repetition if Grogu had stuck around another season. 

Thoughts on the BIG spoiler

Spoiler

Lets talk about Luke - As soon as that X-Wing showed up I couldn't believe they were doing it. Then the green lightsaber with black glove. The whole section was a joy to watch. (Although there's one shot of Luke taking out troopers from far away where it looks like they forgot to CGI the lightsaber) 

I do think the face CG wasn't convincing, it ran into that issue that DeepFakes do where they feel stiff in their expressions and mouth movement. But honestly I didn't mind because I'm happy they didn't let that restrict them doing what they wanted narratively. They didn't think 'oh we shouldn't do Luke because we can't pull it off, or we shouldn't because it's main movie stuff'. They went for it because it's what they wanted to do and I think that's admirable even if it's not 100% convincing.

It's also the one that makes the most obvious sense to me and I'm happy they did it.

It is a shame it's brought out another drove of TLJ haters (Which imo is Luke at his most interesting/human as well as Hamill's best performance), especially the claims that this is the 'real Luke Skywalker' but what are you gonna do at this point, I've learned to just enjoy what I enjoy.

10/10 - Fantastic stuff

Edited by FilmFincher
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, FilmFincher said:

What a great finale. That was so unbelievably entertaining. Peyton Reed did a really good job, his experience with bigger budgets showed a handle on the blockbuster elements. I think the actual content was so strong it helped overshadow/pull up his usually quite generic directing style.

For TV I was blown away, I'm still thinking about it. Everything in the season paid off so well.

Hide contents

Mando/Grogu saying goodbye was quite sad, I really enjoyed the little moment between R2 and Grogu. It was very sweet, reminded of something you'd see in the ST

Spoiler

It's almost like they have might have some history between them. YiBe40t.png

===

Seriously, given how much R2 was running around in the PT it wouldn't surprise me at all that Grogu and R2 crossed paths several times.

I don't think it really was a coincidence that Grogu, even with Din Djarin's reluctant permission, only became willing to go with Luke once R2D2 appeared, I'll put it that way.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Sabine did fight Gar Saxon for the Darksaber in Legacy of Mandalore, on the other hand.

• Like 3

Speaking of Mandalorian politics:

Spoiler

I'm actually really glad to see the prickly/icy reactions between Boba Fett and Bo-Katan's crew.  Makes Prime Minister Almec's prior reactions much more natural and grounded in believability.  

Could also be hinting, ala Legends, that Death Watch and Jango Fett weren't exactly best buds and there is a decent amount of residual hostility there.

Also was pleased to see Boba Fett be a bit more rough around the edges and perhaps unsavory in his post credit scene.  There was something of a danger of him becoming a bit too much of a straight edge hero and I'm interested to see where Crime Boss Boba goes from here.

Also also a damn near guarantee we see more Cobb Vanth in the future, which is always welcome news given it's Timothy Olyphant who is playing him.

• Like 4

I watched this after work today as I had an hour before I was going to my mates for dinner... so i watched it and then went to my mates and guess what, they had been waiting for me so they could watch the finale with me lol. So i watched it twice in a row.

Second time round, yea its just as good as I thought earlier. I understand the "fan service" criticism but it's still a really effective action episode.  The appearance of *that* character has been telegraphed throughout the second half of this season, and yes it may be fan service but it still works in the context of the show and the plot.

High point: Dark trooper getting through the door

Low point: That droid appearance, definitely IS pure fan service as there is no reason whatsoever for it to be there for the viewer to see.

• Like 2

Really great episode, that whole last section had my heart thumping in my chest as my mental thought process went “Nah...they wouldn’t...wait...that does look familiar...nah, I don’t believe it...HOLY SHIT, IT IS!” 😂 

I seriously doubt that’s the last we see of Grogu though, and I’m sure that Disney wouldn’t be so stupid as to not do a proper third season of their biggest show. The spin off announced at the end is nowhere near as interesting as what they set the stage for with Din and the Dark Sabre.

• Like 3