grim22

The Upside (Intouchables Remake) | Jan 11 2019 | STX picks it up | Bryan Cranston and Kevin Hart. Neil Burger to direct.

TOMATOMETER 

30% Rotten

Average Rating: 5/10

Reviews Counted: 61
Fresh: 18
Rotten: 43

Critics Consensus: Preachy, manipulative, and frustratingly clichéd, The Upside showcases Bryan Cranston and Kevin Hart's chemistry without ever taking full advantage of it.

Can't believe that 2018 Hollywood continues making these "magical negro" movies. 

21 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

TOMATOMETER 

30% Rotten

Average Rating: 5/10

Reviews Counted: 61
Fresh: 18
Rotten: 43

Critics Consensus: Preachy, manipulative, and frustratingly clichéd, The Upside showcases Bryan Cranston and Kevin Hart's chemistry without ever taking full advantage of it.

Can't believe that 2018 Hollywood continues making these "magical negro" movies. 

This was actually made in early 2017. 

Funny how people use the cliché concept/idea, I don't see much difference between this/the original and Moonlight and Manchester by the sea or Short 12 or any "adult" drama that are supposed tp be the epitome of great writing and filmmaking.

Whatever movie you are doing you only have 90-130 minutes to tell the story of your characters, of course you re gonna use clichés.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

Funny how people use the cliché concept/idea, I don't see much difference between this/the original and Moonlight and Manchester by the sea or Short 12 or any "adult" drama that are supposed tp be the epitome of great writing and filmmaking.

Not sure if you are 100% serious or on your constant trolling, not only it is a remake but we just had Green Book, those movie you see the formula, the conventional structure and so on much more than a Moonlight or Manchester by the sea. From the first 15 minutes or so, you know you gonna get the happy ending in which both caracther is now stronger from that relationship, each haven their weakness a bit less weak from the contact of that opposite type of characther, the fish out of the water situation and so on.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1

I kept laughing at the clichés of Manchester by the Sea for two hours, the moment I saw Affleck's sad puppy face, I knew exactly  how the movie was gonna play out and I was not disappointed, at least I laughed at the rampant stupidty of this movie that was trying so hard to sell me "authenticity".

Oh and don't get me started on the whole family of the young "hero" of Manchester by the Sea, It was like an SNL skit ... sweet Yeezus ...

So when it s not a feel good movie, it is not clichés ?

Give me a break.

Clichés, tropes, archetypes, whatever you wanna call it, from Short Term 12 to Aquaman & everything in between, same difference.

Every writer knows this perfectly.

Edited by The Futurist

4 hours ago, The Futurist said:

I kept laughing at the clichés of Manchester by the Sea for two hours, the moment I saw Affleck's sad puppy face, I knew exactly  how the movie was gonna play out and I was not disappointed, at least I laughed at the rampant stupidty of this movie that was trying so hard to sell me "authenticity".

Oh and don't get me started on the whole family of the young "hero" of Manchester by the Sea, It was like an SNL skit ... sweet Yeezus ...

So when it s not a feel good movie, it is not clichés ?

Give me a break.

Clichés, tropes, archetypes, whatever you wanna call it, from Short Term 12 to Aquaman & everything in between, same difference.

Every writer knows this perfectly.

:huh:

Of course cliches are in everything. Ever heard of TV Tropes?

I’d even go so far as to say I love some movies that are cliched as hell. But there are good cliches and bad cliches, it’s a spectrum. Cliches are tools which can help aid a story, but when you build a story on tired, reductive cliches, you get a bad film. Imagine that.