Fullbuster

The Mandalorian | March 2023 for S3

Finished my rewatch of both Mando and Boba now, looking forward to tonights episode in about 6 hours. Those last few episodes of Mando Season 2 are great really got me hyped for this season. 

Boba while clearly a step down from both Mando seasons had some cool moments, I'm still disappointed that they had The Twins as a fake out, the Hutts and BK vs. Boba and Fennec could have been great and would have been a better use of Cad Bane, in my opinion, as he already has a preexisting relationship with the Hutts in The Clone Wars. 

• Like 1

Just now, Porthos said:

And, really, the series is pretty enjoyable overall.  As I said in the linked post not everything is the WOOOOOORST EVAR or BESTSEST THING!11!  Some things just do some things very well and some things... less well.  I suppose I could spend a future post listing what this series did do well and perhaps I will.  But I think I'll save it for another time.

Say whenever I decide to watch this series in chronological order (i.e. jump in and out of episodes and watch all of the flashbacks in order before shifting to 'present day'). :ph34r:

Jumping from the Fett thread to this one, as it's better suited here, and it IS one thing, ONE BADLY NEEDED THING, that the Boba Fett series did very well, and actually somewhat subtly:

Grogu is growing in agency.

At two major turning points in the series, Grogu doesn't just react to situations around him or react defensively/instinctively.  No, in at least two separate instances, he acts like his OWN character and does things BECAUSE HE WANTS TO.

This is a badly, badly, BADLLLLLLY needed shift from "Baby" Yoda to a more growing up character.

For those who haven't seen Fett, the two things I'm talking about are

Spoiler

Choosing the chainmail shirt is obviously one.  But the other is when he stepped into the climatic battle and tamed the berserk rancor.

There is some antecedents with this with how Grogu healed Greef Karga and how he stopped the mudhorn from killing Mando back in S1, yes.  But this just seems much more overt and for lack of a better term, less instinctual.  

Growing agency, as I said.

I don't think for a moment this is an accident in storytelling and I will be more than a bit surprised if we don't see the continued growth of Grogu from being reactive to proactive.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I don't think for a moment this is an accident in storytelling and I will be more than a bit surprised if we don't see the continued growth of Grogu from being reactive to proactive.

One last post before the premiere.

Putting my marker down now, here.

Sometime this season, and I don't know when or how, we **are** getting Baby Yoda's "first words".

300 quatloos on a gurgled/mangled/truncated "This is The Way." :ph34r:

(could be "Mando", naturally, but I'll be honest — I'll prefer it to be the above 😛)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

Well, that went better than it could have!

Spoiler

I mean, Bo-Katan's not holding a grudge.

THAT'S A START!

Well, not a terminal grudge at any rate! :ph34r:

Like, she didn't just up and up attack him then and there.  Would have laid at least 2:1 odds that she would have attempted it.

===

Also almost sorta kinda respect the baller move of just throwing people into the deep end in regards to Grogu.  Not even the barest of a mention in the "previously" segment.

Respect the audacity, if not the wisdom.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Potiki said:

Solid first episode, a lot of set up

Hide contents

Love that they are bringing IG-11 back, also that fighter dog fight in the astroids was great! I loved how it was shot and choreographed. 

What I liked was

Spoiler

actions have consequences.  

Logical consequences, even.

*cough* :ph34r:

I'm sure some folks will bitch and moan about bringing back another dead character, but it makes sense for Din Djarin who really doesn't trust any other droid.

It also helps that the first attemp spectacularly blew up in his face and the second failed as well.  Mando is gonna have to earn his Lazarus Fix It Kit here.

Why a droid in the first place?  Eh, fair enough.  But since one source of muscle couldn't keep her yap shut on the Holonet went and got sent offscreen kicked upstairs, IG-11 is one of the next logical sources of said muscle.

didn't have the same *BANG* as The Marshall but for setting up threads for a season and telling a somewhat self-contained tale I think it handled the balance fairly right.  No major sources of complaint at least.

Solid start, as you say.

• Like 4

It was fine, I guess, but a season opener should have a bit more oomph than that.

My feeling after the end was more of a Book of Boba Fett like "okay, lets see what they will do next week", and not a "gimme that next episode right now!" the way much of the last two seasons and Andor had done.

Edited by George Parr

Was season 2 any good? I quite enjoyed the first but the feature of low-key, low-stakes ended up feeling like a bug by the finale. Did it up the ante after that, or was it more of the same? 

Edited by Hatebox

I enjoyed it for the most part, but that was one of the weaker Mando episodes. The pacing was off. 

Spoiler

That said, Purrgil and that awesome dogfight in the asteroids was enough for me to give it a positive grade. Interesting in seeing how the season narrative goes, the premiere its job at setting up even if it wasn't as satisfying as it really should have been. 

• Like 2

There was a lot of plot hopping but not a lot of character work so this episode felt a bit thin. Probably could have used a few more minutes to breathe.

Fun episode but mostly a table-setting cluing us in to various major characters and plot beats

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Porthos said:

Well, that went better than it could have!

Hide contents

I mean, Bo-Katan's not holding a grudge.

THAT'S A START!

Well, not a terminal grudge at any rate! :ph34r:

Like, she didn't just up and up attack him then and there.  Would have laid at least 2:1 odds that she would have attempted it.

===

Also almost sorta kinda respect the baller move of just throwing people into the deep end in regards to Grogu.  Not even the barest of a mention in the "previously" segment.

Respect the audacity, if not the wisdom.

Spoiler

I think Bo-Katan might be being groomed t take the place of the Gina Carnio charecter as the resident Warrior Women 

On 3/1/2023 at 8:08 PM, Hatebox said:

Was season 2 any good? I quite enjoyed the first but the feature of low-key, low-stakes ended up feeling like a bug by the finale. Did it up the ante after that, or was it more of the same? 

I think people's silence on this says more than words ever could. Thanks for the tacit answer everyone 😔

Edited by Hatebox
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

16 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I think people's silence on this says more than words ever could. Thanks for the tacit answer everyone 😔

Uh, no, it doesn't. Sometimes people aren't around, or just don't bother answering a question they might not care about.

First off, I don't see where "low stakes" comes from in the first place. Sure, it didn't have the fate of the galaxy at stake, but that was about to be expected, considering who the character is and that it is just a tv-show.

As a whole, the quest of the week format mostly stayed around, though there was a bit more of an overarching storyline. It was quite a bit different than the first one, though if you didn't love the first one I doubt that would change for the second one.

• Like 3

After two good episode in the BOBF . This was just rushed and dissapointing. Not a great start to the season but it was more of a set up episode so will see what next week brings .

Episode 5 of BOBF should have the premiere ,they should have let baby yoda plotline go tbh. Return of the mandalorian episode was fantastic and it didn't have baby yoda in it.

Side quest of the week plot worked best in season 1 was getting tedious in season 2. should ditch it and focus more on the overarching narrative that was started in season 2.

Liked the ending and some neat action  but overall sloppy episode n definitely one of the weakest episodes . Hope the rest of the season delivers payoffs on what is being set up .