Fullbuster

The Mandalorian | March 2023 for S3

36 minutes ago, Wondy said:

This is prequel slander. 

A post-Xmas treat, just for you, Cap. :)

DBwJltDXYAM2Y8I?format=jpg&name=4096x409

(yes, it's a real thing)

((well, as much as anything is "real" in the self-referential/fun side of SW Twitter))

(((for folks unaware, that is one of the producers of The Star Wars Show and is an unabashed prequel fan, along with many fellow prequel fans on that thread who are connected to Lucasfilm in one capacity or another)))

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Porthos said:

So I know more than anyone just how imperfect IMDB ratings are.  Especially for fanboy properties and double especially for beloved fanboy properties (laughs in both TLJ and TROS).

That being said, I think the following is a little interesting:

Current IMDB ratings for SW properties [not including individual episode ratings for TV shows]:

"Big Boy" division only (for certain value of "big")

Mando:  8.8/10 (249,218)
ESB:    8.7/10 (1,150,023)
ANH:    8.6/10 (1,221,971)
TCW:    8.3/10 (59,203)
RotJ:   8.3/10 (942,779)
Rebels: 8.0/10 (29,163)
TFA:    7.9/10 (855,128)
R1:     7.8/10 (549,776)
RotS:   7.5/10 (705,803)
TLJ:    7.0/10 (558,654)
Solo:   6.9/10 (287,122)
RotS:   6.6/10 (364,556)
TPM:    6.5/10 (724,594)
AotC:   6.5/10 (636,580)

Yeah.  No pressure, other SW D+ shows. 👍

TCW has gone up quite quickly (I guess due to the excellent finale). I remember it was at 7.9 not too long ago. At this rate it could shoot up to #1 given some time.

5 hours ago, Porthos said:

(((for folks unaware, that is one of the producers of The Star Wars Show and is an unabashed prequel fan, along with many fellow prequel fans on that thread who are connected to Lucasfilm in one capacity or another)))

CauSE they ARE AMAZING. 

Spoiler

As two live action episodes of The Clone Wars and then its tragic live action finale  

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Menor said:

TCW has gone up quite quickly (I guess due to the excellent finale). I remember it was at 7.9 not too long ago. At this rate it could shoot up to #1 given some time.

*does some quick research*

Yeah, I dunno about that.  I think it might stall out at around 8.5 or so, more because of access on D+ than anything else.  It was available in full on Netflix forever, yes.  But the current SW TV explosion might be helping it more as curious SW fans attracted to D+ backfill on it.

Still, let's check some stats courtesy of the Wayback Machine,

Jan  2016 7.9 (25,176)
July 2016 7.9 (27,899)
Feb  2017 8.0 (30,538)
July 2017 8.0 (32,111)
Jan  2018 8.0 (33,854)
July 2018 8.0 (35,968)
Jan  2019 8.1 (38,894)
July 2019 8.1 (39,769)
Jan  2020 8.1 (42,912)
July 2020 8.2 (53,187)
Dec  2020 8.3 (59,297)

It added around 10k ratings before and after S7 and another 6k in the back half of this year.  Hard to really analyze much more on the jumps since IMDB only shows one decimal place (could have jumped in 2020 from 8.14 to 8.25 for instance).  Still if there aren't rounding issues, going up .2 points in a single year is hella impressive.  But I don't know if it has enough power to get past ESB as it did take a near doubling of ratings to rise 0.3 points.

Prob get a decent bounce in ratings over the next six months as folks who watched S2 of Mando dip into it to see what the fuss is about regarding certain characters and another bump when The Bad Batch airs.  And yet another bump in ratings whenever the hell Ahsoka airs.

But top of the list?  Think I'd like to see another year's worth of data before boarding that train as my gut says it starts to face a very tough climb at the 8.5 to 8.6 range.

Edited by Porthos
changed slightly incorrect terminology regarding decimals
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

*does some quick research*

Yeah, I dunno about that.  I think it might stall out at around 8.5 or so, more because of access on D+ than anything else.  It was available in full on Netflix forever, yes.  But the current SW TV explosion might be helping it more as curious SW fans attracted to D+ backfill on it.

Still, let's check some stats courtesy of the Wayback Machine,

Jan  2016 7.9 (25,176)
July 2016 7.9 (27,899)
Feb  2017 8.0 (30,538)
July 2017 8.0 (32,111)
Jan  2018 8.0 (33,854)
July 2018 8.0 (35,968)
Jan  2019 8.1 (38,894)
July 2019 8.1 (39,769)
Jan  2020 8.1 (42,912)
July 2020 8.2 (53,187)
Dec  2020 8.3 (59,297)

It added around 10k ratings before and after S7 and another 6k in the back half of this year.  Hard to really analyze much more on the jumps since IMDB only shows one significant digit (could have jumped in 2020 from 8.14 to 8.25 for instance).  Still if there aren't rounding issues, going up ,2 points in a single year is hella impressive.  But I don't know if it has enough power to get past ESB as it did take a near doubling of ratings to rise 0.3 points..

Prob get a decent bounce in ratings over the next six months as folks who watched S2 of Mando dip into it to see what the fuss is about regarding certain characters and another bump when The Bad Batch airs.  And yet another bump in ratings whenever the hell Ahsoka airs.

But top of the list?  Think I'd like to see another year's worth of data before boarding that train as my gut says it starts to face a very tough climb at the 8.5 to 8.6 range.

Yeah, my timeline was off. I had thought it was 7.9 more recently than that. Your reasoning looks right to me. 

• Like 1

You know, I had no intention of buying a Mando calendar, and then Danilo had a 2 for 1 sale on Black Friday and I couldn't resist. Bought both the Mando and the Grogu calendars (along with the Black Widow and Birds of Prey ones), and I'm happy I did. They really did have some great art for the show and now I get to stare at it for all of 2021. I'm glad they also included the one of Din holding his finger out to Grogu from the end of the first episode, that's still my absolute favourite piece and sums up what makes the show special for me. Really makes me wonder what's going to happen with S3 because the thought of them being separated hurts my heart.

• Like 2

On 12/27/2020 at 7:02 PM, Gamora said:

Really makes me wonder what's going to happen with S3 because the thought of them being separated hurts my heart.

This something I'd like to open up to the thread, as I was just thinking about this and it's a good jumping on point.  Set aside the "Disney would never let them do X" arguments as Disney has allowed all sorts of crazy things to happen in SW under their watch.

Do we think this is the last we've seen of Grogu?  Or at least for a very long time? Do we think he's back almost immediately in S3?  Or is it gonna be kinda teased out as a season long plotline and he doesn't come back 'till the middle of the season or late toward the end of S3.

Baby Grogu is part of the heart of the show.  But seeing how Din Djarin reacts with a Grogu sized hole in his heart? Well I almost wonder if the story telling opportunities are too good to pass up.  At least for a while.

Not really sure which way they might be going here.  For all of the input of Dave Filoni and others in LFL, this still is Jon Favreau's story, after all.  Or at least his vision.  So I really can't use, say, Dave Filoni's track record on these sorts of tales. 

Just kinda curious what folks expectations are here, short and long term.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Porthos said:

This something I'd like to open up to the thread, as I was just thinking about this and it's a good jumping on point.  Set aside the "Disney would never let them do X" arguments as Disney has allowed all sorts of crazy things to happen in SW under their watch.

Do we think this is the last we've seen of Grogu?  Or at least for a very long time? Do we think he's back almost immediately in S3?  Or is it gonna be kinda teased out as a season long plotline and he doesn't come back 'till the middle of the season or late toward the end of S3.

Baby Grogu is part of the heart of the show.  But seeing how Din Djarin reacts with a Grogu sized hole in his heart? Well I almost wonder if the story telling opportunities are too good to pass up.  At least for a while.

Not really sure which way they might be going here.  For all of the input of Dave Filoni and others in LFL, this still is Jon Favreau's story, after all.  Or at least his vision.  So I really can't use, say, Dave Filoni's track record on these sorts of tales. 

Just kinda curious what folks expectations are here, short and long term.

I think he will come back in S4 if there is an S4. But if S3 is the last, then I doubt it. Maybe in the last episode of S3.

• Like 1

With them saying all these shows are building towards a 'climatic story event' I think Thrawn gets tied in somewhere down the line (Moff Gideon's boss?). Whatever's happening in Rangers could probably be Thrawn lackeys as well.

Mando's storyline I think is heading towards taking on a leadership/king role, uniting the different clans and taking back Mandalore. I think with the way the show is structured that's something we'll see happening over S3/S4. 

I don't see Grogu coming back in the show, unless it's a flashforward like @4815162342 says. With an old man Mando meeting an slightly older Grogu. 

Honestly, and this might be controversial because people have very strong feelings towards anything Star Wars. I would love to see Grogu in post ROS content. To see that whole cast again (or at the very least Rey) and to have them interacting with Grogu would be wonderful. 

What they've done with Grogu is basically secure a character that everybody loves because he's cute and adorable and they can use him for 900 years worth of stories even when he stops being a baby.

I feel like they've done as much as they can with him and Mando in this timeframe without their adventures feeling repetitive. 

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">ahsoka trying to train grogu <a href="https://t.co/VCQ9v75NNZ">pic.twitter.com/VCQ9v75NNZ</a></p>&mdash; 𖤐 (@buzzcutfilm) <a href="https://twitter.com/buzzcutfilm/status/1344167995736809472?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 30, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Spent my New Year's Eve and Day catching up on the second season and this show is easily the best Star Wars project to emerge from the Disney acquisition so far. It was even better than the already strong first season. That finale, wow. I'm actually excited for the multitude of Star Wars shows that are on the way.

• Like 2

Most of it is not strictly germane to this thread, but Kessel Run Transmissions is claiming that "the story of The Mandalorian" is gonna run all the way through 2027.

At 22:30 and 28:25 or so in the above link (the latter is where they say that the finale for Mando will be in 2027).

Take it with a pretty massive grain of salt, naturally.

And even if one is inclined to take it at face value, as I just said in the D+ thread, we know more than anyone that just because Lucasfilm is planning something, doesn't mean it'll actually happen.  Still, could be Mando and Mando-adjacent tales for a long long time.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Most of it is not strictly germane to this thread, but Kessel Run Transmissions is claiming that "the story of The Mandalorian" is gonna run all the way through 2027.

At 22:30 and 28:25 or so in the above link (the latter is where they say that the finale for Mando will be in 2027).

Take it with a pretty massive grain of salt, naturally.

And even if one is inclined to take it at face value, as I just said in the D+ thread, we know more than anyone that just because Lucasfilm is planning something, doesn't mean it'll actually happen.  Still, could be Mando and Mando-adjacent tales for a long long time.

I mean that’s not that far fetched really, assuming they take a year off here and there like they’re doing this year, that’s still only potentially 5 or 6 seasons of the main show if we don’t count the spin offs.

• Like 2

https://deadline.com/2021/01/disney-the-mandalorian-nielsen-streaming-netflix-the-office-1234673701/

Disney’s Star Wars spinoff The Mandalorian has made more history, taking the top spot on the Nielsen weekly U.S. streaming chart in the first weekly win by a non-Netflix show.

The show’s second season edged out The Office, which wound down its run on Netflix in December, by a margin of 1.336 billion total minutes of streaming to 1.311 billion minutes. Apart from The Mandalorian, all other spots in the top 10 were taken by Netflix shows, consistent with the usual pattern.

Nielsen’s weekly chart reflects activity during the week of December 14 to 20. It measures only U.S. viewing on TV sets (leaving out mobile streaming) and has a built-in lag time in reporting, by arrangement with the handful of streaming players being tracked.

• Like 4