baumer

Thursday Numbers (Not the weekend thread) SS (1.67 Deadline)

20 minutes ago, ThatOneMechanic said:

It'll kick in the weekend it loses most of its theaters.

"Woah, 80% drop!  There's that toxic WOM."

The toxic word of mouth will kick in when the movie is no longer showing in cinemas. 100% DROP! :o

• Like 1

Alright guys. Don't start nothing and there won't be nothing.

SS has decent legs. I knew it wasn't going to fall off like BvS. Too many people enjoyed it. Still haven't seen it yet. Shooting for Labor Day weekend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I wonder if the 'toxic WOM' of SS will finally appear in it's fourth weekend. 

It showed up on his 2nd weekend.

2 minutes ago, Gopher said:

If 2.2x is now decent legs and three weekends of 50%+ drops indicates a well liked movie, I guess BvS lowered the bar a lot

Going by your way of thinking Civil War isnt a well liked movie.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, CJohn said:

It showed up on his 2nd weekend.

Going by your way of thinking Civil War isnt a well liked movie.

I think a lot of People doesn't realize Man of Steel has a better multiplier than Civil War (Not trying to start a flame war)Just speaking facts.Hopefully the talks about SS legs will end for some.

Edited by Brainiac5

Comic book movies are known for getting multipliers between 2 and 3.  Some cases ( like Avengers, TASM 1 and others ) have higher multipliers. However, the regular multiplier is that. BVS missed a 2x multiplier, but that's not the rule.

That being said, I miss the good times when movies had huge multipliers. Does anybody even remember that Liam Neeson's flick called Taken? God, that first movie had a 6x multiplier! 6x multiplier!

No wonder Fox wants him to play Cable in Deadpool 2. Guy is a legend, a true hero. Yeah, I really like him. :)

Oh, Deadpool 2 will have a 6x multiplier. 

• Like 1

Clearly the word of mouth for SS isn't "toxic". It was certainly borderline toxic for BvS. After its opening, I had it pegged at about $285 million domestic. It's going to beat that handily. Overseas it seems to be doing well.

But yeah, I just can't agree that the movie has " good" or "decent" legs in any way. CW had mediocre legs - I expected it would at least beat Iron Man 3 and finish around $415-420 million domestic. SS looks to finish with a poorer multiplier. CW didn't have the benefit of those summer weekdays, and it opened $46 million higher (a bigger opening, of course, can often lead to a faster decline).

I realize we live in a frontloaded age, and I'm not deluded enough to say SS is a "flop" (ummm, of course it isn't) and I realize expectations were lowered after the hideous legs of BvS.... But I'm not sure how we can justify saying SS is having "decent" legs. If that's the case, I guess CW had pretty good legs too... and heck, it makes one yearn for the multiplier of Spider-Man 3 (another May release that, unlike SS, didn't have those summer weekdays).

I don't begrudge anyone who enjoyed SS. Personally, I did not, and I know few who did, and I think that reflects in its lack of real legs (domestic at least). What is also reflecting is that people, in general, like it more than BvS. But I think even BvS would have banked another $20 million with summer weekdays on its side. 

Just my two cents. 

8 minutes ago, Gandalf the Off-White said:

Clearly the word of mouth for SS isn't "toxic". It was certainly borderline toxic for BvS. After its opening, I had it pegged at about $285 million domestic. It's going to beat that handily. Overseas it seems to be doing well.

But yeah, I just can't agree that the movie has " good" or "decent" legs in any way. CW had mediocre legs - I expected it would at least beat Iron Man 3 and finish around $415-420 million domestic. SS looks to finish with a poorer multiplier. CW didn't have the benefit of those summer weekdays, and it opened $46 million higher (a bigger opening, of course, can often lead to a faster decline).

I realize we live in a frontloaded age, and I'm not deluded enough to say SS is a "flop" (ummm, of course it isn't) and I realize expectations were lowered after the hideous legs of BvS.... But I'm not sure how we can justify saying SS is having "decent" legs. If that's the case, I guess CW had pretty good legs too... and heck, it makes one yearn for the multiplier of Spider-Man 3 (another May release that, unlike SS, didn't have those summer weekdays).

I don't begrudge anyone who enjoyed SS. Personally, I did not, and I know few who did, and I think that reflects in its lack of real legs (domestic at least). What is also reflecting is that people, in general, like it more than BvS. But I think even BvS would have banked another $20 million with summer weekdays on its side. 

Just my two cents. 

By time SS finishes it's domestic  run it will have a Better Multiplier than Civil War .

Even if it's a .1 difference.

The first week of may is Marvel's sweet spot.They put thier flims in that spot because they feel it's where they are gonna make the most money.

Using the "School day" excuse isn't gonna fly.they have gotten better multipliers from the same date before.

With all the high ratings CW have gotten there's no way it's suppose to be having the same multiplier has a flim that's considered bashed by CRITICS.

If we are gonna give CW the "Not summer release" excuse then we also should for BVS (3/26) right?

• Like 1

Suicide Squad's third weekend drop was pretty damn good considering how much business it did in the weekdays. If this drops less than 50% this weekend that would also be very good.  Considering how bad SS was IMO it is impressive enough that it is not dropping like Warcraft

Edited by John Marston