Fullbuster

The Mandalorian | March 2023 for S3

Ashoka was dope, the child’s name reveal was cool, the action in the second half of the episode was awesome. 

But the thing that stuck out to me was how much this was a Samurai influenced episode from the fortress and overall setting to the duel at the end (which in the art in the credits has that in duel in an even more Japan-like setting) absolutely beautiful stuff and I love when Star Wars showcases its Kurosawa influences. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

HK-87s 

One step closer to a canon meatbag destroyer

Yeah, there's slowly one KOTOR reference creeping in after another ;)

Tython, while not from KOTOR, is another Old Republic reference, coming from the old Darth Bane novels and then TOR.

Very nice episode, though since I do not care nearly as much about any Clone Wars or Rebels stuff as others do, nothing that really blew my mind.

It's always nice to see villains act like complete morons though. They were in front of the inner gate, with open territory before them, and way more firepower than Ahsoka or Din could have handled. So what do they do, split up in small groups, move into a terrain that is ideal for hiding and ambushes while entirely removing their range advantage, and let themselves get picked off one by one. What is the point of doing that when the enemy needs to come to you anyway?

I mean, it's Star Wars, and you also need the heroes to win, and it still looked cool, so it doesn't really bother me, but it was pretty blatant this time around ;)

Name dropping Thrawn like that is interesting, though I wonder whether that is something that is actually connected to this show, or whether it is more of a hint for a possible show with Ahsoka in the lead. The episode did feel at times like a launch pad for a spin-off and not so much like a regular episode of The Mandalorian.

Not that the "new" Thrawn is even remotely as good a villain as he was in the Thrawn trilogy. They kind of missed on using an altered version of that story in the post-ROTJ storyline. Having Thrawn lead a short-lived Imperial resurgance, before the Empire faded away after his death, culminating in the battle of Jakku, would have fit very well.

Edited by George Parr
  • Like 3

I was actually slightly let down by the episode. 

I think everyones reactions and ratings had me expecting this to be the best episode yet, whereas it was a perfectly solid standalone episode that I quite enjoyed. It was cool to see Ashoka live action but it didn't have the punch/awe I was wanting. Her place in this story is currently a lot smaller than what everyone was expecting I think. 

Filoni just didn't take it to the next level with his directing for me, it feels like we regressed back a bit after some some standout directing in EP1 and 3. It was pretty good TV directing. He did improve from last season though. 

Some spoilery thoughts:

Spoiler

• Seeing Michael Biehn again was fun! Was hoping he would survive so we could see him more. 
  • The opening was pretty cool, the perspectives were a little weird at times and it's a bit choppy but it establishes Ashoka as a badass well enough.
  • Love the musical call backs, Ludwig did a couple last episode and none of it feels out of place.
  • It bothered me that Bo Kantans and Ashoka's first appearances are basically structured the same to set up bigger stories for the both of them. It was just a little too familiar.
  • That being said I'm excited by the prospect of a live action rebels sequel. This episode felt more like a backdoor pilot for that than anything (Which deserves it's own show). It doesn't feel like they're setting Ashoka up to be an important part of The Mandalorian story, it seems like a one/done unless they make the Thrawn/Ezra plot tie into Moff Gideon which could be done. 
  • Would have liked to see more characterisation from Ashoka, we get brief moments where I went there she is! But she was a bit of an exposition/reference/backstory machine for most of it. 
  • Baby Yoda's backstory was the strongest part, a lot of really exciting stuff revealed and his character has real dimensions now! I feel so sorry for him. 
  • Ashoka's skill level was toned down a lot for live action, especially in that ending fight. It's one of those things that has to be done but it'll take some getting used to. 

Overall I had a lot of fun though! It might seem like I'm harping on it a bit but it was an entertaining episode, another solid adventure for The Mandalorian. And it's cool to see where this could potentially go. 

8/10

Edited by FilmFincher
  • Like 1

Good episode, but I feel like the fans of Clone Wars are getting a bit blinded by rose tinted glasses when they proclaim it the best episode or a “masterpiece” (like IGN). As someone who couldn’t get past the first Jar Jar episode of Clone Wars, Ahsoka didn’t really have the impact that I thought she would, as has been said already by others here, she was basically just another McGuffin direction giver, there’s nothing wrong with that I should add, but it was hardly a show altering episode because of her.

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it and I loved the lightsaber fight scenes and Child backstory details, but for me I enjoyed last weeks more.

I’d happily watch a proper live action Ahsoka show with Rosario Dawson though, so I suppose it did it’s job if that’s what they’re aiming for.

Honestly, my main giddy moment was seeing Michael Biehn 😂

• Like 2

This was a good episode, best of the season. I don't necessarily agree that it was the best episode of the series so far, I think "Redemption" was definitely better and one could make a case for a couple of others as well. But this was a lot of fun and definitely delivered on anticipation.

Spoiler

The best part of this apart from Ahsoka's return was Baby Yoda/Grogu and Mando developing that parent/child relationship even more, along with getting a bit more backstory and a name for Grogu. Been wanting to see more of that for a while now.

Mostly good translation of Ahsoka to live action, performance was generally spot-on. It was ridiculous that the Magistrate put up that much of a fight against her, though I understand why it was written that way. Ahsoka realistically should have destroyed her very quickly.

Corvus is the best new planet (is it new? haven't seen it before, at least) that we've seen in the series so far. Some nice touches in the environments. Filoni always brings it when it comes to worldbuilding.

Curious if Thrawn is going to play a part in this or if that was just an Easter egg for Rebels/EU fans. If they're still looking for Thrawn, I guess Ezra probably hasn't been found yet which is pretty sad. When can he see his family again?

Where is Sabine? Her absence when Ahsoka is present has me worried.

HK-47 was a nice little easter egg, as was the quick shot of Morai and using Tython. 

Very curious to see what will happen on the seeing stone on Tython. I'm hoping we go there next week rather than have a standalone episode in between. The plot is getting more interesting now so better not to wait around. Also was expecting Grogu to be kidnapped since the Imperials have a tracking device on Mando's ship, I wonder what they were waiting for. 

If Grogu being on the Seeing Stone could attract Jedi, couldn't he attract Sith/Dark Side users as well? Obviously Palpatine is in hiding at the moment, but it seems like a big risk. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Menor said:

This was a good episode, best of the season. I don't necessarily agree that it was the best episode of the series so far, I think "Redemption" was definitely better and one could make a case for a couple of others as well. But this was a lot of fun and definitely delivered on anticipation.

Hide contents

It was ridiculous that the Magistrate put up that much of a fight against her, though I understand why it was written that way. Ahsoka realistically should have destroyed her very quickly.

I had some thoughts about this just a bit ago:

Spoiler

Ahsoka could have wiped the floor with her, yes.  But she was trying to win without killing her/beating her so badly that information wouldn't be forthcoming.

And it was information she wanted more than anything else.  It could even be that she decided that she had to beat the Magistrate in a certain way as to maximize the odds of getting the info she wanted.

So she was intentionally holding back, IMO.  Not so much fighting with one hand tied behind her back, but not far off it.

Spoiler

If Grogu being on the Seeing Stone could attract Jedi, couldn't he attract Sith/Dark Side users as well? Obviously Palpatine is in hiding at the moment, but it seems like a big risk. 

Spoiler

True true.  But it's a decent bet now that they are setting up a Luke Skywalker appearance (sorry, @Ahsoka, think Ezra is gonna be the star of his own series/quest. ;)).

I was highly skeptical of the speculation on that front, to say the least.  But now?  It makes a ton of sense in story for him to show up.

Still skeptical of Grogu leaving the show, but it could be some sort of cliffhanger deal.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4

Also I just reversed course on some internal speculation I had late last night [though I never shared it here]:

Spoiler

I was originally musing that Bo-Katan would eventually get her hands on the Beskar Spear, as a way of having a more even fight against Gideon's Darksaber.

But I just realized, wait-a-mo, this is still The Mandalorian.  What if one of the reasons for this episode was so Din Djarin has a weapon than has a chance of going toe-to-toe with Gideon's Darksaber?

He's not an expert at it, no.  At the same time, this episode went out of its way to show that lightsabers and beskar steel can match mano-a-mano.  Twice, even.

What if one of the in-story reasons for this episode is to give Mando one of the tools necessary to stand up to (if not defeat) Moff Gideon?

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 5

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, Porthos said:

True true.  But it's a decent bet now that they are setting up a Luke Skywalker appearance (sorry, @Ahsoka, think Ezra is gonna be the star of his own series/quest. ;)).

As I said in the Telegram chat, I will down the world if they go that root.  Do not soil my perfect non-Skywalker Star Wars canon without that nonsense. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Menor said:

Hide contents

The best part of this apart from Ahsoka's return was Baby Yoda/Grogu and Mando developing that parent/child relationship even more, along with getting a bit more backstory and a name for Grogu. Been wanting to see more of that for a while now.

Mostly good translation of Ahsoka to live action, performance was generally spot-on. It was ridiculous that the Magistrate put up that much of a fight against her, though I understand why it was written that way. Ahsoka realistically should have destroyed her very quickly.

Corvus is the best new planet (is it new? haven't seen it before, at least) that we've seen in the series so far. Some nice touches in the environments. Filoni always brings it when it comes to worldbuilding.

Curious if Thrawn is going to play a part in this or if that was just an Easter egg for Rebels/EU fans. If they're still looking for Thrawn, I guess Ezra probably hasn't been found yet which is pretty sad. When can he see his family again?

Where is Sabine? Her absence when Ahsoka is present has me worried.

HK-47 was a nice little easter egg, as was the quick shot of Morai and using Tython. 

Very curious to see what will happen on the seeing stone on Tython. I'm hoping we go there next week rather than have a standalone episode in between. The plot is getting more interesting now so better not to wait around. Also was expecting Grogu to be kidnapped since the Imperials have a tracking device on Mando's ship, I wonder what they were waiting for. 

Regarding the tracking device planted last week. I assume that Gideon is hoping that Din succeeds in finding the child’s home world and that’s why they’re waiting. If one of his species is so valuable to them, imagine how valuable millions would be.

• Like 2