4 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I've just realised, does this ending suggest that

Hide contents

Kylo Ren

Kills

Hide contents

The Child

?

I had that thought too, but I doubt it. That’s be too tragic, even for Star Wars, and it’d make everyone despise that character again which might not go down too well after his “redemption”.

10 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I've just realised, does this ending suggest that

Reveal hidden contents

Kills

Reveal hidden contents

?

No

Spoiler

In the Rise of Kylo Ren comic series, it was revealed that Kylo didn't actually masacre any of the students in the temple.  He killed one of the Jedi after the fact, but it was an explosion that destroyed the temple that was likely caused by Palpatine.  It makes a lot more sense in the comic. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

No

Hide contents

In the Rise of Kylo Ren comic series, it was revealed that Kylo didn't actually masacre any of the students in the temple.  He killed one of the Jedi after the fact, but it was an explosion that destroyed the temple that was likely caused by Palpatine.  It makes a lot more sense in the comic. 

Spoiler

Plus there's around 20 years worth of time between the events.  Plenty of time for Grogu to go off on his own, even if it isn't addressed in Mando proper (which I expect it to be).

@Avatree

2 hours ago, Knights of Ren said:

No

Hide contents

Spoiler

So he does, because he's responsible for his reactions, and his reactions led to the destruction of that temple!!!!!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Menor said:

Interesting to compare the mixed reaction in this thread to the current imdb rating (with a decent amount of ratings in, too). Well, probably good to keep my expectations in check before I watch. 

*ten hours later*

S2, Ep8 18 Dec. 2020 Chapter 16: The Rescue  9.9 (16,922)   

Still at 9.9 on IMDB.

Now it will come down. And IMDB is a pretty fanboy skewed demo.  But, damn.  9.9 with nearly 17k reactions.

And in case peeps are wondering, only The Jedi has more rankings this season (9.6 18.7k).  Lots of S1's have reactions in the range of 20k to 25k, so the long tail will eventually do its magic.

But 9.9 out of the gate.

09b76d21a380edbff2c8cf44ef5ef32b04567c12

Also been checking out the reactions community over on YT and peeps are literally, and I do mean lit-er-a-ly crying at different points of the episode.

Now this is initial reaction, perhaps dominated by super fans.  But, as I said: God damn!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

WOW!

I only just watched it. I’m amazed I wasn’t spoiled. 

24 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

I saw this tweet and did not make the connection. 

DeeCee, apparently, as he avoids spoilers: 
I am one with the Force and the Force is with me.

Me in response:

Impressive.  Most impressive.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Whew, it was really hard to avoid spoilers today. This episode is... really, really interesting for me. I absolutely enjoyed the hell out of watching it, and that appearance legitimately surprised me. But looking back now, I'm not sure about how satisfying it was as a finale to this particular story.

Spoiler

The Moff Gideon fight has great, and the high point action-wise for me. His fighting style was so efficient and brutal (a lot like Vader, maybe?).

We live in a brave new world for actors now. Fire up those GANs boys, we gotta bring the original Star Wars cast back again. Luke's appearance is what I am most torn on (as I'm sure many people are). It is admittedly amazing to see him in action, but it also instantly distracted from everything else in the episode. I guess I was hoping to see a little more from both Mando and Grogu (not sure what season 3 has in store).

I know that this won't be the last we see of... well, anyone, cause no one died, I know that stormtroopers are a joke, but man, they went on a speedrun through that cruiser. 

I had a ton of fun overall with this season. It really doubled down on the action, and I enjoyed the little pieces of world building that were sprinkled in. This episode just didn't quite give me the sense of resolution that I wanted, but I suppose I'm roped in for the 10,000 shows that come out over the next few years.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Porthos said:

Speaking of Mandalorian politics:

Hide contents

I'm actually really glad to see the prickly/icy reactions between Boba Fett and Bo-Katan's crew.  Makes Prime Minister Almec's prior reactions much more natural and grounded in believability.  

Could also be hinting, ala Legends, that Death Watch and Jango Fett weren't exactly best buds and there is a decent amount of residual hostility there.

Also was pleased to see Boba Fett be a bit more rough around the edges and perhaps unsavory in his post credit scene.  There was something of a danger of him becoming a bit too much of a straight edge hero and I'm interested to see where Crime Boss Boba goes from here.

Also also a damn near guarantee we see more Cobb Vanth in the future, which is always welcome news given it's Timothy Olyphant who is playing him.

Spoiler

Agree on Boba. OT Boba was a hard dude, and here are a lot of interesting directions they can take him if he's more on the fringe. Poor Bib though lol.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Porthos said:

DeeCee, apparently, as he avoids spoilers: 

Me in response:

Impressive.  Most impressive.

I even replied to the tweet. He tweets about Star Wars a lot. He actually liked my reply to one of his tweets once. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

I even replied to the tweet. He tweets about Star Wars a lot. He actually liked my reply to one of his tweets once. 

You, a normie, reacting to that tweet: Man, Paul Sun-Hyung Lee sure would be fantastic in that.  Seems he really wants to be a regular on the show as well going by his recent tweets.

Me, an intellectual, reacting to that tweet: Sure is gonna be hilarious the number of times Dave Filoni is gonna be forced against his will to be in front of the camera as Paul Sun-Hyung Lee's wingman Trapper Wolf. :hahaha:

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Inceptionzq said:

I have loved loved loved the music this season. There are some really great ones in the chapter 13-16 sect. 

@Porthos @Ahsoka (and every Ahsoka fan really) Definitely listen to Ahsoka Lives

Already ahead of you, boss. 👍

Boba Fett's new theme is in the middle of the track Capture the Flag for those who want to hear that.

Speaking of, got to say, Fett's new theme is really growing on me.  Just something sinister and menacing in it with more than a touch of raw power.  Quite unlike many of the previous character themes in SW.

• Like 2

Funny, I created this thread years ago and didn't watch this yet lol.

But after all the praise and recommendations from my Twitter mutuals I decided to give it a try soon, after it's only 16 episodes so t's easy to catch up ^^

It will be the first live action series I watched in almost 5 years!

I also decided to go on with Star Wars Rebels, I saw 2 seasons and loved it and then stopped watching for no reason.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

Thoughts on Darksaber lore

Spoiler

I feel like it's a straight up retcon considering Sabine and Gar Saxon fought for it, and Bo was quite happy to just accept it from Sabine.

There was a little talk of the Darksaber needs 'a story' (Game of Thrones flashbacks intensify) or something like that. Which covers the new lore. 

I don't mind the retcon honestly, it's just synonymous with Star Wars at this point, it happens internally within all the trilogies, it happens outside of them. Fans can sometimes get a bit caught up with lore and changes to it. 

It feels like it's going to have real narrative purpose, especially for Mando's character arc which is the most important thing for me. 

• Like 1

I thought it was a pretty good episode, but it didn't really capture me as it did for other people. There were some pieces in there that could have been brilliant but which I felt weren't executed as well as they could have been.

- the scene between all the Mandalorians early on was really good, building up some tension between the soon-to-be allies

- they might as well stop doing action-scene with stormtroopers in them, because they just never get them to be even remotely threatening at all. At this point it feels more like Topper Harley taking out the prison camp guards in Hot Shots 2 than an actually intense action sequence. Probably the biggest weakness of the show to me. They don't need to be a true menace, but seeing 9685845 of them being taken out in 5 seconds by any random bystander does absolutely nothing.

- most of the Dark Troopers being blown into space really felt like a "they didn't just get rid of them like that, did they?" moment, but thankfully that was just a well-done misdirection and they returned for some more later on

- I really enjoyed the fight between Gideon and Mando, the Darksaber doing a number on the Beskar to the point where it looked like it was starting to melt was cool

- Luke coming to the rescue was build up really well, but I didn't find the action to be filmed all that well, seemed sort of bland, apart from the moment where he crushed the droid at the end

- I didn't really like the dialogue that followed either. No acknowledging of the others, just sort of a direct "yo, child, lets go", no explanation of why he was there (to the characters, not the audience). A simple reference to having heard a call through the force would have been a start. Outside of Luke telling Din that Grogu was looking for his approval, there didn't seem to be much wamth either. The only really great moment in there was Din taking of his helmet for Grogu.

As for the future of the child:
I wouldn't assume that Grogu will stay with Luke until the temple burns down. It is 20-25 years before that happens, that is a very long time. There isn't much of a reason to assume that they will let the story run in such a way that Grogu dies in that massacre, they really have no reason to.
It will be interesting to see how they continue though. Removing Grogu from the show would take out an integral part and might actually lower interest in the show by quite a bit. Who knows, maybe he is gone for good, and Mando is on his own for now. Or he will return later on, or he might even return in the next season, though it is hard to think of a way how that could be accomplished. Especially the earlier in the season it would happen.

Edited by George Parr
  • Like 2