Fullbuster

The Mandalorian | March 2023 for S3

6 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

That is an excellent article, and one of the first I've seen that actually takes a deep look at Filoni as a newbie in the realm of live action as opposed to just talking about all of his accomplishments as a animation director/producer.

I was particularly interested in his comments about executing someone else's vision for the first time in a long time along with the interesting point about not being in on the ground floor of the writing process.

Really am interested in how his directorial debut goes.  But I'm equally, if not more, interested in how his executive producing of the series goes.  Jon Favreau is the show runner, but it does appear as time goes on that Filoni is something of a co-show runner here.  Junior partner, perhaps, but not the first time he's been in those shoes (toward the end of TCW it seems he was a co-show runner with George Lucas, if still the junior partner).

Makes me wonder just what LFL might be grooming him for in the long term.  He's been racking up producing experience for quite a while now.  If he gets long term show running experience in TV side of things and continues to rack up producer credit on the animation angle?  Well, then there is only one obvious hole in his resume when it comes to larger and bigger things in Lucasfilm.

It's a rather critical hole for what is still presumably a film-first studio, I might add.  

Still...

====

Also interesting that Dave Filoni gave one of the "I'm so proud of her" accolades to Deborah Chow upon her announcement.

Hmmm.... 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Makes me wonder just what LFL might be grooming him for in the long term.  He's been racking up producing experience for quite a while now.  If he gets long term show running experience in TV side of things and continues to rack up producer credit on the animation angle?  Well, then there is only one obvious hole in his resume when it comes to larger and bigger things in Lucasfilm.

It's a rather critical hole for what is still presumably a film-first studio, I might add.  

Still...

I would also add that I am not necessarily talking about movie directing here.

What will really raise one of my eyebrows is if I see news of Filoni getting producer credit on some film somewhere.

Considering he was hanging out on the set of TLJ and R1, it's not out realm of possibility one day.  Not that I see it happening any time soon. 

But by the time the 2030s roll around?  Just... Hmmmm....

• Like 2

Innnnnteresting scheduling.  Taking advantage of the streaming format I see and not being chained to a week but still not going the dump all at once route (which I'm glad for, BTW).

Giving TROS quite a bit of time in the limelight before dropping the season finale, I see.  Which naturally makes a ton of sense.  Be interesting to see how fandom handles Mando discussion around that time.

• Like 2

I saw the explanation for what's going on with The Mandalorian episode dates and it makes a fair amount of sense.

It's scheduled to air on Fridays.  However they bumped up the first episode to be on Release Day for Disney Plus and instead of making folks wait 10 days for the next one, they just decided to say "Here, have a late birthday present, Porthos" and scheduled the next one three days later in its normal slot.

But the also said LolNOPE on releasing the penultimate episode of the season on the same night TROS is released in the domestic market, so they shifted that episode up two days while having the Season Finale on its normal Friday.

Works for me.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

Of course, I will try to be even handed and point out that this IS Collider Frosty and Ash.

At the same time we're talking about a TV series here so perhaps initial emotional response is all that we need.  Since it was disparate clips we still don't know how it hangs in regards to storytelling.  That's the last piece to the puzzle and none of the reactions that are gonna be coming out today will be able to tell us that.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Of course, I will try to be even handed and point out that this IS Collider Frosty and Ash.

At the same time we're talking about a TV series here so perhaps initial emotional response is all that we need.  Since it was disparate clips we still don't know how it hangs in regards to storytelling.  That's the last piece to the puzzle and none of the reactions that are gonna be coming out today will be able to tell us that.

Yeah I think the most important thing from this is that it does feels like Star Wars. I’m not sure if anyone was really worried about that judging from what we’ve seen already, but that’s a really important thing to achieve. People might get turned off if the live action TV series format doesn’t feel like real Star Wars.

• Like 1

(one of the people who handles Social Media for SW but has a long record of cred in Nerd Circles)

Have to admit, this sounds very much My Jam. 👍

===

@Ryan Reynolds

Wouldn't be surprised if they release the first few episodes for review closer to release.  They do that for their animated series, so they might do it here as well.  At least the first two.  I know the embargo for this ~ 30min look is the 29th.  That still leaves two weeks until release, more than enough time for review copies of some episodes to hit.

• Like 1

Thinking about it a bit more, I suspect they'll cite the eight episode run and release the first two episodes for review about a week or so before the premiere and then have each of the other episodes up for review about 24 to 48 hours ahead of time.  Maybe 72.

LFL is too wedded to secrecy for its own good a lot of times, and that is one of those cases.  If this was even a 10 episode run, I could see them screening the first four.  But half the season?  I'd be more than a little surprised given Lucasfilm's M.O. when it comes to this sort of thing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

I think this series will be huge. the next GoT maybe?

===

It's got a lot of potential.  But I think we should hold off comparisons to one of the most popular TV shows of all time (at least until GoT's final season).

(yes, I may be a SW Shill and Apologist.  Doesn't mean I can't be a conservative/cautious one at times ;))

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

Also, Mando is not being pre-screened for critics.

Sigh.  One of the few things that really irritates me about Disney-era SW is how they're handling marketing and this is just a subset of all of that.  But I've droned on about it enough, so consider the moaning as read.

• Like 1