grim22

The Upside (Intouchables Remake) | Jan 11 2019 | STX picks it up | Bryan Cranston and Kevin Hart. Neil Burger to direct.

http://deadline.com/2016/08/neil-burger-intouchables-remake-bryan-cranston-kevin-hart-the-weinstein-company-1201808444/

The Weinstein Company has set a January 15 start date for its remake of the French smash hit The Intouchables, after the movie came together quickly withNeil Burger to direct Bryan Cranston and Kevin Hart in the lead roles. The script, a fresh take on the original concept, came in strong from Jon Hartmere, and the past week saw an array of meetings to lock it down between TWC’s Harvey Weinstein and David Glasser with Burger, and Cranston and Hart, the latter of whom did it by phone while on his honeymoon. The film will most likely shoot in New York.

This has long seemed like an ideal picture to remake; it grossed huge internationally with $416 million, but it only did $10 million domestic for the French language film. TWC released the original domestically and got remake rights as part of the bargain and has gone back and forth with several thesps and directors to tell the story about an aristocrat (Francois Cluzet) who, after being paralyzed in a hang-gliding accident, hires a young man (Omar Sy) from the projects to be his caretaker. The original film was directed by Olivier Nakache and Eric Toledano.

The original in France did Force Awakens numbers on crack, steroids & meth combined.

The story & premise have tremendous appeal & potential, if handled right, it could be big.

Another wheelchair movie did very well this year.

Why does it bother some of you if it is remade?  It doesn't take anything away from the original.  And this gives a whole bunch of people the chance to see another version of it and then maybe check out the original.  Seems like a good deal to me.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

Why does it bother some of you if it is remade?  It doesn't take anything away from the original.  And this gives a whole bunch of people the chance to see another version of it and then maybe check out the original.  Seems like a good deal to me.

I haven't seen the original I just wanted an excuse to use that Big Bang Theory gif please don't kill me :ph34r:

The other parts about Weinstein being desperate and my predictions are 100% true though.

2 hours ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

It could turn out like Dinner for Schmuks though... 

Bryan Cranston seems like a good fit. Not Kevin Hart though. Besides the fact that Kevin Hart has never even done a semi serious role before he just doesn't fit the character. Driss was a larger guy who could carry Philippe. Though Kevin isn't a shrimp he just seems too short for the role. Someone like Tyrese Gibson would seem to make more sense to me. 

Uh, Bryan Cranston, start making better career choices please.

Kevin Hart is so wrong for this I actually did a double take seeing his name attached.

The original is great as is. It's a fun, insanely watchable movie. Just because it's in French does not automatically mean it should be remade for American audiences' sake. Honestly, this makes as much sense to me as remaking Amelie. Just don't, Hollywood, just don't.

Edited by JennaJ

3 hours ago, JennaJ said:

Uh, Bryan Cranston, start making better career choices please.

Kevin Hart is so wrong for this I actually did a double take seeing his name attached.

The original is great as is. It's a fun, insanely watchable movie. Just because it's in French does not automatically mean it should be remade for American audiences' sake. Honestly, this makes as much sense to me as remaking Amelie. Just don't, Hollywood, just don't.

No one on this side of the Atlantic knows a think about this movie.  So naturally it's going to be remade.  I don't get what the big deal is.  

7 minutes ago, kowhite said:

So this movie...

Is definitely making less worldwide than the original, right?  Somebody start that club so I can say out.

Well 75% of that ww gross came from La France so I doubt the remake will do a lot here & nobody knows what a Kevin Hart is or its purpose in the Galaxy.

Edited by The Futurist

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-ca-mn-intouchables-remake-20170609-story.html

Movie also has Nicole Kidman

Spreading his acting wings and tackling a dramatic role was always a career goal, explains Hart from the Sun Center set that has been converted into Phillip’s majestic Park Avenue apartment — modeled on the famous Art Deco-styled 740 Park Ave. building.

While the action has shifted from the original film’s setting of Paris to New York City, the production has shifted to Philadelphia and its environs, first throughout the busy Center City area where a speedy car sequence featuring a Ferrari was staged on bustling JFK Boulevard and now on soundstages in neighboring Delaware County, where nearby resident M. Night Shyamalan has shot parts of such films as “After Earth” and “Split.”

At one time, Colin Firth was to play Phillip, while Jamie Foxx, Chris Rock and Idris Elba were in the pool for the role of Dell. Such directors as Tom Shadyac (“Liar, Liar”) and Paul Feig (“Bridesmaids”), who wrote an earlier version of the script, were also involved in the production’s earliest stages.

“Music will also be essential in ‘Untouchable,’” says Burger, “but there will be more of it, especially in regard to the Phillip character.” Added to the film are key scenes showcasing music by Aretha Franklin.

Saw the original awhile back now, in french and not dubbed. The french version is way better IMO, I don't really like dubbing as the actors performances are so much more authentic when you're seeing the movie how it was meant to be seen.