Fullbuster

The Mandalorian | March 2023 for S3

12 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Let's say The Book of Boba Fett continues the chapter numbering theme "Chapter 1: The Foo (Fighters)".  If so, then when the story gets to be Mando-centric again, it could start over with a new chapter numbering system, or follow on the chapters laid out from TBoBF.  Or pick up the chapter numbers from S2.

Now the one big reason NOT to do this is that Disney/Lucasfilm has built up an incredible brand in a very short time under the name The Mandalorian.  So having S3 be called something else does risk being Too Clever By Half.  Especially with lingering fallout from Gina Carano.

But, who knows.  Wouldn't be the first time an entertainment company decided to get clever when they shouldn't.

In the end, I do think whatever is "next" that tells the tale of Din Djarin is still called The Mandalorian, if only for branding purposes.  

On the other hand, this whole chapter and book theming going on is just kinda sitting there, waiting to be followed on. So, who knows.

Edited by Porthos

https://collider.com/the-mandalorian-season-3-the-book-of-boba-fett-production-filming/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Season 3 of The Mandalorian is not currently heading into production. That's because the LA stages are, for the moment, in use by the upcoming Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi limited series starring Ewan McGregor in his official return to the galaxy far, far away since Revenge of the Sith in 2005. The show is set 10 years after the events of that film and production on this series will reportedly take many months.

We hear the plan is for The Mandalorian Season 3 to begin filming at the end of this year, or in very early 2022. What that means is the season will not be premiering on Disney+ until late 2022.

The delay in The Mandalorian's filming timeline can also likely, in part, be attributed to actor Pedro Pascal's commitment to the TV adaptation The Last of Us, which is slated to start production in July this year. Pascal has been cast to play Joel alongside Bella Ramsey's Ellie and Gabriel Luna's Tommy for the HBO series.

51 minutes ago, Eric is Full of Pride said:

FWIW, Jordan Maison isn't saying the Collider report is wrong, but he is confused by the whole situation:

Someone in the Twitter feed suggested that they might have been filming some small amount of Mando stuff at the same time/during the BoBF shoot before the main shoot for S3 gets underway.   Wouldn't be the first time a studio did this.

But, who knows. Maybe it's all Boba stuff and sources are getting wires crossed (or leaking bad intel).

1 hour ago, Eric E Coyote said:

40 minutes ago, Finnick said:

The complete list [broken down by some arbitrary groupings by Yours Truly]:

Outstanding Drama Series - 2021

Outstanding Guest Actor In A Drama Series - 2021 - Timothy Olyphant, as Cobb Vanth - "Chapter 9: The Marshal"

Outstanding Guest Actor In A Drama Series - 2021 - Carl Weathers, as Greef Karga - "Chapter 12: The Siege"

Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Drama Series - 2021 - Giancarlo Esposito, as Moff Gideon
----

Outstanding Directing For A Drama Series - 2021 - Jon Favreau - "Chapter 9: The Marshal"
----

Outstanding Writing For A Drama Series - 2021 - Dave Filoni - "Chapter 13: The Jedi"
Outstanding Writing For A Drama Series - 2021 - Jon Favreau - "Chapter 16: The Rescue"
----
Outstanding Music Composition For A Series (Original Dramatic Score) - 2021 - "Chapter 16: The Rescue"

----

Outstanding Casting For A Drama Series - 2021
Outstanding Cinematography For A Single-Camera Series (Half-Hour) - 2021 - "Chapter 15: The Believer"
Outstanding Production Design For A Narrative Period Or Fantasy Program (One Hour Or More) - 2021 - "Chapter 13: The Jedi"

Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Drama Series - 2021 - "Chapter 11: The Heiress"

Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Drama Series - 2021 - "Chapter 13: The Jedi"

Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Drama Series - 2021 - "Chapter 15: The Believer"
Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Drama Series - 2021 - "Chapter 16: The Rescue"

Outstanding Sound Editing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (One Hour) - 2021 - "Chapter 13: The Jedi"

Outstanding Sound Mixing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (One Hour) - 2021 - "Chapter 13: The Jedi"

Outstanding Special Visual Effects In A Season Or A Movie - 2021 Outstanding Cinematography For A Single-Camera Series (One Hour) - 2021 - "Chapter 13: The Jedi"
Outstanding Stunt Coordination - 2021
Outstanding Stunt Performance - 2021 - "Chapter 16: The Rescue"

Outstanding Fantasy/Sci-Fi Costumes - 2021 - "Chapter 13: The Jedi"
Outstanding Period And/Or Character Hairstyling - 2021 - "Chapter 16: The Rescue"
Outstanding Prosthetic Makeup - 2021 - "Chapter 13: The Jedi"

• Like 1

Nice to see, though quite frankly I think by far the best performance came from Bill Burr in Chapter 15. That's the role that definately should have gotten a nomination. I'd also put the writing of that chapter way above that of chapter 16, which I don't think was all that great in that regard.

• Like 1

Could be what episodes were submitted for which categories. Then again, trying to divine just what goes on when it comes why some things get noms and others don't can be maddening in the best of times.

Regardless, with the exception of music (which it won last year),  the chances of Mando winning anything outside of the technical categories is essentially zero, IMO. So we really are at the "honor just to be nominated" stage, and with Mando already getting three (combined) actor nods and three (combined) writer/director nods, The Believer was probably just squeezed out.

(also, let's face it, reputation within Hollywood can be a factor, and I don't know what Hollywood Society currently thinks of Bill Burr when it comes to his acting chops)

Pretty thorough look at things and some surprises in there (like how much they considered using deep faking).

But, sakes alive, am I gonna dread/ignore some of the The Discourse that is bound to happen from folks (willfully) over-reading things.

*reflects*

Ah well, it has been too quiet lately in SW fandom. :lol:  Wasn't bound to last forever. 

40 minutes ago, George Parr said:

How noteworthy is the Hollywood Critics Association?

Been a bit surprising to see The Mandalorian winning "Best streaming series, drama" over shows like The Crown or Handmaid's Tale in their Awards show.

Well if it beat out them then obviously not very noteworthy at all

Great little behind the scenes:

“In 2018, myself and the entire cast of Kim’s Convenience attended the Unforgettable Gala, which is a celebration of Asian-Americans in Media, and it was a culture-shock for me,” recalls Paul Sun-Hyung Lee. “I’d never been to Los Angeles before, and we were in this place where they hold the Emmys and the Golden Globes. It was bigger than anything we’d been to in Canada, like we were Cinderella at the ball, and I was being a wet blanket to the other guys’ excitement, saying, ‘This is Los Angeles—they have actual superstars here. No one’s going to recognize us!’ Of course, we get recognized at an ‘In and Out Burger’!” He laughs.

“This woman jumped in front of me, and it was Deborah Chow!” says Lee. “We’d worked together in the Factory Theatre in Toronto 25 years previously, and she had cast me in one of her films that had got her into Film School at Columbia. She’d stayed in the U.S. and found her way into jobs on Jessica Jones (2015-2019), Better Call Saul (2015-2022), Mr. Robot (2014-2019), Fear the Walking Dead (2015-present)—you know, boutique shows that nobody has heard of?” he laughs. “So, I asked what she was doing now, and she told me she was directing The Mandalorian and that she’d been trying to get in touch with me. I had no idea. She asked me if I knew who Dave Filoni was, told me he was a big fan of Kim’s Convenience, and that he wanted to write something for me. That was the moment in which I almost died. All the lights went dark around me, and I grabbed Deborah’s elbows and asked her: ‘You DO realize what you’re asking me, right? I have over eight Star Wars cosplays at home!’ She asked to see them and, of course, they’re on my Instagram. She immediately sent them to Dave, and Dave instantly replied, ‘Wow! He can just show up in costume!’”

Chow invited Lee down to visit The Mandalorian set, and three weeks later he had one of the most surreal experiences any Star Wars fan could imagine.

“You know when you get a chance to live out a dream?” Lee says, emotional at the memory of his trip to the Manhattan Beach home of the hit series. “It was like an out-of-body experience. I couldn’t quite believe it was happening. I saw things like grips, electrics, all the stuff I’m used to seeing on a set, but this was bigger. I mean, I saw Grogu, and nobody had seen him!”

Source: https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-insider-205-preview

• Like 3