Fullbuster

The Mandalorian | March 2023 for S3

For several weeks, a masked Mandalorian and his Baby Yoda has been zooming around the streets of Los Angeles, spreading some good cheer during the pandemic.

As reported by NBC Los Angeles, this fully costumed bounty hunter has been speeding along on his electric skateboard, with the Child in tow:

The man behind the homemade mask is comedian Tim Brehmer, who told NBC he's out of work and his goal was simply to make people laugh during a tough time.

"This whole thing got started because I'm a big box of stupid and I love making people laugh," he told NBC. "...with some people with depression, a pill can help, with some people therapy can help, with me, this is my therapy."

Some on Twitter have urged The Mandalorian showrunner Jon Favreau to give Brehmer something to do in the Disney+ hit's upcoming season 3.

And, yes, he has been pulled over by the cops.

"I'll just ride behind traffic with everybody," he said. "Police officers think it's hysterical. I've been pulled over once... [the officer was] like, 'Why do you think you can just go through a red light?'"

Now all he needs is some Fleetwood Mac.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Add anti-semitic conspiracy theories to the list of shit Carano has tweeted so far. How has she not still been fired? Gunn got fired for less.

I mean, is this a rhetorical question?

If not, it's because of different power/social dynamics at play.  You had notorious shit posters with a massive online presence who decided to make Gunn A Big Story on the internet and caused reflexive embarrassment.  When the story blew up all over the internet, the knee-jerk "must not appear to be liberals so we'll bend over backwards to appease right wing folks" mentality that has so infected US (and to a degree Western society) kicked in and caused big wigs at Disney to freak out.

That said people ginning up the outrage were posting in outrageously bad faith just goes to show why Gunn should never have been fired in the first place.

Here, the situation is far more analogous to Roseanne Barr, for numerous reasons.  On the first hand, you have the "allegedly liberal entertainment industry not wanting to appear like knee-jerk liberals" dynamic at play I mentioned before.  On the second hand, the outrage is being driven organically by folks justifiably disgusted with her conduct.... but it isn't by huge social media influencers.  Not yet at least. 

Put a tad more cynically, bigwigs at a lot of entertainment industries don't care when some folks online are mad.  Not at first.

But much like Roseanne Barr, one outrage too many can occur and then the whole house of cards come tumbling down.  I don't think it is a coincidence that it took months, if not more than a year, of Roseanne Barr acting outrageously before the plug was pulled on her.  There just comes a time where the knee-jerk "don't want to appear to be a cancel-culturing liberal" is just overwhelmed. 

And the more I think about it, the more Roseanne is almost the perfect analogy.  Gunn reported to Disney, so there was much less of a buffer.  Gina Carano reports to Jon Favreau who reports to Kathleen Kennedy who reports to the Disney bigwigs.  There's just more places for people to pump the brakes.

On the other hand, and I say this after having seen the post Gina Carano made, she's also far less important in the grand scheme of things, and thus can be metaphorically punted into the sun without too much internal blowback within Disney.

But, and you knew there was a but here, when Gina Carano is fired (and I think with each passing controversy it becomes pretty inevitable) those same folks who ginned up massive controversy over Gunn will flip out.  If I were to be cynical about it, it might just be Disney/Lucasfilm/Favreau deciding when to rip off the bandaid is less painful than keeping her around.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 6

@lorddemaxus

To put my long-ass post more succinctly:

When will Gina Carano be fired?  When Variety/THR/Deadline start negatively reporting on her behavior. 

My long-ass post was pretty much saying what will probably need to occur for the Trades to start reporting on this.

• Like 4

Has exactly zero percent chance to win, IMO, thanks to going up against the likes of The Crown, but it's nice to see a nom all the same.  Coming on the heels of the Emmy nod for S1 as well as the real and actual "normie" buzz signals that this might be a perennial award nomination contender, if not actually winner.in the years to come.

• Like 7

Now this is a bit more interesting to me than the GG nomination!  A WGA nom is prestigious in a non-hacky way that the Golden Globes aren't (at least in my opinion).   Going against Better Call Saul. among others so again little chance of winning.  But here just being nominated really is an honor, IMO.

(also none of the individual episodes were nominated for anything, which is another reason why I think it has little chance of winning)

• Like 5

Good read from Variety on Mandolrian and its award/nomination success 

With its best drama series nominations at the Golden Globes and the WGA Awards on Wednesday, on top of its recognition as one of the top 10 TV programs of the year by the AFI, not to mention its seven Emmy Awards and 15 nominations, including for best drama, last fall, the Disney Plus series “The Mandalorian” is now unmistakably prestige awards television — words that, a year ago, pretty much no one would have taken seriously.

That’s no knock on the show itself, which instantly became no less than a cultural sensation when it first debuted at the end of 2019, and only further solidified that reputation with its second season. But since the first “Star Wars” movie (i.e. 1977’s “Star Wars: Episode IV — A New Hope”) earned 10 Oscar nominations, including for best picture, and four Golden Globe nominations, including for best drama, not a single “Star Wars” project has earned top nominations at the Globes or Oscars. The unfairly decided conventional wisdom that “Star Wars” is commerce, not art, has for decades confined the franchise — and many more like it — just to awards for its superlative technical achievements.

With “The Mandalorian,” the “Star Wars” franchise has finally joined a rarefied club of genre series that were deemed worthy of major artistic awards consideration, including “Game of Thrones,” “Stranger Things,” “Westworld,” “Heroes,” “Lost,” “Alias,” and “The X-Files” (which actually won the Golden Globe for best TV drama three times). The only show remotely like “The Mandalorian” — that is, a sci-fi adventure saga set in space — to earn a top awards nod is the original “Battlestar Galactica” series, which earned a 1978 Golden Globe nomination for best TV drama.

“Game of Thrones” and last year’s awards darling “Watchmen” — the first comic book adaption to win a top Emmy award — have been particularly instrumental in reframing popular genre entertainment as at once wildly entertaining spectacle and deserving of recognition for its artistry. But despite its love for “The X-Files” in the 1990s, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association has been far less eager to ultimately reward genre shows with a statue — “Game of Thrones” never won, and “Watchmen” wasn’t even nominated — so it’s unlikely that “The Mandalorian” will break the HFPA out of that particular trend.

What is perhaps even more significant, however, is the Writers Guild’s recognition of “The Mandalorian.” Other genre shows have earned WGA nominations recently — including “Watchmen,” “Game of Thrones,” and “Stranger Things.” But, again, no show steeped in sci-fi tropes like spaceships and laser blasters has earned a WGA nod since a 1989 episode of “Star Trek: The Next Generation” and a 2006 episode of the updated “Battlestar Galactica.” With “The Mandalorian,” it appears writers within the industry have seen past the whiz-bang production value of the show to appreciate the spare and carefully calibrated writing at its center.

This is all good news for genre storytelling in general, suggesting that the antiquated bias against popular entertainment as its own artform is becoming a thing of the past. The WGAs also nominated Amazon’s gritty superhero satire “The Boys” for best drama, HBO’s ambitious pulp fantasy/horror series “Lovecraft Country” for new series, and HBO Max’s outré sci-fi series “Raised by Wolves” for its pilot episode; while the Globes also nominated “Lovecraft Country” for best drama.

The biggest test now is whether any of these shows will actually win a top award, which — as is the case every awards season — has as much to do with how deserving the show really is with how deserving the industry thinks it should be.

source: https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/the-mandalorian-golden-globes-1234899946/#!

• Like 4

On 1/24/2021 at 10:27 AM, Porthos said:

@lorddemaxus

To put my long-ass post more succinctly:

When will Gina Carano be fired?  When Variety/THR/Deadline start negatively reporting on her behavior. 

My long-ass post was pretty much saying what will probably need to occur for the Trades to start reporting on this.

The clock is now officially ticking.

(also "FireGinaCarano is the top trend in the US for Twitter, near as I can tell)

• Like 5

The thing that might save her, today at least, is that Josh Whedon is currently sucking up a LOT of attention in Hollywood.  But given Carano's full throated embrace of a victim complex when it comes to her political views and her rapid embrace of the alt-right, it really is becoming a matter of if not now, then soon. 

If only because that combination ("I am the victim here" + "playing alt-right tropes") is pretty much like playing with matchsticks in a room full of fireworks and gasoline.  Might be able to throw several lit matches and get away with it.  But sooner or later, it's all gonna blow up in one's face.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future. Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable.”

Edited by cax16
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • ...wtf 1

17 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future. Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable.”

sleeping beauty parody GIF

• Like 2

More on this:

This is not the first time Carano, who plays former Rebel Alliance soldier Cara Dune on The Mandalorian, has been the focus of social media ire for her political comments.

Last November, she issued contentious tweets, one in which she mocked mask-wearing amid the novel coronavirus pandemic and another in which she falsely suggested voter fraud occurred during the 2020 presidential election.

“They have been looking for a reason to fire her for two months, and today was the final straw,” a source with knowledge of Lucasfilm’s thinking tells THR.

One of the reasons I thought Carano was on thin ice is that the rumors about her getting a series of her own pretty much dried up right at the exact same time she started to make comments about the US election.

I also thought the lack of, well, anything regarding The Rangers of the New Republic was VERY conspicuous in its absence last December at the investor live stream.  Especially since it seemed like that was the show that was being rumored about in Oct/Nov.  So the bit from TNR that they've been looking for a reason to fire her rings true to me.  

Only real question is if she's recast or not.  Entirely possible that TRotNR is being retooled to do completely without her character.

• Like 3