Fullbuster

The Mandalorian | March 2023 for S3

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m assuming Carano was already warned about this, in which case, that would make her tweet all the more dumb. Still, maybe Disney should’ve given her the chance to apologize before giving her the boot. 

Given the months of backlash she's been receiving, I'm sure she has been given plenty of warnings by Disney. I don't support cancel culture but I am surprised it took them this long to sack her.

Look, this is really simple folks.  The entertainment business is still a business.  As it is, I have enough of a latent libertarian streak in me (lower case l for the record) that I am somewhat uncomfortable with folks trying to get other folks fired for jobs that are purely private in nature.  Emphasis on somewhat as this isn't the thread to really examine the broader social movements that this touches on. 

But this is different.  This is a person who engages with the public, as BOZ pointed out.  Hell, this is a person who depends on public good will.  Start pissing off the public and you start to fuck with the bottom line.   @filmlover is also right when it comes to the Roseanne analogy.

Had Gina Carano reached the Roseanne threshold?  Well, to the people she was hurting with her comments, yes.  But it's more likely that Disney/Lucasfilm wanted to head this off at the pass before it reached Roseanne level of toxicity with the general public.  Roseanne's antics were in the Trades for months.  This was the first time Gina's behavior was really widely reported on outside of a rather bland look at some of her transphobic comments months after the fact.

But it's also true that Gina Carano just wasn't as important as Roseanne in the grand scheme of things.  Gina also didn't have a cache of power built up or decades of good will to piss away.  So it was "easier" to deal with her when she reached a certain threshold of bad behavior.

As it is, I doubt Disney truly "wanted" to do this, as if they did they could have publicly let her go back in November.  Or December when S2 was over.  We already know that Pedro Pascal had a "Come to Jesus" style talk with Gina over her initial transphobic comments, and that obviously didn't take.  It's quite likely that folks within Lucasfilm or Disney were trying to get her to back off.

She didn't. In fact she got worse.  "Erratic" was the way it was described by one of the Trades yesterday and that undersells it.  She was charging full on into the arms of the alt-right and it was only going to get worse.  Her own behavior pointed to that.

tl;dr: Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 6

Funnily enough, her firing came hours after Hollywood Reporter published an article about all the stars who have lost projects/representation this past week (Armie Hammer, Shia LaBeouf, Marilyn Manson, country music star Morgan Wallen) due to controversy. At this point it's like "who's going to cause massive fallout today?"

Agencies, Studios Debate: When to Drop a Star Who Becomes Toxic? | Hollywood Reporter

• Like 3

Disney should vet people who want to be in their movies and shows, if they said weird stuff on social networks or seem to be part of a problematic fringe group.

Vetting means avoiding issues before they happen.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Funnily enough, her firing came hours after Hollywood Reporter published an article about all the stars who have lost projects/representation this past week (Armie Hammer, Shia LaBeouf, Marilyn Manson, country music star Morgan Wallen) due to controversy. At this point it's like "who's going to cause massive fallout today?"

Agencies, Studios Debate: When to Drop a Star Who Becomes Toxic? | Hollywood Reporter

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

No he's probably not. His priority is just TLOU but he'll likely still be doing Mando. I don't think he needs to be on set for Mando most of the time either.

Mando got cursed because of it's too much popularity too soon. 

13 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

So is Pedro Pascal leaving Mando ?? The recent deadline article is little concerning.

TLOU is his first priority according to the article, but they do say that he will be able to continue on The Mandalorian. I’d imagine they’ll just do what they did for most of Mando season 1 and just have him do the voice over while his stunt double does the physical on set acting, with Pedro being on set for any scenes that require the helmet to be off. Given how season 2 ended it’s likely that his helmet will be staying on for the most part anyway, he was only taking it off for Grogu.

TLOU is probably only 8-10 episodes per year as well, so it’s not like he’s tied down to it to the point where he can’t do anything else. 

Did they announce when Last of Us starts filming? Either way, Pascal was filming Wonder Woman about the same time season 1 was and he had stand-ins for certain scenes. The value of a faceless character is you just need somebody with the same build for the job if Pedro's unavailable.

6 minutes ago, Eric Gardner said:

Did they announce when Last of Us starts filming? Either way, Pascal was filming Wonder Woman about the same time season 1 was and he had stand-ins for certain scenes. The value of a faceless character is you just need somebody with the same build for the job if Pedro's unavailable.

Season 3 of this isn't shooting until later in the year, it seems.

The actor recently became available for a new series, attracting multiple big offers from top premium networks and streamers, opting to do The Last Of Us.

Pedro Pascal To Star As Joel In ‘The Last Of Us’ HBO Series – Deadline

In regards to the Gina Carano stuff it just goes to show you that these companies are loosing their appetite to deal with actors and their off-screen dramas/issues. Just a few months ago Warner Brothers straight up called Johnny Depp and said "don't come in to work tomorrow" and booted him off those Fantastic Beasts movies because of all that mess going on between him and Amber Heard.

Also I believe Armie Hammer is getting removed from some stuff too if I'm correct. And then Shia Labeouf getting kicked off a project by Olivia Munn due to her "No assholes" policy in addition to those allegations against him. This should be a wake up call to the rest of the problematic people in hollywood: get your shit together/keep it together or you'll likely get shown the door. Companies are trying to stay afloat and aint got time to deal with all that other nonsense.

Edited by clockwork
  • Like 1

From Star Wars to a Ben Shapiro project no one will ever see in less than 48 hours. This is one of those "how the mighty have fallen" moments where you can't help but point and laugh.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

From Star Wars to a Ben Shapiro project no one will ever see in less than 48 hours. This is one of those "how the mighty have fallen" moments where you can't help but point and laugh.

Well, I suppose that’s better than not getting any work at all...

On 2/11/2021 at 3:26 PM, George Parr said:

Yeah, right.

She made questionable comment after questionable comment. There is exactly one person who is to blame for all this, and it's her and her alone. Trying to twist this into people trying to silence others is absurd from start to finish.

Maybe you can excuse her first comments, but everything that followed was a gongshow. She lied about the pandemic, she lied and spread conspiracy theories about the election again and again. And then she agreed with a completely lunatic comparison to the Holocaust. Every company has the right to decide who it wants to work with, and if a specific worker continuously acts in a way that just isn't acceptable, it can part ways with said person. That happens countless times every day. But somehow here it is supposed to be "cancel culture". What a bunch of bs.

It's just weird to act as if a person should be immune from repercussions concerning his own acts. That's the anti-thesis of free-speech. It basically gives immunity to those who act without regard for others, while punishing those who don't accept such a behaviour.

And don't even start with that "this is what the Nazis thought" stuff, as you completely distort what actually happened. In fact, the Nazis, prior to the rise to power made use of this exact tactic, making outrageous claims, poisening the minds of people, hiding behind "free speech", and trying to paint themselves as the victims when anyone dared to speak up against their vile garbage. As per your logic, anyone who tried to push back against them would be guilty of cancelling them. Do you recognize how stupid that sounds?

It's simply rich to portray defending democry as the evil deed, while painting those who try to destroy it as the victims who "merely voiced their opinions". You don't get to sabotage democracy, only to pretend that you did nothing wrong when someone dares to push back on it.

There definately are cases where people go after other people because they cannot stand the opinion of the other person, and yes that is true for both extremes, but this particular case has nothing whatsoever to do with that. She had more than enough chances not to make a fool out of herself, and she opted against it. Disney has every right to break any connections to people who act in such a way. That isn't cancelling someone, that's having consequences for your actions. Gina Carano is free to voice her opinion about any matter she wishes, and everyone else is equally free to voice their opinion about her opinion, including not wanting to be associated with her anymore. Saying that such a thing is not okay would be nothing more than stealing the right to free speech from those YOU don't agree with.

Let's be real here, the woman was clearly referring to the small minority of people hounding her with threats and wishing she would catch covid.  Granted she is a celebrity who should be able to ignore the comments section but she's also a known hot head, probably something Disney should have considered before hiring an ex mma fighter who used to beat people up for a living into their liberal/family franchise. This is the same company that happily introduced Bill Blur into the cast who has a history of sexist comments passed off as comedy but its not done in easily accessible tweets. Disney fire (or rehire) people based on public reaction rather than the subject, as seen with James Gunn.

Pedro Fascal, the shows star also made the comparison to Trumps policies with concentration camps. No-body cared, no-one was called anti semitic for the exaggeration. Nazi comparisons have been nothing new this past 5 years  Even if people see her comment as an over simplified stretch, I dont think it's accurate for me to be seeing 'anti semitic' plastered on my news feeds which is also a stretch. Is it a stupid comment to tweet when you work for Disney? Sure. Was it a racist tweet? No.

As for the anti mask and voter fraud, i wouldn't know, I haven't seen them though wouldn't this comes down to stupidity and believing a misleading government? something many people in your country is guilty of. Is it really lying if they genuinely believe it? Do you ladies and gentleman not ever consider that you are just more intelligent than these people?  Again she was an mma fighter and without sounding rude, they aren't usually the brightest tools in the shed. I personally don't believe it should be celebrated that she has lost her career for being stupid. Maybe i just rationalise things differently, say if someone I knew said something stupid like that to me, I wouldn't ring their boss and try and get them fired. I'd rather try and talk sense into them than ruin their lives.

On 2/11/2021 at 5:17 PM, Fullbuster said:

Disney should vet people who want to be in their movies and shows, if they said weird stuff on social networks or seem to be part of a problematic fringe group.

Vetting means avoiding issues before they happen.

I'm sure they already do this. Companies tend to do it on employee's they are looking to hire. I remember 13 years ago an interviewer made a joke about my old bebo account, even I had forgot it existed. 

55 minutes ago, Chicago said:

also made the comparison to Trumps policies with concentration camps

see how the children of illegals are still missing, the whole disgusting separation idea, he was way more right about the comparison than her, as there is an actual overlap in the methods.

Beside you seem to have missed other themes she hurt and angered others about, there is a difference between falling for lies and actively mocking others.

In the sum I feel like you might have missed quiet a few of the details that were the ‘more than others’ did.

BTW, ‘nice’ prejudicial try to shift the responsibility, see ‘considered before hiring an ex mma fighter who used to beat people up for a living’. Do you earnestly belief all ex martial arts fighters and similar are thinking / spreading right-wing nonsense, and/or are mocking eg transgender, or are mocking mask wearers or are such whiners they have to cry per outrageous comparisons to real victims instead of taking the music for the own acts?

(again feel reminded about Jessie)

2 hours ago, Chicago said:

I'm sure they already do this. Companies tend to do it on employee's they are looking to hire. I remember 13 years ago an interviewer made a joke about my old bebo account, even I had forgot it existed. 

In that case then she radicalized after being hired, and that's where Disney might have to work on, they must make it very clear that they won't hesitate to fire them if they hurt the brand, no matter who they are.